Latest News from the Race
Hindley ready for Giro d’Italia mountains showdown'I’m 100% here to win. I’m not here to put socks on centipedes' says Australian
Giro d'Italia 2022 Overview
When is the Giro d'Italia 2022?
2022 Dates: May 6 to 29
Start: Budapest, Hungary, 12:40-17:00 CET
Finish: Verona, Italy, 13:55-17:00 CET
The 105th edition of the Giro d’Italia started on Friday, May 6, in Budapest, Hungary and ends on Sunday, May 29 in Verona. The Friday start of the Italian Grand Tour provides an extra rest day and transfer from Hungary to Italy, set to take place on Monday, May 9.
Egan Bernal (Ineos Grenadiers) took the maglia rosa at the last edition of the Giro, which saw him build his overall victory on the strade bianche of Tuscany and then on the climbs above the snow line of the Zoncolan and Passo Giau.
Read below for a rundown on the action so far.
Giulio Ciccone (Trek-Segafredo) soloed to the stage 15 victory of the Giro d'Italia, attacking the remains of the breakaway to ride the final 18km up the summit finish of Cogne alone. Santiago Buitrago (Bahrain Victorious) finished second and Antonio Pedrero (Movistar Team) finished third.
It was a hectic 80km battle for the breakaway to start the 177km stage from Rivarolo Canavese to Cogne. A large breakaway emerged that included 20-plus riders.
Ineos Grenadiers controlled the race on behalf of maglia rosa Richard Carapaz, who was involved in an early-race crash, but managed to get back on his bike with out any time loss.
Carapaz leads the general classification by seven seconds ahead of Jai Hindley (Bora-Hansgrohe) and 30 seconds ahead of João Almeida (UAE Team Emirates).
Results powered by FirstCycling
Stage 11: Dainese sprints to victory on stage 11
Where is the Giro d'Italia today?
The Giro d'Italia has a rest day on Monday and will resume Tuesday, May 24 with stage 15, a mountain day with 202km from Salò to Aprica. There are three monster climbs, including the storied Mortirolo, for 5,250 metres of climbing overall.
The 2022 route has a few surprises, such as the longest stage at 201km that was on May 8 and just two time trials that total just over 26km, the lowest amount since 1962. Mountains are still king and the route is has many signature passes and summits on the menu, including Etna held today on stage 4, and the Blockhaus down south to the Mortirolo in week two, plus the Pordoi and Fedaia in the final week.
You can see the dates and routes for each stage of the Giro d'Italia in our complete Giro d'Italia stage guide.
- Giro d'Italia current standings
- 2022 Giro d’Italia – The Essential Preview
- How to watch the 2022 Giro d'Italia – Live streaming
- Giro d'Italia past winners
- 2022 Giro d'Italia route
- 2022 Giro d'Italia stage routes
- 2022 Giro d'Italia Donne
Giro d'Italia 2022 News and Features
- Carapaz calm and confident before decisive final week at Giro d'Italia
- Hindley and Bora-Hansgrohe switch to defence mode at Giro d’Italia
- A tale of two Sundays as Giulio Ciccone saves Giro d’Italia in Cogne
- Carapaz survives early crash to retain seven-second lead at Giro d’Italia
- Nibali: Tailwind meant it was pointless to attack on stage 15 of the Giro d'Italia
- Almeida angry after Ineos Grenadiers let gaps open in overall contenders’ sprint
- Carthy: I'm happy things are turning around at the Giro d'Italia
- Carapaz in leader’s maglia rosa starts a new Giro d'Italia for Ineos Grenadiers
- Simon Yates considered abandoning Giro d'Italia ahead of Turin stage win
- Tom Dumoulin abandons Giro d'Italia during frantic stage 14
- Romain Bardet abandons the Giro d'Italia with illness
- López and Trek-Segafredo determined to keep maglia rosa dreams alive at Giro d'Italia
- Giro d'Italia turns up the heat before final week
- Giro d'Italia remembers Wouter Weylandt on return to Passo del Bocco
- Caleb Ewan leaves 2022 Giro d'Italia empty handed
- Team DSM hit back at their critics with Giro d'Italia win
- Hindley: Nobody is head and shoulders above the rest on Giro d'Italia
- Dainese defends Italian pride with Giro d'Italia sprint win
- Richie Porte: Despite what Rohan Dennis says, Ineos are still the benchmark team
- Carthy: Giro d'Italia 'overall is still there' despite bad day on Blockhaus
- Carapaz grabs unexpected time bonus on sprint day at the Giro d'Italia
- Giro d'Italia makes podium ceremony changes after Girmay cork injury
- Girmay out of Giro d'Italia after podium eye injury
- The Giro d’Italia from hell continues for Caleb Ewan
- Giro d'Italia: Van der Poel evaporates in sprint against Girmay
- Polymath Pozzovivo moonlights as lead-out man for Girmay at Giro d’Italia
- Girmay taken to hospital after capturing historic victory at the Giro d'Italia
- Giro d'Italia rider of the day: Biniam Girmay captures historical victory
- Yates out of Giro d'Italia GC race after dropping 11 minutes on Blockhaus
- The Abruzzo connection – Cataldo and Ciccone come full circle at Giro d’Italia
- Italy’s wait for Giro d’Italia stage win continues as Formolo goes close
- Bouwman 'lands a big one' with Giro d'Italia stage win
- Gaviria relegated after collision with DSM train at Giro d'Italia
- Démare delighted to get winning mojo back at Giro d'Italia
- Gaviria lashes out at 's**t bike' after Giro d'Italia sprint miss
- Juan López following mentor Contador's wheel tracks in Giro d'Italia
- Kämna hits Giro d'Italia bullseye after two near misses
- Tom Dumoulin: At the moment, I have as few answers as you have
- Motorbike causes crash at Giro d'Italia - Video
- Miguel Ángel López abandons Giro d'Italia
- Guarnieri delivers 'silent but not silent' protest of Hungary's transphobic laws
- Giro d'Italia arrives in Sicily after rest day transfer
- Joe Dombrowski's Giro diary – Hungary gave the race a different feel
- Philippa York analysis: Yates and Carapaz on top before Giro's first mountain test
- Mathieu van der Poel recognises time in pink may run out on Etna
- Mark Cavendish: I’m old, but I’m still me
- Giro d'Italia: Carapaz looks ahead to 'the stages that count' after TT damage
- Early pace set by Simon Yates but Giro d’Italia remains a marathon
- Dumoulin pulls no punches after narrow Giro d’Italia TT defeat
- Mathieu van der Poel puts on another show in Giro d'Italia time trial
- Simon Yates 'ecstatic' with time gains but mindful of 'bigger picture' at Giro d'Italia
- Giro d’Italia: Caleb Ewan gets back up to speed after opening day crash
- Only the beginning – Girmay pushes Van der Poel to limit in Giro d'Italia opener
- 'Practically unbeatable' – Mathieu van der Poel lives up to billing at Giro d'Italia
- Ewan crashes out of contention in Giro d'Italia opener
- Budapest hosts spectacle in pink for Giro d'Italia start - Gallery
Giro d'Italia - Tech
- Carapaz ditches gold Pinarello to save weight, but it's not as simple as it seems
- The best bikes and tech of the Giro d'Italia so far
- Spotted: New Scott time trial bike ridden by Romain Bardet at Giro d'Italia
- Mathieu van der Poel's custom pink Canyon Speedmax for Giro d'Italia time trial
- Simon Yates wears £2,750 Vorteq skinsuit to win Giro d'Italia time trial
- Giro riders spotted using new CeramicSpeed aero derailleur fairing
- Wilier Turbine SLR: A new climber's TT bike to debut at Giro d'Italia
Giro d'Italia - Video Highlights
- Giro d'Italia 2022 stage 15 highlights - Video
- Giro d'Italia 2022 Stage 13 highlights - Video
- Giro d'Italia 2022 stage 12 highlights - Video
- Giro d'Italia 2022 stage 11 highlights - Video
- Giro d'Italia 2022 stage 10 highlights - Video
- Giro d'Italia 2022 stage 9 highlights - Video
- Giro d'Italia 2022 stage 8 highlights - Video
- Giro d'Italia 2022 stage 7 highlights - Video
- Giro d'Italia 2022 stage 6 highlights - Video
- Giro d'Italia 2022 stage 5 highlights - Video
- Giro d'Italia 2022 stage 3 highlights - Video
- Giro d'Italia 2022 stage 2 highlights - Video
- Giro d'Italia 2022 stage 1 highlights - Video
Giro d'Italia - The build up
- Alpecin-Fenix unveil special jersey at Giro d'Italia presentation - Gallery
- What is the prize money for the Giro d'Italia 2022?
- Giro d'Italia 2022 - Comprehensive team-by-team guide
- Volcanic interruption: Mount Etna and the Giro d'Italia
- Giro d'Italia classifications explained
- Giro d'Italia 2022 - Six key stages
- Giro d'Italia 2022 – The GC favourites
- Philippa York analysis: Not much to separate Carapaz and Yates at Giro d'Italia
- More in hope than expectation – The home challenge at the Giro d'Italia
- The eternal optimist – Mikel Landa at the 2022 Giro d’Italia
- Finishing school – Mark Cavendish and the Giro d'Italia
- Van der Poel to make up for lost time at Giro d'Italia
- Mikel Landa looking to tackle Giro d'Italia and Tour de France in 2022
- Almeida focused on climbing and race craft as he targets Giro and Vuelta
- Miguel Angel López 'dreaming big' for 2022 Giro d'Italia
- Alejandro Valverde to ride Giro d'Italia and Vuelta a España in final professional season
Giro d'Italia History
Egan Bernal (Ineos Grenadiers) earned the maglia rosa after 21 days of racing the 2021 Grand Tour. He covered the 3,479.9 kilometres just one minute 29 seconds ahead of Damiano Caruso (Bahrain Victorious) who finished second overall. Third place was secured by Adam Yates (Team BikeExchange), 4:15 behind the Colombian rider.
The tradition of marking the GC leader with a pink jersey was recognised last year with the 90th anniversary of the iconic prize. The maglia rosa was introduced in 1931 by Armando Cougnet, a journalist at La Gazzetta dello Sport, who had created the Giro d'Italia 20 years earlier. The idea was to make the race leader easier to identify in the peloton by race officials and the roadside fans.
Eddy Merckx holds the record of 78 days in the pink jersey, followed by Francesco Moser with 57 and Gino Bartali with 50. Legendary riders who have worn the maglia rosa over the years include Gino Bartali, Fausto Coppi, Charly Gaul, Felice Gimondi, Eddy Merckx, Francesco Moser, Bernard Hinault, Laurent Fignon, Marco Pantani and others.
Giro d'Italia 2022 teams
- AG2R Citroën
- Astana Qazaqstan
- Bahrain Victorious
- EF Education-EasyPost
- Ineos Grenadiers
- Israel-Premier Tech
- Lotto Soudal
- Team DSM
- UAE Team Emirates
- Drone Hopper-Androni Giocattoli
Giro d'Italia 2022
News 'I want to try to leave a mark, but I'm high up on GC so that won't be easy' he says ahead of mountainous final week
News 'I was on the wheel and his teammate was braking, that’s why I took the gap' says UAE Team Emirates leader
News 'I've had a lot of problems with the knee, and it's still not 100%' Briton says following second victory of the race
The latest race content, interviews, features, reviews and expert buying guides, direct to your inbox!
Thank you for signing up to Cyclingnews. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Top News on the Race
Giro d'Italia 2022 stage 15 highlights - VideoWatch as Ciccone takes a solo victory in Cogne
A tale of two Sundays as Giulio Ciccone saves Giro d’Italia in CogneItalian claims stage victory a week after home disappointment on Blockhaus
Carapaz survives early crash to retain seven-second lead at Giro d’Italia'It’s better to defend the jersey than to have to attack to get it' says Carapaz as Ineos Grenadiers control their rivals
Nibali: Tailwind meant it was pointless to attack on stage 15 of the Giro d'Italia'I want to try to leave a mark, but I'm high up on GC so that won't be easy' he says ahead of mountainous final week
Almeida angry after Ineos Grenadiers let gaps open in overall contenders’ sprint'I was on the wheel and his teammate was braking, that’s why I took the gap' says UAE Team Emirates leader
Giro d'Italia: GC standings after stage 15Carapaz remains in the maglia rosa despite early-stage crash
Carthy: I'm happy things are turning around at the Giro d'ItaliaBriton battles to fourth from the break on summit finish at Cogne
López: I'm super happy because I gave my 100% to defend the pink jerseySpaniard says 'the Giro is still alive, eh?' despite dropping out of race lead in Turin
Simon Yates considered abandoning Giro d'Italia ahead of Turin stage win'I've had a lot of problems with the knee, and it's still not 100%' Briton says following second victory of the race
Philippa York analysis: Combining the predictable and bizarre at the Giro d'ItaliaBetween favourites abandoning and corks taking out star sprinters, the Giro is showing its predictable pattern of racing
'Switch off your brain and just go flat out' – Turin stage blows doors off the Giro d'ItaliaEffects of tumultuous day will linger as race hits the Alps on stage 15
'The stage the whole peloton fears' – Giro d'Italia's visit to Turin promises dramaSuperga and Colle della Maddelena make for relentless circuit