The 2020 Olympic Games, due to start on July 24 in Tokyo, were forced to a new, as yet undetermined date in 2021, by a global pandemic of a new type of coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2, that causes in some people severe pneumonia that has resulted in thousands of deaths worldwide.
Competitions began being halted in January, and by March the entire sporting world had screeched to a halt to stop the spread of the virus. With Olympic qualifiers postponed, anti-doping controls reduced and travel restrictions the IOC and local organisers came to the unfortunate decision to postpone the Olympics.
Cyclingnews will update the race dates as they are announced.
- Olympic chiefs dismiss fears coronavirus could derail Tokyo 2020 Games
- Coronavirus cancellations impacting key Tokyo Olympic Games selection events
- Dutch federation president supports Olympic Games postponement
- Coronavirus: Canada and Australia become first nations to pull out of the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games
- Dick Pound says 2020 Olympic Games will be postponed
- Cycling Australia targets potentially rescheduled Olympic Games in 16 months' time
- Tokyo Olympics to be postponed until 2021 due to coronavirus pandemic
- Van Avermaet: A safe Olympics wouldn't have been possible
Olympic Games 202125 July 2021 - 8 August 2021 | Tokyo
Thank you for signing up to Cycling News. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.