Shirin van Anrooij has been taken to hospital with injuries sustained in a crash during the elite women's race at the UCI Cyclo-cross World Cup in Tabor on Sunday. The junior world champion injured her arm and will undergo surgery to correct a wound caused by a piece of disc brake, according to her team Telenet Baloise Lions.
"Shirin Van Anrooij her forearm was injured by a piece of a disc brake in the crash following the start of the race. She will undergo surgery this evening. At this moment, it looks like no muscles or tendons are heavily damaged," the team stated in a post on Twitter.
According to her Telenet Baloise Lions manager Sven Nys following the crash, Van Anrooij was conscious but has sustained injuries to her arm and hip.
"She is conscious, but I have never seen such a wound," Nys told reports from Wielerflits. "It is an open wound and there is also a fracture. Her hip didn't look good either. She also lost a lot of blood.
"Now she is in hospital with her mother. You do not want to experience this. The sad thing is that she also saw the gaping wound herself. It's really bad."
The crash happened at the start of the elite women's race and involved several riders including Loes Sels and Katie Compton
“I heard Shirin calling and had to look away, because it didn't look good. Very bizarre," Sels told Wielerflits. “They hooked together and I went on top of [the crash], too. My back was blocked because of that and it was over after the first round. I don't think it has ever happened in the cross before, such a heavy fall."
Van Anrooij won the junior world title at the UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships held in February in Dübendorf, Switzerland. She is also set to being her road racing season as a neo-pro with Trek-Segafredo in 2021.
In Tabor, Van Anrooij's teammate Lucinda Brand won the elite women's race ahead of world champion Ceylin del Carmen Alvarado (Alpecin-Fenix), second place by 24 seconds, with Denise Betsema (Pauwels Sauzen-Bingoal) completing an all-Dutch podium, 32 seconds back.
Today's best Cyber Monday deals
Today's cycling-related highlights from the Cyber Monday sales. For even more, view our guide to the best Cyber Monday bike deals where you'll find on all things cycling, including bikes, helmets, clothing and more.
Today's best deals: USA
- Amazon: 50% off Garmin Instinct smartwatch |
- Jenson USA: 44% off Castelli Pro rain jacket
- Rapha: 50% off Women's Souplesse Race Cape |
- Competitive Cyclist: 25% off Shimano S-Phyre thermal gloves
- REI: Cannondale Topstone Ultegra RX 2
$3,300.00| $2,804.73 | 15% off
- Oakley: 30% off new Sutro Lite sunglasses | $176.00 | $123.20
- Chain Reaction Cycles: LifeLine 18-piece tool kit
$73.99| $49.99 | 32% off
- ProBikeKit: Continental GP5000 road tyre
$79.99| $36.50 | 54% off
- Wiggle: Fizik R4B Road Shoes
$200.00| $114.00 | 43% off
Today's best deals: UK
- Amazon: 23% off Garmin Forerunner 35 |
- Wiggle: 41% off Assos Schlosshund Equipe RS jacket |
- Argos: GoPro Hero7 White for £99.99
- Wiggle: 44% off Kask Valegro helmet |
- Oakley: 20% off Sutro sunglasses |
- ProBikeKit: 300-lumen rear Lezyne light for under £35.00
- Tredz: 29% off Blackburn Mag 5 turbo trainer |
- Wiggle: Muc-Off Cleaning kit | 40% off at just £17.99
- Chain Reaction Cycles: 25% off Garmin Edge 520 Plus
Thank you for signing up to Cycling News. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.