Peter Stetina's gravel calendar has kicked off in fine style. He finished 2nd place at the opening Grasshopper Adventure Series race at Low Gap behind Geoff Kabush and his Open U.P. Then at the recent second round at Super Sweetwater, Stetina went one better by winning the predominantly on-road race aboard his gravel-adapted Canyon Ultimate CF SLX.
We recently featured Stetina's Canyon Ultimate, onto which he'd fitted 28c tubeless tyres and Shimano's gravel-friendly Ultegra RX clutched rear mech to help make the lightweight road bike more suited to the rough ground of the Super Sweetwater gravel race.
With this weekend's outing at The Mid South featuring considerably more off-road terrain, Stetina's weapon of choice switches to Canyon's dedicated gravel bike, the Grail.
The stand out feature of the Grail is what Canyon have dubbed the 'Grail Cockpit'; formerly known as the hover bar, it is a two-tier handlebar design that divides opinions everywhere it goes. Stetina's opinion is positive, as he confirmed to Cyclingnews: "I'm enjoying the dual handlebar design, there are a lot of inventive hand positions you can adapt for control and aerodynamics on different surfaces".
Owing to his family's relationship with Shimano, it's perhaps unsurprising to see Stetina running a Shimano groupset and components from Pro. The bike is currently fitted with Shimano's GRX Di2 groupset, but can easily be mix-and-matched to suit the terrain.
"My Grail is currently set up as a 2x for all the steep terrain I train and adventure on," Stetina explained. "However, the benefit of using the entire Shimano family is I can easily swap out parts and keep the shifting seamless.
"You may see me on a 1x for events like DK and Mid South, but the 2x for mountainous races like Oregon Trail Gravel Grinder and Crusher in the Tushar. The 52-11 is perfect for hammering the road and keeping up with a group and the 36-34 is small enough for just about any pitch."
Click through the gallery above for a closer look at Peter Stetina's Canyon Grail.
Peter Stetina's Canyon Grail full bike specifications
- Frameset: Canyon Grail CF SLX, size M
- Handlebars & stem: Canyon CP07 Gravel Cockpit CF
- Seatpost: Canyon S15 VCLS 2.0 CF
- Brake/shift levers: Shimano GRX 815 Di2
- Front derailleur: Shimano GRX 815 Di2 front derailleur
- Rear derailleur: Shimano GRX 815 Di2 rear derailleur
- Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace/XTR
- Crankset: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100-P w/ Dual-sided power meter, 52-36T, 172.5mm
- Bottom bracket: Shimano Dura Ace R9100
- Cassette: Shimano Ultegra R8000 11-34T
- Brakes: Shimano GRX RX810 Hydraulic Disc, Flat Mount
- Pedals: Shimano XTR M9100 SPD
- Wheelset: Shimano Dura Ace R9170 C40 Tubeless
- Tyre system: IRC Boken tubeless 40c
- Saddle: PRO Turnix AF carbon 142mm
- Bar tape: PRO Gravel Comfort Tape
- GPS Computer: Wahoo ELEMNT ROAM
- Shoes: Shimano RX800
- Bottle cages: PRO Alloy
- Accessories: PRO Discover saddlebags, frame bags, and tools
- Bike Weight: 8.5 kg, with pedals
- Nutrition: Clif Bar food and hydration
Thank you for signing up to Cycling News. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.