Spanish expatriate Oscar Sevilla missed out on taking his career fourth title in the Vuelta a Colombia on Sunday, coming second overall in the ten-stage race to a rider half his age - Diego Camargo (Colombia Tierra de Aletas).
The 44-year-old Sevilla clawed back 22 seconds of a nearly minute deficit to Camargo in Thursday's individual time trial then tacked on another nine in bonus seconds on Saturday's penultimate stage. But Camargo wisely marked Sevilla into the closing kilometres of the final stage and the 22-year-old finished on the same time, 12 seconds behind stage winner Salvador Moreno (EBSA) to seal a history victory.
Camargo is the latest talent to come out of the Boyaca region, the same department that has produced stars like Nairo Quintana and Miguel Ángel López in recent years.
He finished just outside of the top 10 in February in the Tour Colombia 2.1 and won the U23 Vuelta a Colombia three weeks ago before adding the elite title to his palmares.
Normally a UCI 2.2-ranked stage race, this year's Vuelta a Colombia was run as a national level event because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Sevilla won the race three times in a row in 2013, 2014 and 2015 after relocating to Colombia. His illustrious career in Europe ended with him being implicated in Operacion Puerto but he found love, happiness and success racing in his new country.
He was declared winner of the 2018 Vuelta a San Juan after Gonzalo Najar was disqualified for doping. In February, he finished third overall behind Remco Evenepoel in the Vuelta a San Juan after renewing with Team Medellin for the 2020 season.
At 44, Sevilla is far from the oldest professional cyclist, as Davide Rebellin continued to race this season past his 49th birthday.
Today's best Black Friday deals
Today's cycling-related highlights from the Black Friday sales. For even more, view our guide to the best Black Friday bike deals where you'll find on all things cycling, including bikes, helmets, clothing and more.
Today's best deals: USA
- Jenson USA: 44% off Castelli Pro rain jacket
- Competitive Cyclist: 60% off Assos S.J.Blitzfeder rain jacket
- Rei: Cannondale Topstone Ultegra RX 2
$3,300.00| $2,804.73 | 15% off
- Wiggle: 51% off Assos UMA GT Summer LS Jersey
- Jenson USA: Giro Empire ACC shoes
$300.00| $104.99 | 65% off
- Chain Reaction Cycles: LifeLine 18-piece tool kit
$73.99| $49.99 | 32% off
- Velocio: Signature Softshell jacket with 40% off
- ProBikeKit: Continental GP5000 road tyre
$79.49| $39.00 | 51% off
- Wiggle: Fizik R4B Road Shoes
$200.00| $114.00 | 43% off
Today's best deals: UK
- Amazon: 23% off Garmin Forerunner 35 at under £100
- ProBikeKit: Elite Drivo smart turbo trainer with 29% off at £849.99
- Argos: GoPro Hero7 White at under £100
- Wiggle: 35% off Prime carbon wheels, tyres and tubeless sealant at £499.99
- ProBikeKit: 300-lumen rear Lezyne light for under £35.00
- Tredz: Blackburn Mag 5 turbo trainer | was £139.99, now £125.99 | 10% off
- Wiggle: Muc-Off Cleaning kit | 40% off at just £17.99
- Chain Reaction Cycles: 50% off Mobi V-15 bike pressure washer | £49.99
Thank you for signing up to Cycling News. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.