Lukas Postelberger (Bora-Hansgohe) upset the applecart on the opening day of the Giro d'Italia, jumping away from the hard-charging peloton in the closing kilometres to steal the victory from the sprinters in Olbia. With his first professional win, the 25-year-old became the first Austrian to win a stage and wear the maglia rosa at the Italian Grand Tour.
The 206km opener from Alghero to Olbia was penciled in as a day for the sprinters, but when a crash in the closing kilometres caused momentary chaos, Postlberger seized the opportunity and quickly found himself with a small gap on the peloton. With encouragement from his team and from Bora sprinter Sam Bennett, he forged ahead to take the career-changing win.
Watch the stage 1 highlights below to see what led up to Postlberger's history-making ride, then enjoy the moment with him as he celebrates the accomplishment.
Read more on this article
- Vegni holds fire on Bardiani-CSF exclusion from Giro d'Italia
- Giro d'Italia: Stage 1 finish line quotes
- Giro d'Italia: Ewan angry and disappointed after missing out on first pink jersey
- Destiny steps in to give Postlberger his moment of Giro d'Italia glory
- Kruijswijk loses time in hectic Giro d'Italia opener
- Giro d'Italia: Stage 1 highlights – Video
- Greipel rues missed chance for Giro d'Italia lead
To subscribe to the Cyclingnews video channel, click here