The Swiss rider arrives at Alpecin-Fenix after three seasons at AG2R La Mondiale, where his stand-out performance was his second place behind Peter Sagan at the 2018 Paris-Roubaix.
Alpecin-Fenix heralded the new signing as “adding a considerable dose of experience” to the squad’s 2021 roster. In a post announcing the transfer on social media, Dillier said: “I’m super excited for next year! Bring on the new chapter!”
Dillier turned professional with BMC in 2014 and he won the Swiss time trial title the following year. He was also part of BMC’s winning squads in the team time trial at the 2014 and 2015 World Championships. Dillier won the road race at the Swiss Championships road race in 2017, a season that also saw him win a stage of the Giro d’Italia in Terme Luigiane and the overall title at the Route du Sud ahead of Richard Carapaz.
The 30-year-old is the second WorldTour rider to join the Alpecin-Fenix for 2021 after Jasper Philipsen recently confirmed his transfer from UAE Team Emirates. The Belgian ProTeam have also signed Xandro Meurisse from Circus-Wanty Gobert and Edward Planckaert from Sport Vlaanderen-Baloise, while Sacha Modolo, Petr Vakoc and Belgian champion Dries De Bondt remain with the squad for next season.
Van der Poel’s increasing ambition on the road saw the squad move up to Pro Continental level in 2019 and the Dutchman has scored victories including the Tour of Flanders, Amstel Gold Race, Dwars door Vlaanderen and the BinckBank Tour over the past two seasons. He has a contract with the team until the end of the 2023 season.
Dillier’s departure from AG2R comes despite the French squad’s increased focus on the Classics following the signing of Greg Van Avermaet, who will form a triumvirate on the cobbles with his long-time training partner Oliver Naesen and fellow new signing Bob Jungels.
Today's best Black Friday deals
Today's cycling-related highlights from the Black Friday sales. For even more, view our guide to the best Black Friday bike deals where you'll find on all things cycling, including bikes, helmets, clothing and more.
Today's best deals: USA
- Competitive Cyclist: 66% off Assos S.J.Blitzfeder rain jacket
- Rei: Cannondale Topstone Ultegra RX 2
$3,300.00| $2,804.73 | 15% off
- Jenson USA: Giro Empire ACC shoes
$300.00| $104.99 | 65% off
- Chain Reaction Cycles: LifeLine 18-piece tool kit
$73.99| $49.99 | 32% off
- Velocio: Signature Softshell jacket with 40% off
- ProBikeKit: Continental GP5000 road tyre
$79.49| $47.99 | 39% off
- Wiggle: Fizik R4B Road Shoes
$200.00| $114.00 | 43% off
Today's best deals: UK
- Wiggle: Garmin Edge 1030 cycling computer with 40% off
- ProBikeKit: 300-lumen rear Lezyne light for under £35.00
- Tredz: Blackburn Mag 5 turbo trainer | was £139.99, now £125.99 | 10% off
- Chain Reaction Cycles: Endura MTR Shell Jacket
£139.99| £76.99 | 45% off
- CycleStore: Over 60% off Specialized, Endura, Pearl Izumi and more
- Rutland Cycling: 36% off Moon Storm & Nebula lightset
Enjoy your first month for just £1 / $1 / €1
*Read 5 free articles per month without a subscription
Try your first month for just £1 / $1 / €1
Thank you for signing up to Cycling News. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.