TechPowered By

More tech

Sentjens’ Milram move motivated by classics

By:
Cycling News
Published:
October 12, 2009, 09:03,
Updated:
October 12, 2009, 10:05
Edition:
First Edition Cycling News, Monday, October 12, 2009
Roy Sentjens (Silence-Lotto) encountered reality of Spanish traffic laws

Roy Sentjens (Silence-Lotto) encountered reality of Spanish traffic laws

view thumbnail gallery

Silence-Lotto rider leaves for German squad

Roy Sentjens will join German squad Milram in 2010 after finishing his season with Silence-Lotto at Circuit Franco-Belge earlier this month. Sentjens announced the news on his personal website, saying he feared missing selection for his final races of 2009 which led to the late announcement.

Sentjens was quick to dismiss reports in the Belgian media that he had re-signed with Silence-Lotto. “What I’m about to explain is some surprise,” he said. “In the newspapers has been that I’ve renewed my contract with Silence-Lotto for two years, but there’s nothing to that. From January I’ve signed with Milram for one year with an option for 2011. I deliberately published this late, because I feared otherwise not being selected for Franco Belge and Paris-Tours.”

Sentjens indicated he wouldn’t be the only rider to leave Silence-Lotto for Milram next season. While he confirmed one of the outfit’s current riders would follow him, Sentjens wouldn’t say who.

“The choice for Milram is deliberate, because in the spring classics I’ll have a free role, something I’m ready for at this age,” he said. “I’m starting from scratch, a whole new opportunity that I will grasp with both hands. I would like to thank everyone at silence-Lotto, but I look forward to next season…”

Follow Cyclingnews on Twitter for the very latest coverage of events taking place in the cycling world - twitter.com/cyclingnewsfeed