By Susan Westemeyer
Dr. Eufemiano Fuentes is allegedly active again in the pro peloton, and UCI President Pat McQuaid will talk this week to the Spanish Secretary of Sport Jaime Lissavetzky. McQuaid confirmed to Sportwereld that there are clear indications that Fuentes has resumed his activities.
"We don't need another doping matter around Fuentes. We will act as hard as we can," he said. "We will inform the Spanish government of the stories that have been communicated to us. Riders from several teams from several teams have spoken about his involvement."
Allegedly Fuentes is now offering an alternate to EPO which is not yet detectable.
Earlier this month, Quickstep team manager Patrick Lefevere said that he had asked the UCI to investigate Fuentes' current actions, and said "There are indications that Fuentes is active again.
The case against Fuentes was dismissed by a Spanish court last month, with the judge ruling that doping was not illegal in Spain at the time the charges were brought. That decision has since been appealed by the prosecution
Earlier this month the blood in nine bags taken in Operación Puerto was identified by DNA comparison as belonging to Jan Ullrich. The German rider announced his retirement the end of February, in light of the scandal.
Since then there have been calls to have the DNA of all the blood seized in the investigation compared to the DNA of riders' whose names have been associated with Dr. Fuentes.
Cyclingnews' recent coverage of 'Operación Puerto'
April 2, 2009 - Valverde indignant over possible suspension
April 1, 2009 - Valverde: Italy requests two-year suspension
March 13, 2009 - Le Monde newspaper hit with fine over Puerto allegations
March 2, 2009 - WADA president Fahey asks for Puerto evidence
February 24, 2009 - Spanish federation seeks access to Puerto blood bags
February 20, 2009 - CONI considers Valverde case while UCI awaits verdict
February 19, 2009 - Valverde under criminal investigation
February 11, 2009 - Valverde summonsed for Operación Puerto in Italy
February 8, 2009 - Eight charged in Operación Puerto