This article originally appeared on Bikeradar.
Jens Voigt, the eternal crowd favourite has once again returned to Australia for the 2014 Tour Down Under, in support of Fränk Schleck on his return to racing. Not much has changed since we last looked at his bike, but with a new team name – Trek Factory Racing – comes some minor tweaks.
Voigt is the oldest rider in the peloton, and so it’s only right that he receives a fitting race number – 42, his exact age. That said, he’s obviously still in form and his aggressive position hasn’t changed much at all.
Voigt rides a standard Trek Madone7 series frame with a H1 headtube, offering a lower position compared to Trek’s regular H2 geometry.
Standing slim and tall at 1.89m (6ft 2in), Voigt has a few component choices that help with a precise fit, and his choice of 177.5mm cranks isn’t often seen. Trek’s reverse seatpost topper means Voigt uses a longer seatpost head with minimal setback, all in an effort to get further over the pedals.
The move from Speedplay to Shimano pedals signals a minor change. Voigt prefers a wider stance and so the choice of Shimano’s Dura-ace pedals with wider axles adds a further 8mm to his Q-factor.
Like the rest of the team (except Fabian Cancellara), Voigt uses the new 11-speed Dura-ace 9070 Di2 groupset with internal battery. Unseen in 2013, a Climber shifter has been added for extended efforts without moving from the top of the bar.
Even though Bontrager offer a range of carbon handlebars, Voigt sticks with an aluminium model due to post-crash dependability.
Complete bike specifications
• Frame: Trek Madone 7 Series, 60cm H1 Team Issue
• Fork: Trek Madone KVF full carbon
• Headset: Internal 1 1/8in to 1 1/2in tapered
• Stem: Bontrager Race XXX Lite, 120mm x -7 degrees
• Handlebar: Bontrager Race Lite Anatomic, 44cm (c-c)
• Tape: Bontrager cork
• Front brake: Shimano Dura-Ace direct mount BR-9010
• Rear brake: Shimano Dura-Ace direct mount
• Brake levers: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 STI Dual Control ST-9070
• Front derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 FD-9070
• Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 RD-9070
• Shift levers: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 STI Dual Control ST-9070 + Climber shifter
• Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace CS-9000, 11-25T
• Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace CN-9000
• Crankset: SRM Wireless PowerMeterDuraAce 9000, 177.5mm, 53/39T
• Bottom bracket: BB90 stainless steel cartridge bearing
• Pedals: Shimano 9000 Dura-ace Wide spindle
• Wheelset: Bontrager Aeolus 5 tubular
• Front tire: Schwalbe One 24mm
• Rear tire: Schwalbe One 24mm
• Saddle: Bontrager Team Issue - Soft
• Seatpost: Madone Long 5mm setback
• Bottle cages: Bontrager RXL bottle cage (2)
• Computer: SRM PowerControl 7
• Rider's height: 1.89m (6ft 2in)
• Rider's weight: 76kg (167.2lb)
• Saddle height from BB, c-t: 842mm
• Saddle setback: 94
• Seat tube length (c-t): 573mm
• Seat tube length (c-c): 510mm
• Tip of saddle to center of bar: 610mm
• Saddle-to-bar drop: 130mm
• Head tube length: 180mm
• Top tube length (effective): 591mm
• Total bicycle weight: 7.09kg (15.60lb)
Thank you for signing up to Cycling News. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.