Patrik Sinkewitz' doping suspension is nearing its end, and the 27-year-old is preparing to ride again. The problem is, he still has not found a new team. "Everyone praises me for my actions, but 'unfortunately' they don't have anything free at the moment," he told the German news service sid.
Sinkewitz had already crashed out of the Tour de France last summer when it was announced that he had tested positive for testosterone during a pre-Tour training camp. He was subsequently fired by T-Mobile Team . After co-operating with investigators, he received a one-year ban which expires July 17, 2008.
"If this treatment of rejecting those who confess continues, then that will be end of the whole cooperative witness concept, which everyone expected so much of," said his attorney, Michael Lehner. He said that he hoped one of the German ProTour teams, Milram or Gerolsteiner, would sign Sinkewitz. "That would be a milestone in the anti-doping fight. When a cooperative witness doesn't get a second chance, then we can just give up our idea of changing the system."
Meanwhile, Sinkewitz continues to train and said, "I think that I could immediately ride with the best, if none of them are doping."