Responding to reports in the media on Wednesday, Tour de France winner Carlos Sastre said he had not signed with the Katusha squad.
"I want to deny flatly that there is no signed contract with the team Katusha," said Sastre in a statement. "As I said recently, at the time I make a decision on my future, I will communicate it personally to the media."
Earlier in the day Wednesday, the AFP had reported that the new Russian Katusha squad had signed the 33 year-old Sastre for the 2009 season.
The Katusha team has already signed Tour de France stage winner and maillot vert Robbie McEwen, Classic specialist Filippo Pozzato, Gert Steegmans, Vladimir Karpets, Alexandre Botcharov, Kenny Dehaes, Stijn Vandenbergh, Antonio Colom and Joan Horrach.
Hours later during the same day, AFP reported that Sastre had an oral commitment with the new Cervélo Canadian team for next season.