This article first appeared on BikeRadar.
Liv, the sister brand to Giant, has an extensive range of women's bikes covering everything from endurance road and time-trial specific bikes through to race-ready cross-country mountain bikes and dutch-style commuter bikes. The brand has made some significant updates for 2017 and we'll be testing key models from across the whole range soon, so keep your eyes peeled for reviews on BikeRadar Women.
Liv is a brand that firmly believes that women benefit from bikes with a specifically designed geometry, rather than taking a unisex frame and using female-specific contact points such as saddles, handlebars, etc.
The foundation for this view is data taken from a large global body database (a record with a huge amount of information that includes data on body dimensions, which can be compared between genders). Liv feels that there are significant enough physical differences between male and female riders to warrant a bespoke approach to bike design. Its products are also developed with significant rider feedback and input from the various pro riders, coaches and ambassadors it works with.
Here we take a look at Liv's 2017 range of road bikes.
Liv women's road bike range
Liv has excellent pedigree when it comes to road bikes and supporting women's road cycling. The brand has sponsored a number of professional teams, including the incredibly successful Rabo Liv team — which includes multiple world champion Marianne Vos and Olympic champion Anna van der Breggen. Developing products for top-level professionals has undoubtedly had an impact on the products Liv produces and it's one of an increasing number of brands that produce high-spec, high-end models for women.
Liv hasn't scrimped on the Envie. Although there are lower priced models, the range extends right up to the Envie Advanced Pro — a carbon-framed machine with carbon wheels and SRAM Red e-tap electronic shifting — so every level of road cyclist is catered for.
Designed with a race geometry (check out the Avail for endurance road geometry), it features deep-rim wheelsets, internal cable routing, aero-shaped tubing and SpeedControl brakes, which are designed to sit tucked behind the forks and seatstay to produce less aerodynamic drag.
Liv has also produced a triathlon specific version with carbon composite clip-on aero bars.
- Liv Envie Advanced 1: £1,749 / $3,150 / AU$3,299
- Liv Envie Advanced 2: £1,499 / $2,050 / AU$2,799
- Liv Envie Advanced Pro 0: £5,499 / $7,500 / AU$7,999
- Liv Envie Advanced Pro 1: £3,999 / $5,250 / AU$5,799
- Liv Envie Advanced Tri 1: £2,699 / $,3350 / AU$4,299
- Liv Envie Advanced Tri 2: £N/A / $N/A / AU$2,999
The Liv Avow is a women's specific triathlon and time trial bike, designed specifically for the rigours of this type of racing. Designed for power and speed, the carbon frame has a sleek, aerodynamic shape with aero wheelset and tubeless tyres. There's also integrated hydration storage, including an aero-shaped bottle on the downtube, aero shaped snack box on the top tube and a hands-free bar-mounted hydration system.
- Liv Avow Advanced: £1,799 / $1,850 / AU$3,799
- Liv Avow Advanced Pro 0: £N/A / $6,700 / AU$7,999
- Liv Avow Advanced Pro 1: £4,699 / $5,450 / AU$6,499
The Liv Avail is the endurance bike in the road cycling range, designed with a female-specific geometry for comfort over longer distances. That's not to say that this bike can't race, since the top of the range Avail Advanced Pro has some high-end kit including a carbon composite frame, fork and wheelset, and hydraulic disc brakes. There are also accessibly priced entry-level models, which benefit from the same women's specific geometry built into an aluminium frame.
- Liv Avail 1: £675 / $810 / AU$1099
- Liv Avail 2: £525 / $N/A / AU$899
- Liv Avail 3: £N/A / $600 / AU$N/A
- Liv Avail SL 1 Disc: £1,149 / $1,315 / AU$1,899
- Liv Avail SL 2 Disc: £975 / US$1050 / Not available in Australia
- Liv Avail SL 1: £999 / $N/A / AU$N/A
- Liv Avail SL 2: £849 / $N/A / AU$N/A
- Liv Avail Advanced 1: £1,599 / $2,375 / AU$3,299
- Liv Avail Advanced 2: £1,299 / $1,950 / AU$N/A
- Liv Avail Advanced 3: £1,149 / $1,550 / AU$2,699
- Liv Avail Advanced Pro 1: £2,799 / $3,250 / AU$4,299
- Liv Avail Advanced Pro 2: £2,399 / $N/A / Not available in Australia