This article originally appeared on BikeRadar
Debuting new stripes in Adelaide, 23-year-old Danish climber Niklas Eg lined up to his first race as a WorldTour Pro riding a disc-equipped Trek Émonda.
Trek announced just as the Tour Down Under was about to kick off that Trek-Segafredo would be riding the Émonda Disc exclusively for 2018 — a surprising move given the WorldTours resistance to the brakes.
It's no secret that disc-equipped roadies are usually a touch heavier than their rim-braked counterparts, and Trek-Segafredo mechanic Jeroen Heymans was eagerly hovering as we weighed the Dane's race bike — when the scale read out 6.83kg, he was all smiles.
Trek-Segafredo will be riding the Émonda disc exclusively for 2018
Eg's bike was equipped with the new Shimano power meter and a full Dura-Ace R9150 Di2 drivetrain, with the young climber opting for 53/39t chainrings at the front and an 11-28t cassette at the back.
While Quick-Step also brought disc-equipped Venges to Adelaide, the Émondas were the only bikes running the latest Dura-Ace SM-RT9000 rotors.
Trek's in-house components brand Bontrager provides the majority of the components on Eg's bike, including the 130mm bright-red Bontrager stem and 400mm Core Pro VR-CF bars. Bontrager also provides the Aeolus Disc D3 hoops.
A closer look at Eg's prototype Bontrager saddle
When it comes to the rear touch points, it seems the Dane was riding a prototype Bontrager saddle.
Out front, Eg is using a Garmin Edge 520 computer with Bontrager's nifty 'base' mounting system.
Trek-Segafredo has swapped from Veloflex tubulars to Vittoria for 2018, Eg rolling on 25mm Corsa rubber.
Click or swipe through the gallery above for a detailed look at the Dane's disc-equipped race bike machine.
Complete bike specifications
- Frame: Trek Émonda SLR Race Shop Limited Disc
- Fork: Émonda full carbon, flat mount disc brakes
- Front brake: Shimano Dura-Ace R9170
- Rear brake: Shimano Dura-Ace R9170
- Brake/shift levers: Shimano Dura-Ace R9170
- Front derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace R9150
- Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace R9170
- Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace
- Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace
- Crankset: Shimano Dura-Ace R9170
- Power meter: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100-P
- Wheels: Bontrager Aeolis Disc D3
- Tyres: Vittoria Corsa, 25mm
- Handlebars: Bontrager Core Pro VR-CF, 400mm
- Stem: Bontrager, 130mm
- Tape/grips: Bontrager Double Gel Cork
- Pedals: Shimano Dura-Ace
- Saddle: Bontrager prototype
- Seatpost: Émonda Seatmast and topper
- Bottle cages: Bontrager XXX
- Computer: Garmin Edge 520
- Saddle height, from bottom bracket (c-t): 750 mm
- Tip of saddle nose to centre of handlebars: 555mm
- Total bike weight: 6.83kg
Thank you for signing up to Cycling News. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.