With just over three months left until the next chapter in North America’s toughest mountain bike race, the organisers of the TransRockies Challenge have released this year’s stage locations along with the final block of available team spots.
This year, the TransRockies Challenge will tackle a new route which traverses the high peaks of the Kootenay Rockies in Southeastern British Columbia and finishes at the world-class four-season resort of Panorama Mountain, just outside Invermere. While much of the route is new, the two-person team format and wilderness camping will remain vital parts of the unique TransRockies experience.
With the new routing for 2006, the TransRockies Challenge has been able to open registration to a limited additional number of teams. The additional spots were first offered to the waiting list which accumulated after the race reached the initial capacity on January 13th. That deadline for Waiting List registrations has passed and the limited number of remaining team spots has been released for general registration on a first-come, first-served basis.
“We’re really excited to be able to release our list of Stage Locations,” said Event Director Aaron McConnell, “this year’s route is going to set a new standard for great riding and rider experience.” “We’re also really pleased that we still have a few spots left to offer the riders who weren’t able to secure a spot during our first round of registration—and there’s still ample time for riders to train properly to take on the epic challenge of our event.”
2006 Stage Locations:
- Stage 1 - August 6: Fernie to Sparwood, BC
- Stage 2 - August 7: Sparwood, BC to Blairmore, AB
- Stage 3 - August 8: Blairmore, AB to Elkford, BC
- Stage 4 - August 9: Elkford, BC to Whiteswan Lake Provincial Park
- Stage 5 - August 10: Whiteswan Lake Provincial Park to Nipika Mountain Resort
- Stage 6 - August 11: Nipika Mountain Resort to Invermere, BC
- Stage 7 - August 12: Invermere to Panorama Mountain Village