This article originally appeared on BikeRadar
Garmin-Barricuda’s time-trial ace David Zabriskie moved into the leader’s jersey at the Amgen Tour of California thanks to his skills against the clock on the new Cervélo P5, but he’s racing the remainder of the event on a Cervélo R5 RWD.
There are a few notable things about Zabriskie’s road rig: custom frame modifications, and — as befits a champion time trialists — time-trial chain rings and a time-trial saddle. Zabriskie also run a double thickness of handlebar tape.
As Cervélo’s R series bikes do not come with internal routing for Shimano Di2, Garmin-Barricuda mechanic Alex Banyay took matters into his own hands, and drilled a hole in the top tube to run the wiring through. (Don’t try this at home, kids — it voids your warranty).
Where the wiring comes out at the bottom bracket area, Banyay took advantage of the existing hole in the frame for the front derailleur cable to run the Di2 wire up to the front derilleur. Then he ran the rear wire back to the rear derailleur, taping and zip-tying it down along the way.
Banyay also drilled mounting holes for the Di2 battery on the bottom of the down tube.
Zabriskie is using Rotor’s aero time-trial chain rings and spider cover, with a standard 53/39 configuration. Rotor general manager Kervin Quinones said the TT rings are a little bit stiffer (and a little bit heavier) than the regular road rings, and of course also offer a bit of an aero advantage.
The Rotor 3D+ cranks are mounted with Rotor’s version of the PF30 bottom bracket, using ceramic bearings. The set-up features a lock ring that preloads the bearings with a 2mm Allen key.
Complete bike specifications
* Frame: Cervélo R5 VWD, 54cm
* Headset: FSA Orbit IS-2 integrated, 1-1/8in
* Stem: 3T ARX Team, 13cm x -6°
* Handlebar: 3T Ergonova Team Carbon, 42cm (c-c)
* Tape: Double wrapped on tops; single wrapped on drops
* Front brake: Shimano Dura-Ace BR-7900 w/ SwissStop Yellow King pads
* Rear brake: Shimano Dura-Ace BR-7900 w/ SwissStop Yellow King pads
* Brake levers: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 STI Dual Control ST-7970
* Front derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 FD-7970
* Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 RD-7970
* Shift levers: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 STI Dual Control ST-7970
* Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace CS-7900, 11-25T
* Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace CN-7900
* Crankset: Rotor 3D+ TT, 175mm, 53/39T
* Bottom bracket: Rotor Ceramic
* Pedals: Garmin Vector (without power-meter internals)
* Wheelset: Mavic Cosmic Carbone Ultimate
* Front tire: Mavic Yksion GripLink tubular
* Rear tire: Mavic Yksion PowerLink tubular
* Saddle: Fi'zi:k Ares
* Seatpost: 3T Doric Team, zero setback
* Bottle cages: Arundel Mandible (2)
* Computer: Garmin Edge 500
* Rider's height: 1.83m (6ft)
* Rider's weight: 67kg (147lb)
* Saddle height, from BB (c-t): 78mm