Spanish rider Moises Dueñas, formerly of Team Barloworld, has denied using banned substances in a...
Spanish rider Moises Dueñas, formerly of Team Barloworld, has denied using banned substances in a statement released to the Spanish press on Thursday. Dueñas was removed from the Tour and suspended from his team after his A sample tested positive for EPO.
A Barloworld team representative told Cyclingnews that banned products were found in the rider's hotel room by a police search. Dueñas was taken into police custody following the search, and charged with "use and possession of poisonous substances" by a court in Tarbes last week.
However, Dueñas denied having admitted to the court that he doped. "At no time have I ever declared or admitted that I took drugs, as some media have stated, and neither have I said or admitted that I bought banned substances for doping," Dueñas said, contradicting the report of El Pais.
According to the Associated Press, the public prosecutor in Tarbes clarified that Dueñas "has admitted having bought and used products that improve performances, at the instigation of doctors on his team."
"He said he was unaware of the composition of these products, which he took himself, orally or intravenously."
Dueñas was the second of three riders to test positive in this year's Tour de France. He, fellow Spaniard Manuel Beltran and Italian Riccardo Ricco all tested positive for EPO following the stage four time trial in Cholet. Following news of Dueñas positive, the South African company Barloworld decided to cease its sponsorship of the cycling team after the Tour de France.
Back to top