Valverde back on track for World's?

Although Cyclingnews has previously reported that Illes Baleares rider Alejandro Valverde'...

Although Cyclingnews has previously reported that Illes Baleares rider Alejandro Valverde' participation in the World Championships 2005 was probably compromised, the latest is that the 25 year-old might be back on track for the event after all.

According to Spanish website todociclismo, Valverde called the Spanish National Coach Paco Antequera and told him the Cycling official could count on him for the International races in Madrid 2005. Antequera was reported to feel "calm and hopeful" for the possibility of including Valverde on his roster. "Valverde called me this morning [August 31] and told me that he's training a lot and that he would go for the longer stages in the Tour of Poland to improve his endurance," Antequera said. "He sounded very interested and I have to say that he's reassured me, even though he only competed in the Clasica a los Puertos this last month."

Antequera therefore modified his previous assessment of Valverde's form and continued, "Valverde was never excluded [from the team selection] - I was just afraid that the same thing would happen again as in the Olympic Games, where he started without the necessary endurance. But after talking to him I'm assured."

As for the tactics that the Spanish squad - without Oscar Freire - will use in the flat parcours, Antequera added, "It will be a difficult race, very controlled, and we will try to avoid a sprint."

Back to top