TechPowered By

More tech

No Beloki for Astana

By:
Greg Johnson
Published:
April 19, 2007, 1:00 BST,
Updated:
April 20, 2009, 22:20 BST
Edition:
First Edition Cycling News for April 19, 2007

Team Astana has announced that at this time it does not intend to hire any additional riders....

Team Astana has announced that at this time it does not intend to hire any additional riders. Astana's announcement follows reports earlier this week that said it had made Joseba Beloki an offer to join the squad, a report which the team stated "were only rumours".

"The report is absurd and false!" the team said, noting that it would only hire riders who fit into the squad's philosophy on both sporting and image grounds.

The Basque rider was amongst those implicated in the Spanish authorities Operación Puerto investigation during 2006, but was subsequently cleared of any wrongdoing. The 33 year-old rode for Manolo Saiz's Liberty Seguros - Würth Team last season until the squad collapsed as a result of the investigation.

Back to top

Tags:
news