Niedersachsen Rundfahrt cancelled

The Niedersachsen Rundfahrt will not be held in 2008, it was announced Sunday afternoon, but the...

The Niedersachsen Rundfahrt will not be held in 2008, it was announced Sunday afternoon, but the organizers are already making plans for some kind of a race in 2009. The Verein Internationale Niedersachsen-Rundfahrt said that after a one year break it definitely hoped to hold a race again the next year, but on a smaller scale - perhaps a 2.2 race (instead of the former 2.1) or an under-23 race.

"We regret this development very much," said race director Otto Pätzold. "But despite intensive work and lots of discussions with sponsors, stage start and finish towns, and political representatives the last few weeks, we have been unable to come up with the missing 100,000 Euros that we need."

The race had been scheduled to run from April 23 - 27, and was the oldest German stage race. Team Milram's Alessandro Petacchi has dominated the race in recent years, winning three stages and the overall title in 2007, and taking all five stages on his way to the overall victory the year before.

Back to top