Former winner Pereiro abandons Tour

Spaniard leaves race 90km into stage eight

Oscar Pereiro, winner of the 2006 Tour de France, abandoned this year's race today 90 kilometres after stage eight left Andorre-la-Vieille, Andorra. The Spaniard of team Caisse d'Epargne said he just did not have the form to complete the race.

“I have had very bad sensations since the Tour started from Monaco," said Pereiro. “It was no use to go on like that and I prefer to concentrate on my next objective which should be the Tour of Spain.”

Pereiro was 38th at 5:36 behind race leader Rinaldo Nocentini (AG2R La Mondiale) at the start of stage eight.

He was upbeat on Thursday and looked ahead to the Tour de France's mountain stages. "It will be time to try and win a stage," he told Cyclingnews.

Pereiro had to abandon last year after he broke his arm in a crash in stage 15. He had to miss the rest of his season and only returned to racing this season at the Tour Down Under.

Organisers declared Pereiro winner of the 2006 Tour de France after the disqualification of American Floyd Landis.

Related Articles

Back to top