With under a week until the 2007 Tour de France kicks off, now is a good time to start thinking about your strategy for your team selection for the Le Tour Fantasy Game.
First time player Fantasy manager 'Bobabernie' came 10th in last year's game. Here's what he had to say on his winning 2006 selection: "This was my first time trying the game, and I only made one team, so I didn't expect to be too competitive. I got most of my information from Wikipedia and one of my roommates."
"I basically looked for people who had done well on very difficult stages in the past Tours. Most of my GC contenders were favourites, but I picked a few riders that I felt would go out for tough stage wins too. Some of my picks worked well and some didn't. But I got lucky enough towards the end and just hung on."
We've added some great improvements to the game this year:
- New ranking and results service, offering new depths of rider statistics on races over the last four years.
- See your friends exact selections in the this year's game as it happens.
- Look up the winning managers team selections for last year to improve your selection this year.
- Follow the progress of the key fantasy managers whilst also tracking your friends' progress in the new "Watch Teams" tool.
- Build your own Mini-Leagues.
- Try out the Forum/Chat area, which provides new ways to communicate with your fellow players from around the world in real time as the races unfold.
Even if you don't win the grand prize of a Cervelo Soloist Carbon CSC team replica bicycle, the Fantasy Le Tour game is a great way to follow the Tour each day here at Cyclingnews.
Updated - Le Tour Fantasy Game prize list
Prize summary: From one grand prize and one first runner-up to three each second, third, and fourth runner-up prize packages, there are eleven chances for you to win based on your overall performance in the 2007 Le Tour Fantasy Game. There are also 21 daily prizes for each stage's top performer. All prizes are as listed (substitution requests cannot be honoured).
The roster of prizes so far is as follows: Grand prize from Cervelo Soloist Carbon CSC team replica bicycle worth $4750 USD. Equipped with Shimano Ultegra 10-speed, R-550 wheels, FSA cranks, bars & stem, Selle Italia Marco Ponza saddle, Cervelo aero carbon seatpost, and Vittoria Diamante Pro Lite tyres.
Daily Prize from BBB Parts - 21 pairs of BSG-23 Winner Quick-Step World Champion glasses designed for Tom Boonen - one for each day of the Tour.
10x runners-up prizes
- Cycleops Powertap 2.4 Wireless
- Set of Shimano Dura Ace WH-7801-SL Wheels - three sets on offer
- Maxxis Courchevel road tyres - 10 sets on offer
- Descente Classic Chevron design clothing - four sets on offer
- PRO Carbon Bottle Cage - 10 on offer
- Speedplay - Zero stainless steel pedals - three sets on offer
- Giro Atmos Helmet - three on offer
More prizes will be announced in the coming days. To find out more visit the prizes page.
What is the Fantasy Le Tour game?
The online game allows you to assume the role of a professional team manager for the 2007 Tour and create your own dream team from any of the real life riders in this year's Tour. In what's set to be the most open Tour in decades, based on the live racing action, you will take up the challenge of using your knowledge and tactical skill as a race team manager to compete with other virtual managers from around the world.
Follow the races live and use your skill and knowledge to win some great prizes.
Play for free in the Fantasy Le Tour 2007 game
Remember you can play for free for the first three stages! Try the game out and see how best to play. It's easy to play the Tour games - all you need to do is pick your dream team of 15 from the riders racing in this year's Le Tour start list. Then each day pick nine riders to race for your fantasy team from these 15. You'll need a good combination of climbers, sprinters, and general classification riders.
For more details register for free now. It's a great way to follow Le Tour 2007.