Caisse d'Epargne's Alejandro Valverde again appeared yesterday at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) with regards to the ongoing Operación Puerto doping affair. The Spaniard is facing a two year suspension that was demanded by the World Anti Doping Agency (WADA).
Valverde's lawyers are planning on presenting the same arguments to that used at the World Championships in Stuttgart, Germany where the organisers tried to ban the Spaniard from competing, along with a host of other riders including eventual winner Paolo Bettini. At the time it was concluded that Valverde had not been sanctioned previously and was allowed to start with the blessing from the Spanish High Court.
"WADA and the UCI are trying to obtain now what they couldn't in September," Spanish Cycling Federation's Eugenio Bermudez told HLN.be. "Only they are trying to do it now via another avenue after it didn't work as a legal matter."
Valverde is opting to remain tight lipped about the affair. "I have very little to say about the UCI's assessment of my character," Valverde told the press at a recent criterium held in Murcia. "I am simply looking ahead to next season, where I want to win the Tour and to test my luck at the Olympics in Beijing."
Cyclingnews' recent coverage of 'Operación Puerto'
April 2, 2009 - Valverde indignant over possible suspension
April 1, 2009 - Valverde: Italy requests two-year suspension
March 13, 2009 - Le Monde newspaper hit with fine over Puerto allegations
March 2, 2009 - WADA president Fahey asks for Puerto evidence
February 24, 2009 - Spanish federation seeks access to Puerto blood bags
February 20, 2009 - CONI considers Valverde case while UCI awaits verdict
February 19, 2009 - Valverde under criminal investigation
February 11, 2009 - Valverde summonsed for Operación Puerto in Italy
February 8, 2009 - Eight charged in Operación Puerto