TechPowered By

More tech

Sinkewitz denies naming names

By:
Cycling News
Published:
March 13, 2008, 00:00,
Updated:
April 20, 2009, 20:21
Edition:
Latest Cycling News, March 13, 2008

By Susan Westemeyer Patrik Sinkewitz has firmly denied naming any other riders who might have doped....

By Susan Westemeyer

Patrik Sinkewitz has firmly denied naming any other riders who might have doped. "I have definitely said nothing concrete about the doping practices of other riders," he told the German tabloid BILD. It had been reported last week that the former T-Mobile rider had named Andreas Klöden under questioning.

Sinkewitz tested positive for testosterone in an out-of-competition doping control last summer before the Tour de France. After cooperating with German authorities, he was given a reduced one-year ban.

Doping brought "a two to five percent" increase in performance he said, but noted that "doping doesn't make a race horse out of a donkey. The good riders will always be better." He wouldn't do it again though. What has it cost him? "With the loss of salary and all the costs, over a million [euro]. Everything that I have earned from the sport is gone. I am starting over again from scratch."

However, the 27 year-old still hopes to ride professionally again. "I made mistakes and have paid for them. I can't be blamed for telling the truth. I train every day for up to five hours. I want to show that I can also bring a top performance when I am clean."

Tags:
news