TechPowered By

More tech

Rasmussen preparing to sue Rabobank

By:
Cycling News
Published:
December 19, 2007, 0:00 GMT,
Updated:
April 22, 2009, 20:24 BST
Edition:
First Edition Cycling News, December 19, 2007
Michael Rasmussen

Michael Rasmussen

view thumbnail gallery

Michael Rasmussen is apparently planning to take Team Rabobank to court to contest his withdrawal...

Michael Rasmussen is apparently planning to take Team Rabobank to court to contest his withdrawal from the Tour de France and his dismissal from the team this summer. The 33 year-old Dane has hired Dutch lawyers, who have confirmed to the Belga press agency that they have been engaged.

Rasmussen was fired from Rabobank this summer on the ground that he had lied to them about his whereabouts in the time before the Tour. The Danish rider admitted that he had lied to the International Cycling Union (UCI) but claimed that the team knew all along where he was. Rabobank commissioned an independent report on the matter, which was released last month, and which Rasmussen characterized as incomplete, one-sided and not objective.

In November, the rider said that he had two options: "either we come to an agreement or I go to court." In a press release, his attorney Karoly Nemeth said that the time had come. "It is good that there is now a lawsuit in the Netherlands. During the trial, the Dutch team leaders will no longer be able to avoid telling the truth. So far they have not given an honest explanation and that must stop."

Back to top

Tags:
news