Malaysia's New Sunday Times reports the Proton T-Bikes Cycling Team is facing the prospect of deregistration as a UCI Continental Team, in part due to squabbles between the team's management and Malaysian National Cycling Federation (MNCF) deputy president Datuk Naim Mohamad.
Although registered by the UCI as a Continental Team on December 12 last year, the MNCF was asked to clarify several matters, including the minimum one-year contractual agreements with the nine riders on team. The federation in turn asked for this information from the Proton T-Bikes Cycling Team, but according to Naim, he has received no communication from the team to date. "Thus far, I have not been informed by the president of any letters," he said.
However, Proton T-Bikes's acting manager, Nazry Zahar, told the paper the team had informed MNCF president Abu Samah Wahab of the team's plans in a detailed letter dated March 23. "That is not true. We wrote a letter to the president on March 23, informing him about the status of the riders, PCT and their future," Nazry said in a statement.
MNCF secretary Ibrahim Mustapha said the team has asked not to deal with Naim and would like someone else to discuss the matter, but also said this request will not be forthcoming. "As for Naim, he was appointed by the MNCF exco to handle these issues. It is not for PCT to decide who they want to deal with," he said.
Mustapha added that five riders - Suhardi Hassan, Ahmad Falanie Ali, Sazlee Ismail, Raziff Jaafar and Wan Mohamed Najmee Wan Mohamed - asked the federation for a release from the team last week.