Jaksche sees little choice but to retire

By Susan Westemeyer Jörg Jaksche is another German pro cyclist who has been unable to extricate...

By Susan Westemeyer

Jörg Jaksche is another German pro cyclist who has been unable to extricate himself from Operación Puerto, and he said Monday that he will most likely end his career. "I have little hope that I can do anything other than stop."

"My career is in ruins," he told the press agency dpa. "I have given myself a certain time frame for the announcement of my retirement."

Jaksche had been in discussions with the Austrian team Volksbank, which last week announced that it had hired Jan Ullrich, also named in Operación Puerto and also recently retired.

"It looks like there won't be anything with Volksbank," Jaksche said. "I have tried with other teams, but have little hope." He is keeping himself "more or less" in shape with light training.

Jaksche, who lives in Austria, had offered the UCI a DNA sample to be used for comparison with the blood bags taken in Operación Puerto. "That was in January. But I haven't heard anything form the UCI except a confirmation that they got my letter."

He is now considering suing for damages. "My image has been ruined," he said, and claimed that the Spanish investigators have not worked properly. "I have copies of the investigation documents from the Guardia Civil. Two sheets have the same registration number but different contents.

"I just don't know what else I can do," he concluded.

Back to top