Holczer expands on anti-doping action comments

By Susan Westemeyer "It just can't be that all the teams -- including Discovery Channel -- declare...

By Susan Westemeyer

"It just can't be that all the teams -- including Discovery Channel -- declare themselves ready to uphold an agreed-upon Code of Ethics and then directly give in," is how Gerolsteiner's Hans-Michael Holczer explained the IPCT's decision to exclude Discovery Channel for its signing of Ivan Basso. In an interview with the "Kölner Stadt-Anzeiger", he said, "Against our agreement, Discovery hired a rider who was involved in the Spanish doping scandal centered on Dr. Fuentes. We won't put up with that."

He also noted that, "Discovery voted, by the way, very clearly for the Code of Ethics. There are 25 to 30 witnesses for that."

Hoclzer said that although the group's action is merely a "political sign", it is now time for others to take action. "We hope for support from the race organizers and from the federations, especially from the UCI. In the end, it is this way: we nominate the riders for a race, but the organizers decide whether to let them start." This means, he said, "The organizers can feel secure when they refuse to let certain riders race."

He further added, "The UCI is not holding itself back in the Fuentes scandal, as many people seem to think. I have the impression they are doing a lot. I think we will be hearing some interesting things from them very soon."

Cyclingnews previously reported Holczer's original comments.

Cyclingnews' recent coverage of 'Operación Puerto'

April 2, 2009 - Valverde indignant over possible suspension
April 1, 2009
- Valverde: Italy requests two-year suspension
March 13, 2009 - Le Monde newspaper hit with fine over Puerto allegations
March 2, 2009 - WADA president Fahey asks for Puerto evidence
February 24, 2009 - Spanish federation seeks access to Puerto blood bags
February 20, 2009 - CONI considers Valverde case while UCI awaits verdict
February 19, 2009 - Valverde under criminal investigation
February 11, 2009 - Valverde summonsed for Operación Puerto in Italy
February 8, 2009 - Eight charged in Operación Puerto

Cyclingnews' complete coverage of Operación Puerto

Back to top