By Antonio J. Salmerón
After hearing about the decision taken by the Spanish Federation on Operación Puerto, Colombian Santiago Botero told El Colombiano local newspaper that, "It is a great pleasure to know this. I have always thought about the future, but many things without sense had been said. I never hid that doctor Eufemiano Fuentes was a friend who helped me when I arrived in Spain, but that cannot be used to take any conclusions. I have been always a clean cyclist. I kept prudent silence because I didn't want that any commentary would be used by mass media. The passing of time should give me reason."
Botero, who had been suspended by his Swiss Phonak ProTour team in the wake of the scandal just before the Tour de France, might now sue the team management. "I think that they must pay all the money that they owe me, because they did not allow me to compete on the basis of presumptions," he said.
Cyclingnews' recent coverage of 'Operación Puerto'
April 2, 2009 - Valverde indignant over possible suspension
April 1, 2009 - Valverde: Italy requests two-year suspension
March 13, 2009 - Le Monde newspaper hit with fine over Puerto allegations
March 2, 2009 - WADA president Fahey asks for Puerto evidence
February 24, 2009 - Spanish federation seeks access to Puerto blood bags
February 20, 2009 - CONI considers Valverde case while UCI awaits verdict
February 19, 2009 - Valverde under criminal investigation
February 11, 2009 - Valverde summonsed for Operación Puerto in Italy
February 8, 2009 - Eight charged in Operación Puerto