The bikes of Team Sky haven’t received many changes for 2014, with most component sponsors carrying-over. A recently announced move to Stages Cycling power meters represents the largest change, shedding a little weight and forcing a computer change.
Richie Porte is at the 2014 Santos Tour Down Under as the team leader, following on from his third place in the 2014 Australian Road National Championship race and his strong performance at the 2013 Tour de France.
The Team Sky bikes are seen as a dream bike of many with its Italian heritage, featuring the Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Think2 frameset as the base. The Dogma’s curvaceous lines and Sky’s new logo create a striking bike without screaming for attention.
Where 2013 saw two teams on Pinarello, this season Sky is now the only team as Movistar have moved across to Canyon bicycles. We’ve previously reviewed the highlights and features of this frameset, which can be viewed here.
Porte’s 46.5cm frame size is at the smaller end of the 13 frame sizes offered by Pinarello. With such a compact frame comes issues of carrying water, and there isn’t room to fit larger bidons inside the frame.
Unlike Chris Froome’s 2013 bike, Porte’s is fairly standard, a no nonsense affair without any standout modifications.
The Tasmanian uses a complete 11-speed 9070 Di2 drivetrain and C50 Tubular wheels. Adding to the Shimano theme is in-house componentry brand – PRO. The handlebar and stem weren’t labelled but featured matching Team Sky stripes – however they appear to be the Vibe Carbon Compact and rather basic PLT respectively.
We’ve seen most teams using 11-25T cassettes this week, but Porte has opted for an 11-28T due to the ability to spin that little easier when combined with the standard 53/39 chainring sizes.
Holding Porte’s Garmin in place (not pictured) is a BarFly 2.0 mount; while his bidons are kept safe with Elite Custom Race cages.
Complete bike specifications
• Frame: Pinarello Dogma2 65.1 Think2
• Fork: Pinarello Onda
• Headset: Pinarello 1 1/8” to 1" 1/2 integral system
• Stem: PRO PLT, 120mm x -6 degrees
• Handlebar: PRO Vibe Compact, 40cm (c-c)
• Tape: PRO Smart-Silicon
• Front brake: Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
• Rear brake: Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
• Brake levers: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 STI Dual Control ST-9070
• Front derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 FD-9070
• Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 RD-9070
• Shift levers: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 STI Dual Control ST-9070
• Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace CS-9000, 11-28T
• Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace CN-9000
• Crankset: Shimano Dura-Ace 9000, 170mm, 53/39T + Stages Power left arm
• Bottom bracket: Shimano Dura-Ace BB-9000
• Pedals: Shimano 9000 Dura-ace
• Wheelset: Shimano Dura-ace C50 tubular
• Front tire: Veloflex Carbon 23mm
• Rear tire: Veloflex Carbon 23mm
• Saddle: fi'zi:k Arione carbon braided
• Seatpost: Pinarello Dogma 65.1
• Bottle cages: Elite Custom Race (2)
• Computer: Unseen Garmin, held by BarFly 2.0 mount
• Rider's height: 1.72m (5ft 8in)
• Rider's weight: 62kg (136.4lb)
• Saddle height from BB, c-t: 677mm
• Saddle setback: 47mm
• Seat tube length (c-t): 480mm
• Seat tube length (c-c): 465mm
• Tip of saddle to center of bar: 524mm
• Saddle-to-bar drop: 80mm
• Head tube length: 115mm
• Top tube length (effective): 515mm
• Total bicycle weight: 7.03kg (15.47lb)