This article first appeared at BikeRadar
WorldTour team Quick-Step Floors have just announced they will be riding PRO’s Vibe bars and stem on their Specialized Tarmac, Venge ViAS and Roubaix road race bikes for 2018, and we've had a close-up look at Elia Viviani's race set up for the Tour Down Under.
The Vibe bar and stem combo is an aerodynamic design that features internal routing for Di2 wires, mechanical cables or hydraulic lines. PRO says the new top cap and bolt orientation make the stem more aero too.
Viviani’s bars measure 400mm wide and are only wrapped to the hoods, leaving the flat tops open, which allows the bars to retain any claimed aerodynamic advantage.
The new Di2 junction box can be tucked inside the new Vibe handlebars at the end of the drop, but Viviani goes the old way with his S-Works Tarmac: the junction box sits under the stem with a rubber band. We measured his 120mm stem at 125mm.
Quick-Step Floors is also running the previously unseen Specialized power meter, changing over from the 4iiii units the team rode last season. The new Specialized unit appears to have a spider mounted pod as well as a left-side crank sensor.
Viviani’s bike is equipped with a full Shimano Dura-Ace R9150 groupset, with sprint shifters mounted on the drops, and is running 53–39t chainrings, 172.5mm cranks and a 11–28t Dura-Ace cassette.
The bike rolls on Roval CLX 50 Rapide complete hoops with CeramicSpeed bearings and is finished with 26c Specialized Turbo Gription compound tubular tyres.
Standing at 1.7m tall, Viviani rides a size 54 in the new S-Works Tarmac SL6, with a saddle height of 735mm, and when we weighed the bike it tipped our scales at a meagre 6.62kg — so the mechanics will need to add a bit of weight before race day.
Complete bike specifications
- Frame: S-Works Tarmac SL6
- Fork: S-Works FACT carbon
- Stem: PRO Vibe 125mm, -10-degree
- Handlebar: PRO Vibe 400mm
- Tape: Supacaz cloth tape
- Front brake: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100
- Rear brake: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100
- Brake/shift levers: Shimano Dura-Ace R9150
- Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100, 11-28t
- Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace 11-speed
- Crankset: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100, 53/39T, Specialized Power meter
- Wheelset: Roval CLX 50 Rapide
- Tyres: Specialized Turbo tubular Gription compound, 26mm
- Saddle: S-Works Toupe
- Seatpost: S-Works FACT Carbon Tarmac seatpost, 20mm offset
- Bottle cages: Tacx Deva
- Rider's height: 1.78 m
- Rider's weight: 67 kg
- Saddle height from bottom bracket: 735mm
- Seat tube length: 481mm
- Centre of saddle to centre of bar: 575
- Head tube length: 143mm
- Top tube length: 540mm
- Total bicycle weight: 6.62kg
Click or swipe through the gallery above for a detailed look at Elia Viviani's race bike.