TechPowered By

More tech

Second Edition Cycling News, Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Date published:
November 28, 2012, 0:00 GMT
  • Exergy Development Group ends sponsorship of Continental team

    Fred Rodriguez (Exergy) riding in the bunch.
    Article published:
    November 28, 2012, 5:20 GMT
    By:
    Cycling News

    Energy company dogged by non-payment issues

    Despite recent assurances that the team would continue for 2013, American UCI Continental outfit Team Exergy will not have the financial backing to continue next season.

    Just last week, team manager Remi McManus told Cyclingnews that the outfit would enter the season with a reduced roster compared to the 2012 season, when the team started things off with 16 riders, the Continental team maximum. Three-time US road champion Freddie Rodriguez was confirmed to start once again, as was Canadian criterium champion Ben Chaddock.

    James Carkulis, CEO of Exergy Development Group blames the recent turmoil within cycling that has occurred in the wake of USADA's investigation into Lance Armstrong and the resulting criticism of the UCI for the decision.

    "I am totally disheartened to have to place our sponsor dollars for our disciplined men's team on hiatus for the 2013 season, but there is no choice given the corruption prevalent within the sport," he said in a statement. "The magnitude of this situation should not be taken lightly and ignoring the severity is not going to rebuild the public's trust in the sport. This has not been an easy decision, but one shared by our team management. In cooperation with management, we will ensure that each rider is placed and provided for. Exergy will not sit idly by, but intends to offer up rational solutions over the next month which regenerates the greatness of this perfect synthesis between man and machine."

    It's a curious explanation given Exergy Development has been called out for not paying invoices related to its sponsorship of the Exergy Tour and the USA Pro Cycling Challenge. Exergy Development Group was the title sponsor for last year's US...

  • Kiwi Cooper joins Genesys Wealth Advisers

    Joe Cooper (left) of the New Zealand National Team and Jaques Janse van Rensburg (MTN Qhubeka) lead the breakaway up a climb on stage seven.
    Article published:
    November 28, 2012, 6:20 GMT
    By:
    Alex Malone

    Australian team add strength for general classifications

    This year's 10th-place overall finisher at Tour de Langkawi, Joseph Cooper will move from PureBlack Racing to the Genesys Wealth Advisers team in 2013. New Zealand's Cooper has been added to the Australian Continental roster as part of a strategy to bolster the team's general classification ambitions in the tours in Asia and Australia.

    Cooper started the 2012 season without a contract and despite interest from Genesys Wealth Advisers team manager Andrew Christie-Johnson, the Australian team missed the moment to sign the 26-year-old Kiwi. Cooper signed for PureBlack and rode out the season racing predominantly within Asia and a few races on the Australian National Road Series calendar.

    "I've been interested in having Joe Cooper on the team for a couple of years," Christie-Johnson told Cyclingnews.

    "This year I followed up early and had the opportunity to sign him. He's such a strong and talented rider; he time trials well, climbs well and is a very good GC rider. That's something I wanted for next year," said Christie-Johnson.

    Cooper achieved his top result of the season early in the year when he finished 10th at Langkawi while also taking solid results including a 5th-place in the prologue at Tour of Thailand and finished in second-place behind Orica-GreenEdge's Christian Meier at Tour de White Rock in Canada.

    Unfortunately it would appear Cooper will not be able to better his 2012 result in Langkawi next year as Genesys missed out on the first round of invitations. However, Christie-Johnson told Cyclingnews that he is hopeful the team will still receive an invite. The team were given a late invite this year - two weeks before the race - but had to turn it down due to inadequate time to...

  • Wiggins to Giro, Froome for Tour de France says Brailsford

    The 2012 Tour de France final podium (l-r): Chris Froome, Bradley Wiggins and Vincenzo Nibali
    Article published:
    November 28, 2012, 8:37 GMT
    By:
    Cycling News

    Team Sky prepared to switch leadership roles in 2013

    Team Sky boss Dave Brailsford says Chris Froome is likely to lead the British team at the Tour de France in 2013 and not defending champion Bradley Wiggins. Final race plans have not yet been confirmed but it's a theme which has been echoed since Wiggins rolled into Paris as the first British Tour de France winner.

    Wiggins will reportedly concentrate on securing his second grand tour victory at the Giro d'Italia before supporting Froome at the Tour next July. The call is further confirmation for Froome who demonstrated his arguably dominant climbing ability over Wiggins in the final week of this year's edition.

    "The Tour of Italy would be a very good target for Bradley and leave Froomy then to focus on the Tour de France," Brailsford told BBC Sport before adding the team structure had not "completely been signed off."

    Froome remained faithful to his captain Wiggins throughout the three-week race and finished second overall but later said he believed he could have won the Tour - despite losing 1:59 to Wiggins in time trials and ended the race 3:21 down on the overall race winner.

    "I am still convinced that I could have won," Froome told L'Equipe. "But everything was clear within the team and I tried my best to do my job. I was not the chosen leader," he said.

    Wiggins has expressed interest in riding the Giro d'Italia but has not ruled out also targeting the Tour de France again after a 2012 season that including victories at Paris-Nice, the Tour de Romandie and Critérium du Dauphiné. Team Sky head coach Shane Sutton...

  • Dutch riders reply to doping questions

    Michael Boogerd would always target the race
    Article published:
    November 28, 2012, 13:42 GMT
    By:
    Cycling News

    AD Sportwereld quizzes every pro since 1998

    Dutch riders who competed in the nineties have insisted they did not dope after being quizzed directly by AD Sportwereld.

    Faced by the blunt question: “Did you use drugs?"; all the Dutch riders who were professionals between 1998 and 2005 and responded, said no. Although many gave interesting answers and indicated that they were suspicious of others using doping products.

    This is a selection of the answers:

    Leon van Bon (40,1994-present) "No. But who believes me? Good answers to this question do not exist.”

    Michael Boogerd (40, 1994-2007) "That's really a ridiculous question. I really have said a hundred times that I have used no drugs.”

    Johan Bruinsma (36, 1998-2000) "No. But I have learned about things, out of curiosity. I was ending my career, was just not going forward. I was shocked at how easy it was. ..... Guys who now say they knew nothing, I don't believe a word of it. Doping was everywhere. Sometimes I lay at night in the hotel awakened by the commotion in the hallway, so you knew that a few got treatment and that they had to move, otherwise their blood was too thick. That a guy like Steven de Jongh now says that everyone deserves a second chance, well I don't know. Fuck off with your second chance. He drives a nice big car while I'm too old to climb on the bike. "

    Erik Dekker (42, 1992-2006) "This is a useless and unfair question. Because the honest answer of no will not be believed. People only want to hear confessions now.”

    Bas Giling (30, 2002-2009) "No, I never had that shit in my body. As a cyclist you have to face it at some point in terms of what is possible. I never actively got involved, but of course you heard things. At T-Mobile I ended up in a world where almost everything was wrong."

    Alain van Katwijk (33, 2002-2007) "No. And I regret it afterwards. If you now hear everything that was in circulation, then you'll think: Gosh, there must have been...

  • Stannard inspired for cobbles of Paris-Roubaix

    Ian Stannard gets a push after a wheel change
    Article published:
    November 28, 2012, 16:02 GMT
    By:
    Cycling News

    British road champion wants to shine in northern classics

    Ian Stanndard is a formidable figure in the professional peloton. At 189cm and 83kg, the powerful rider has been one of the hardest working domestiques on the Sky Procycling team this season. He completed more than 90 days of racing with two Grand Tours and while he relished working for his teammates, he wants to be give his own opportunities in the coming season - with the cobbled Classics one of his biggest objectives.

    Stannard begun his season early in the year at Tour of Qatar and notched his first top-10 of the year in stage 4. He then rode some of the opening semi-Classics where he assisted 2013 Vacansoleil-DCM signing Juan Antonio Flecha to third-place at Omloop Het Nieuwsblad and victory by Mark Cavendish at Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne, who will join Omega Pharma-QuickStep next year.

    His spring Classics campaign was done at the service of others and after riding the Giro d’Italia he rode to a solo win at the British road national championships. It was his only win of the year but it was an important one and it signaled his ability to close the deal when given the chance. Stannard won a stage at Tour of Austria in 2011 and also finished 4th at Paris-Tours but the national championships is his biggest victory to date.

    "It’s one of the most iconic jerseys out there with a very rich history, so it’s cool to be wearing it and I definitely want to do it justice," he said to Team Sky.

    "G [Geraint Thomas] and Bradley [Wiggins] have both done some pretty amazing stuff in it over the last few years so hopefully I can...

  • Riis damaging cycling and its credibility, Danish UCI member says

    Bjarne Riis has attracted a new sponsor to his squad.
    Article published:
    November 28, 2012, 17:05 GMT
    By:
    Cycling News

    Saxo-Tinkoff team owner needs to “come out and talk”

    Bjarne Riis and his teams have established Danish cycling in the world, but his actions now are “very damaging to the sport and its credibility,” according to the Danish representative at the UCI.  It is “high time for Bjarne Riis to come out and talk.”

    Riis confessed in 2007 to having doped when he was a rider. He has since been named as providing doping advice, if not more, in various books and doping confessions from recent riders. The Saxo-Tinkoff team owner has consistently refused to comment on such matters.

    "Here in Denmark we have a single problem in Bjarne Riis,” Peder Pedersen told feltet.dk. “His team and his comings and goings have been tremendously positive for the development of Danish cycling and the resulting high interest.

    “But he keeps quiet at the moment and will neither confirm nor deny the allegations that are against him, it is very damaging to the sport and its credibility. All who follow it here can see that there are answers missing to some things, giving insecurity and losing credibility. So it is high time that Bjarne Riis comes out and talks.”

    Since 2006, Pedersen has been a member of the Anti-Doping Foundation (CADF), set up to work with doping cases and to stay on top of anti-doping testing and developments. He is aware of the ironies involved.

    "I have been involved in the Anti-doping Foundation for six years, where I have a clear conscience about what we have done. Of course it's very uncomfortable, it appears at the moment. Although most of it belongs to the past, we should not be blind to the fact that it also reaches into the present and in the future. With the revelations that have come, then that is what we really need to make sure to get it...

  • UCI confirms three more Pro Continental licences for 2013

    The Colombia - Coldeportes before the start
    Article published:
    November 28, 2012, 17:55 GMT
    By:
    Cycling News

    Slight date changes announced for Milano-Sanremo, Il Lombardia

    The UCI announced today that three teams, Colombia, MTN-Qhubeka and Team Type 1, have been granted Professional Continental licenses for the 2013 season following a review of additional documents received from the squads. With their registration now complete, previously planned hearings in front of the Licences Commission will not need to be held.

    The three teams confirmed today for 2013 increase the overall Pro Continental ranks to 16, as 13 teams, (Accent Jobs-Wanty; Androni Giocattoli; Caja Rural; CCC Polsat Polkowice; Cofidis, Solutions Crédits; IAM Cycling; Landbouwkrediet-Euphony; Sojasun; Team Europcar; Team Netapp-Endura; Topsport Vlaanderen-Baloise; UnitedHealthCare Professional Cycling Team; Vini Fantini), had already been granted licences for the upcoming season earlier in November.

    Eight ProTeams (Astana Pro Team; BMC Racing Team; Cannondale; Lampre-Merida; Omega Pharma-Quick Step Cycling Team; Orica GreenEdge; Sky ProCycling; Vacansoleil DCM Pro Cycling Team) had also been granted licences for 2013 earlier in November, and the UCI will render its decision regarding remaining ProTeam and Pro Continental licences on December 10.

    New dates for Italian Monuments

    The Professional Cycling Council (PCC) has accepted the request by race organiser RCS to modify the dates of both Milano-Sanremo and Il Lombardia for 2013. Both races will now take place on a Sunday, with Milano-Sanremo set for March 17 and Il Lombardia for October 6. The presentation of the 2014 Giro d'Italia route will take place one day after Il Lombardia on Monday, October 7.

  • Astana extends internal testing programme

    Giuseppe Martinelli and Alexandre Vinokourov look for a nice spot for dinner
    Article published:
    November 28, 2012, 19:38 GMT
    By:
    Stephen Farrand

    Kazakhstani team to work with Turin lab

    The Astana team revealed that it will combine its internal anti-doping programme with the data of its riders' UCI biological passport to help create more detailed blood and hormonal profiles of its riders.

    Astana is managed by Marco Pantani's former directeur sportif Giuseppe Martinelli, with former Lampre doctor Andrea Andreazzoli now responsible for the health of the Astana riders.

    According to Gazzetta dello Sport, Astana will work with Dr. Paolo Borrione and the Orbassano anti-doping laboratory in the Piedmont region of Italy. Borrione is a member of the Italian Olympic Committee's anti-doping commission and an independent WADA observer. He was responsible for the anti-doping control at the 2006 winter Olympics in Turin.  

    "We chose the Centro di Orbassano because Borrione is a person that can be trusted and because we wanted to use the same machines and the same procedures applied by the biological passport, that way the date will be homogeneous and can be integrated," Andreazzoli said.   

    "We won't only be doing blood tests, we'll do hormonal tests too. The idea is to protect the riders' health and improve their performance. Between our tests and the UCI tests, the riders were controlled on average every three days during the last Giro [d'Italia]."

    The Astana team has been embroiled in several doping scandals in the past, with new manager Alexandre Vinokourov failing a blood test during the 2007 Tour de France. He worked with Dr. Michele Ferrari for many years before retiring after winning gold in the men's road race at the 2012 London Olympics. Vinokourov and several other Astana riders are implicated in the Padua police investigation that helped USADA reveal damning evidence about Lance Armstrong...