TechPowered By

More tech

Second Edition Cycling News, Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Date published:
April 17, 2013, 1:00 BST
  • Carpenter infiltrates top contenders at Tour de Perth

    Harry Carpenter (Euride Racing) used his SA Institute skin suit to rocket to second-place
    Article published:
    April 17, 2013, 3:50 BST
    By:
    Alex Malone

    Euride to challenge top NRS teams at Battle on Border, says South Australian

    The team formerly known as SASI (South Australian Sports Institute), now Euride Racing signalled their intent to be amongst the Subaru National Road Series best-ranked teams by finishing the four-day Woodside Tour de Perth with an impressive 8th-place overall courtesy of Harry Carpenter. The youthful squad that aims to develop South Australian talent also finished fifth in the team classification, perhaps a sign of things to come in 2013.

    Carpenter's overall result and second-place in the Rottnest Island time trial was not a surprise for the 20-year-old who opened his season at the Mitchelton Bay Cycling Classic, picking up a respectable second-place to Orica GreenEdge's Mitch Docker on the final day in Williamstown and eventually finishing the brutal criterium series in seventh overall.

    The Adelaide resident finished 4th at the Tour of the Murray River in 2012, the same race won by Luke Davison who spent the final part of last season with the SASI outfit, but to get the year off to a solid start at Perth has given him confidence ahead of the next round of the NRS at Battle on the Border.

    "We will hoping to get the series of to a good run in Perth because we definitely have a team that can win and be right up there with the likes of [Huon Salmon]-Genesys and Drapac," Carpenter told Cyclingnews.

    Carpenter entered the final stage at Perth in fourth-overall, with two Budget Forklifts and three Huon Salmon-Genesys riders hot on his heels but this gave no real reason for concern. Carpenter proved his place amongst the top contenders on the difficult circuit around Kalamunda on...

  • Markus with no hope for Giro d'Italia debut after Tro Bro Leon crash

    Marcel Kittel (Argos - Shimano), Mark Cavendish (Omega Pharma - QuickStep), Barry Markus (Vacansoleil - DCM) and Andrea Guardini (Astana) battle for the win in Scheldeprijs
    Article published:
    April 17, 2013, 4:57 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    Vacansoleil-DCM sprinter forced to rest

    Included in his team's long list for the opening grand tour of the season at the Giro d'Italia had no doubt given Barry Markus extra incentive to train and race well in the early part of the year. The 21-year-old had been doing just that but a crash at the one-day Tro Bro Leon race, won by Francis Mourey (FDJ) has ended his dream of riding the Italian three-week race.

    Medical examinations following his crash, where he failed to finish, discovered he had broken his thumb. The Vacansoleil-DCM rider will reportedly need to refrain from racing for at least a couple of weeks and will subsequently be ill-prepared for what would have been his biggest challenge since signing in the later part of 2011 with the Dutch ProTeam.

    "I wanted to ride the Giro," said Markus about having to miss the opportunity to go up against some of the fastest sprinters in the world. Markus had previously discounted starting the Giro however, his recent comments combined with his name appearing on the team's long list suggested otherwise.

    With his young legs still to ride a race more than a week long it's likely that he will be overlooked for the Tour de France, leaving the mountainous Vuelta a España in the later part of the season as his next realistic chance.

    Markus had been rivalling some of the best sprinters including Mark Cavendish (Omega Pharma - Quick-Step) and Marcel Kittel (Argos-Shimano) during the early part of the season and a start at the Giro would have been an exciting opportunity for the Dutchman and his team.

    Picking up results at races like Tour Down...

  • Cerny enjoys his moment of fame at the Giro del Trentino

    CCC Polsat's effort put Josef Cerny into the overall lead.
    Article published:
    April 17, 2013, 5:53 BST
    By:
    Stephen Farrand

    19-year-old Czech rider takes the race lead after TTT

    One of the great things about a bike race is that you never know how things will turn out.

    Josef Cerny is just 19 and the Giro del Trentino is his first real race as part of the CCC Polsat Professional Continental team. Yet after getting in the break during the morning stage and then thanks to CCC Polsat's 12th place in the team time trial, the fresh-faced Czech rider has found himself wearing the race leader's fuchsia jersey.

    Cerny took the jersey from stage 1a winner Maxime Bouet (Ag2r-La Mondiale) and now leads the Frenchman by 11 seconds, with Michael Rodriguez (Colombia) third at 16 seconds. Bradley Wiggins (Team Sky) is the best placed of the overall contenders, a significant 6:03 behind. However, that gap could melt like the spring snow covering the Dolomites as the riders tackle the 224.8km second stage, with a mountain finish at Vetriolo Terme.

    Cerny could hardly believe what had happened to him.

    "It's awesome, I'm very happy and I'm enjoying this," he said with a grin.

    "Tomorrow's stage is very hard. I'll try to keep the jersey but it won't be easy. However Bouet and the other guys in the break with me today are only human so well see what happens."

    "I suppose it was just my turn for success today. It's a good moment or Czech cycling after Roman Kreuziger won the Amstel gold Race. Jan Barta of NetApp is also a good Czech rider. I hope to be like them one day."

    Our tactics will be very simple

    With Cerny struggling to handle the emotions of success and being thrust in media spotlight, CCC Polsat directeur sportif Piotr Wadecki talked about the lanky Czech teenager.

    "Two years ago he stopped racing after being a junior because there were no good teams in Czech...

  • Mancebo's desire to return to European peloton

    Francisco Mancebo celerbates with his children
    Article published:
    April 17, 2013, 9:54 BST
    By:
    Fran Reyes

    Spaniard finished second at Vuelta a Castilla y León

    Last week’s Vuelta a Castilla y León marked Francesco Mancebo’s first competition in Spain, national championships aside, since the 2010 Circuito de l'Empordá; furthermore, it was disputed on the roads of the region where Mancebo comes from and currently lives.

    Having tasted success with second overall in the race, the controversial rider talked to Cyclingnews about his desire to return to the European peloton. The 37-year-old currently rides for the US team 5 Hour Energy p/b Kenda.

    “It's been a great feeling, that of racing through the places where I grew up. Here I won a time trial as an amateur; there I finished second when I was a junior,” he told Cyclingnews

    “I wanted to win here, but Movistar did a great tactic in the final climb. They had several cards to play. When Ruben Plaza attacked, I doubted for some seconds as I expected Javi Moreno to be the leader of the team. When I realized that Plaza was going for the win and I undertook the chase, it was too late,” he said. “I'm happy for him, though. We are good friends since when we were teammates in Banesto, and he's been through a lot of injuries recently, so it's great to see him back in the podium.”

    Would “love” to return to Europe

    “Every time I race in Europe, I tell myself: 'I'm here, I want everyone to notice my presence,'” Mancebo said. Although he claims to be happy riding for 5-Hours Energy – Kenda, the Spaniard didn’t hide his desire to come back to racing in Europe. “Of course, I would like to be nearer my home. Even if I spend most of the time in Europe, I have to live in America for, like, four or five months a year. I would love to stay with my family...

  • Jalabert steps down as French national team coach

    Laurent Jalabert in the car.
    Article published:
    April 17, 2013, 10:24 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    Cites "lack of support" from federation

    Laurent Jalabert has stepped down as coach of the French national road team, citing a “lack of support” from the French Cycling Federation.

    Jalabert told L’Équipe that the federation’s request that he include track rider Mickaël Bourgain in his five-man team for the London 2012 Olympics – in order to qualify him to compete on the track – had triggered his decision.

    “In my head, I knew that my mission as national coach had finished,” said Jalabert. “It finished there, even if that’s not what I wanted.”

    Jalabert subsequently led the French squad at the world championships in Valkenburg and planned to hold formal discussions over his future with federation president David Lappartient during the winter months.

    “But unfortunately, we never had the chance,” Jalabert said. “I don’t want to start a polemic, I’m not blaming anyone, neither him [Lappertient] nor the riders.

    “I simply saw the Olympic Games as an injustice because I was lacking in support. I wasn’t the one who chose to select a track rider for the road race but I was judged as the only person responsible for the failure of the French team, even if that’s relative.”

    Jalabert took over from Frédéric Moncassin in 2009 but the French squad failed to collect a medal in the world championships during his tenure. His future in the role began to be questioned publicly in the aftermath of the London Olympics.

    “That was a difficult period for me. There were lots of medals in other sports but we didn’t have anything. All of a sudden, I was a pariah and journalists asked me if I was sure of staying at the head of the French team. That was a big shock, I really didn’t expect it… It would have been good to have a bit of support...

  • Will the UCI sanction disc brakes in the pro peloton?

    SRAM released details of their disc road brakes earlier this week
    Article published:
    April 17, 2013, 11:29 BST
    By:
    Sam Dansie

    International federation to consider hydraulic rims if test data provided

    This story originally appeared on Bikeradar

    The UCI say they will keep an open mind about the use of disc brakes in the professional road peloton, but said manufacturers need to provide performance data before the components can be properly considered for competitive use.

    In the aftermath of SRAM’s announcement of disc brake options for their new Red 22 groupset, a test rider tweeting a photo of a comparable offering from Shimano, and Formula disc brakes said to be compatible with Campagnolo EPS shifters, the trend is inexorably moving towards disc brakes for road racing.

    But Matthieu Mottet, technological coordinator at the UCI, told BikeRadar serious challenges need to be overcome before disc brakes could even be considered for use in UCI sanctioned pro races – and they start with the analysis of temperature, performance and crash test data.

    “We’re thinking about disc brakes for future use, but for the moment we don’t have enough data about them,” he said, adding that the first stage would be analyses of the manufacturers’ performance figures. He said, however, that none of the road disc manufacturers had provided data yet.

    He pointed out two additional safety considerations. Firstly, if some riders used discs and other used rims, the variation in braking performance would be dangerous inside a fast-moving peloton, potentially leading to even more crashes.

    It means that, if disc brakes were sanctioned, all the main manufacturers – Shimano, Campagnolo, SRAM and market newcomers such as TRP – would have to supply UCI accredited discs to the pro teams simultaneously.

    A second safety concern, Mottet pointed out, is heat buildup in the discs, which could lead to serious burns if the brakes touched riders in a...

  • No Giro or Tour for Cancellara?

    An exhausted Fabian Cancellara on the ground in the Roubaix velodrome
    Article published:
    April 17, 2013, 17:18 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    Swiss rider will ride Vuelta as Worlds preparation

    Fabian Cancellara will ride the Vuelta a España as preparation for the world championships in Florence but it may prove to be the only Grand Tour that the Swiss rider competes in this season.

    During the off-season, Cancellara had already hinted at his reluctance to line up at the Tour de France this year and it now appears that his hopes of a first Giro d’Italia participation since 2009 will remain unfulfilled.

    Cancellara is currently resting after a successful classics campaign that saw him win the Tour of Flanders, Paris-Roubaix and E3 Harelbeke, and RadioShack-Leopard manager Luca Guercilena has suggested that he will return to racing at the Tour of Belgium on May 22.

    “The thing 100 per cent certain is that he will prepare for the world championships in Florence by riding the Vuelta,” Guercilena told Het Nieuwsblad.

    As for Cancellara’s immediate plans, Guercilena said that he was unlikely to be in Naples for the start of the Giro on May 4. “He was advised to rest for fourteen days by the doctor so the Giro d’Italia is as good as excluded,” he said. “The Tour of Belgium is an option, not the Tour de France.”
     

  • Moreno over the moon with Flèche Wallonne victory

    Daniel Moreno (Katusha) wins La Flèche Wallonne
    Article published:
    April 17, 2013, 17:55 BST
    By:
    Alasdair Fotheringham

    Moreno shares “lucky Room Number 11” with Rodriguez in Piva’s hotel

    31-year-old Dani Moreno is best known as Joaquim Rodriguez’s key lieutenant at Katusha, but on this occasion it was the domestique not the leader who stole the limelight on the Mur de Huy at Flèche Wallonne.

    Winner of Gran Piemonte and the Sierra Nevada stage of the Vuelta a España in 2011, as well as taking fifth in the Vuelta last year, Moreno had no doubt that this was “the biggest victory of my career without a shadow of a doubt.”

    Moreno played his move perfectly to take Spain’s fourth Flèche Wallonne win in a decade, first following Philippe Gilbert (BMC) – who once again attempted to blow the race apart on the final climb, just as he had in the Amstel Gold – before charging away along on the right and shooting past early attacker Carlos Betancur (Ag2r-La Mondiale).

    “We knew that Joaquim’s condition [after his Amstel Gold injury] was slowly improving, but today we decided to see if I could have a chance myself,” Moreno said afterwards. “This is my favourite race, I’ve always dreamed of winning here and my condition’s been slowly improving over the last few weeks.”

    As chance would have it, this week Moreno is roommates Rodriguez in “Lucky room 11” at Katusha director Valerio Piva’s hotel near Liege where the Russian team are staying for the Ardennes Classics. The same room has been used by numerous Classics winners from four-times Liège-Bastogne-Liège winner Moreno Argentin to Joaquim Rodriguez last year.

    “I’m not usually superstitious but I’m getting that way, I think we’re going to end up buying the room,” Moreno told Cyclingnews with a laugh....