TechPowered By

More tech

Second Edition Cycling News, Friday, December 21, 2012

Date published:
December 21, 2012, 0:00 GMT
  • 2012 Reader Poll: Freire voted legend of cycling

    1999 Elite men's road Worlds podium (L-R): Markus Zberg (Switzerland), 2nd; Oscar Freire (Spain), 1st; Jean-Cyril Robin (France), 3rd
    Article published:
    December 21, 2012, 10:31 GMT
    By:
    Peter Hymas

    Three-time world champion closes remarkable career

    A storied 15-year professional cycling career came to a conclusion on September 23, 2012 as 36-year-old Spaniard Oscar Freire crossed the finish line in 10th place at the elite men's road world championships in Valkenburg, The Netherlands. The savvy, speedy Spaniard was vying for an unprecedented fourth world championship and a spot even higher in the pantheon of cycling legends, but it was not to be in Freire's final day in the professional peloton.

    Cyclingnews readers, however, voted Oscar Freire the 2012 legend of cycling with 7,141 votes (25.34%), topping Kristin Armstrong (5,612 votes/19.91%) and Victoria Pendleton (3,305 votes/11.73%) for top honours.

    It was apropos that Freire's curtain call would take place at the world championships. In Freire's first year as a professional, 1998, he quietly notched a 17th place finish the last time Valkenburg hosted the world championships and the next year's Worlds in Verona, Italy, likely saved the Spaniard's career from oblivion.

    Freire was nearing the end of a two-year contract with Spanish team Vitalicio Seguros and on the start line of the world championships he had not yet found a team for 2000. Beset by injuries, Freire only raced 11 times in 1999 and was a late addition to the Spanish Worlds squad. Soon to be famous for generating remarkable fitness in short periods of time, Freire trained for six weeks prior to Worlds, either alone or behind a scooter, on a circuit near his home in Torrelvega, Spain, resembling the Verona parcours.

    Rounding the final turn at Worlds, Freire would catch his eight breakaway companions by surprise, including such luminaries in the pro peloton as Jan Ullrich, Frank Vandenbroucke, Francesco Casagrande and 1998 world champion Oscar Camenzind, and rode alone over the final 400 meters to be crowned an unlikely...

  • Andy Schleck with a full schedule building up to Tour de France

    Road map to success? Andy Schleck weighs up his options in the woods of the Luxembourg Ardennes.
    Article published:
    December 21, 2012, 11:54 GMT
    By:
    Cycling News

    RadioShack-Nissan rider with “as many races as possible”

    Andy Schleck wants to ride as many races as possible in his build-up to the Tour de France, starting with the Tour Down Under and ending with the Tour de Suisse. “A busy schedule, but it is what I want,” he said.

    He told Wielerrevue.nl that he has asked to ride as many races as possible in the early part of the season. “I think it's important for me that I have as many races in my legs when I go the start of the Classics,” he said.

    The RadioShack-Nissan rider will open his season at the Tour Down Under for the first time, to be followed by the Tour of the Mediterranean, Tour du Haut Var,  GP Nobili, Strade Bianche, Tirreno-Adriatico, Criterium International and the Tour of the Basque Country.

    From there, he will probably head to the Tour of California and wrap up his preparations with the Tour de Suisse, before heading to the start of the Tour de France in Corsica.

    “A busy schedule, but it is what I want,” he said. “I am very motivated to show that I am still a good rider. I want to show  it again. Attacks, maybe win a race. That's why I told the team, give me as many races as possible!

    “Of course, the first races are tricky, because last year I've missed so much. But what motivates me is that I want to win again.”

    A crash in the time trial at the Criterium du Dauphine early last June left him with a fracture in his pelvis. Not only was he forced to miss the Tour de France, Olympic Games and the World championships, he did not return to racing at all until Binche-Tournai-Binche, some four months later.

  • Casper retires from professional cycling

    GP de Denain winner Jimmy Casper (Saur- Sojasun).
    Article published:
    December 21, 2012, 13:50 GMT
    By:
    Cycling News

    Frenchman hangs up wheels after 15 seasons in the peloton

    Jimmy Casper has announced his retirement after failing to secure a contract for the 2013 season. The veteran French sprinter spent the past year at Ag2r-La Mondiale but was unable to add to his total of 61 career victories.

    “Given that no team offered me a contract for 2013, I see I am forced to bring an end to my career as a professional cyclist,” Casper said, according to AFP. “I want to thank all of my teams for all these great moments of life, emotion, sharing and human experience – and for these victories.”

    After turning professional with La Française des Jeux in 1998, Casper made his first waves the following season when he sprang from relative obscurity to beat Erik Zabel on four occasions at the Tour of Germany.

    Casper struggled to confirm that early promise at Marc Madiot’s team but a 2004 switch to Cofidis heralded the most consistently successful spell of his career, crowned by victory on the opening stage of the 2006 Tour de France in Strasbourg.

    While that was Casper’s only win at La Grande Boucle, he was a regular fixture in bunch sprints at the Tour and also in the autobus, finishing as lanterne rouge on two occasions, in 2001 and 2004, as well as second-last overall in 2006.

    Coupled with sparring partner Jimmy Engoulvent, Casper went on to enjoy three solid seasons in the Saur-Sojasun set-up, winning Paris-Camembert in 2009 and a stage of the Tour of Oman in 2010. The 34-year-old Casper is now hoping to continue his involvement in cycling in a coaching role.

    “I hope to succeed in my re-adaptation in this cycling environment, which I love and which has given me so much,” he...

  • 2012 Reader Poll: Voigt voted best rider on Twitter

    Jens Voigt (RadioShack-Nissan)
    Article published:
    December 21, 2012, 15:22 GMT
    By:
    Daniel Simms

    I just try and entertain people a little bit, says German

    The votes are in, the results have been counted and Jens Voigt (RadioShack Nissan) has been voted your favourite professional rider on twitter in the Cyclingnews Reader poll, 2012.

    The jolly German secured the title with a total of the 32 per cent of the vote with 2011 winner Mark Cavendish in second place with 20 per cent. David Millar finished a distant third with 18 per cent.

    Voigt, 41, told Cyclingnews that he was honoured to pick up the award.

    "First of all thanks for voting for me," he told Cyclingnews during a recent RadioShack team camp.

    "Hopefully you didn't just vote for me because I put out the biggest amount of tweets. Hopefully you liked the contents and the quality of it. Actually I tried to give a whole view into my life, not just the hours I ride and the Watts and the calories I've burned.

    "I've tried to let fans be part of my life. As you can image with six kids, my mother in law living with me and the cat and the dog there's always something going on. I just try and entertain people a little bit. I like to be amongst the people and share a large part of my life. For me it's good because in the end the fans are really important and the feedback you get is really true and honest."

     

    Results

    ...
  • UCI introduces equal prize money at Worlds

    The UCI
    Article published:
    December 21, 2012, 15:56 GMT
    By:
    Cycling News

    Men's and women's cycling to have prize money parity

    The UCI has today announced that starting in 2013 the majority of men's and women's world championships will share equal prize money.

    Beginning with the cyclo-cross Worlds in Louisville on February 2 and 3, all disciplines, with the exception of the road team time trial, will have parity.

    UCI President Pat McQuaid welcomed the decision, saying no distinction should be made between the achievements of men and women: "The Management Committee’s approval is a simple but very important step forward in our effort to guarantee a healthy and fair future for our sport."

     

     

  • Nissan confirm immediate split with RadioShack

    Radioshack use their usual Nissan Qashqai team cars
    Article published:
    December 21, 2012, 16:38 GMT
    By:
    Cycling News

    Joint sponsor leaves team

    Nissan has confirmed that it will cease its joint sponsor venture of the RadioShack Nissan team with immediate affect. It was reported on Thursday that the car manufacturing giant would pull back from the sport but comply with its financial commitments to the cycling team through 2013, when their deal was contractually due to finish.Today Nissan confirmed that they would honor their financial obligations with the team but that their jersey and team sponsorship would cease immediately. 

    Nissan renewed its co-title sponsorship with the team of Flavio Becca in 2011 through the 2013 season, but after a hugely damaging year for the team and cycling as a whole, Nissan has pulled out.

    The team were heavily tied to USADA’s investigation into Lance Armstrong (a former rider of the team) and the US Postal team. RadioShack’s Johan Bruyneel was forced to leave the team, while Frank Schleck failed a drug test during this year’s Tour de France.

    Coupled with a lack of results, David Reuter, the vice-president of Nissan Americas, told the Guardian, "Nissan and the management team of RadioShack-Nissan-Trek cycling have reached an agreement that provides for Nissan's immediate withdrawal as a sponsor of the team, while enabling the team to continue competing in the upcoming 2013 season.”

    The move follows a similar play from Rabobank, the Dutch bank that had financed a professional cycling team since 1996. However they pulled out of the sport immediately after the USADA case against Armstrong was finalised. They too decided to financially support a squad for 2013 but their name will not appear on the team’s jersey. 

  • Spanish Federation says no decision yet taken on Minguez as new road coach

    On the road to Jaca at the Vuelta and the peloton have to deal with 40 degree heat
    Article published:
    December 21, 2012, 18:19 GMT
    By:
    Alasdair Fotheringham

    Horrillo and Minguez to meet with federation president next week

    Spanish Cycling Federation president José Luís Lopez Cerron has denied reports that he has selected former sports director Javier Minguez to be the federation's new road coach.

    The spot fell vacant after coach José Luiz De Santos quit this winter to go and work for as director in Alberto Contador's new under 23 team, but López Cerron says that newspaper reports that Minguez will get the job, with former pro. Pedro Horrillo as his new second-in-command, looking after women's cycling and junior categories, have jumped the gun.

    "We've agreed to meet up face to face some day next week and discuss it but that's as far as it goes," López Cerron told Cyclingnews.

    "I've talked to both of them, but only by phone and briefly, and I've asked a number of top riders whether they would approve of that particular choice. But nothing's decided yet and it's not a priority."

    After a brief career as a pro, Minguez is well known as one of Spain's top directors in the 1980s and 1990s, winning two Vueltas - with Faustino Ruperez and Alvaro Pino - and directing teams of the calibre of Zor, Amaya, Banesto and Vitalicio before turning, in 2001, to commentating on cycling for various radio stations. In latter two teams, curiously enough, López Cerron was his second in command.

    López Cerron praised Minguez ability as a director and said, "He can read races really well, which is extremely important in a one-day Classic. But as for becoming new road trainer, right now I don't even know if he's available for the job."

  • Mollema aims for Classics and Tour de France in 2013

    Bauke Mollema (Blanco) is aiming for the Ardennes classics and the Tour de France.
    Article published:
    December 21, 2012, 19:15 GMT
    By:
    Barry Ryan

    Dutchman on the transition from Rabobank to Blanco

    2012 was a mixed year for Bauke Mollema. On the one hand, a crash-blighted Tour de France meant that he was unable to build on his fourth-place finish at the previous year’s Vuelta a España, but that setback was tempered in part by the Dutchman’s progress in the Classics.

    A top-10 finisher in Amstel Gold Race, Flèche Wallonne, Liège-Bastogne-Liège and the Tour of Lombardy, Mollema was active at the business end of the one-day races best-suited to his talents, even if one senses that did not compensate for the distress of being forced to abandon the Tour due to injury.

    “I think you can look at my season in two ways,” Mollema told Cyclingnews. “The Classics went really well. Ok, I was always between fifth and 10th but before 2012, I never did the top 10 in a big Classic so I made a lot of progression in the Classics and I’m really happy with that.

    “But then the stage races and especially the Tour were disappointing. I was third in the Basque Country and that was a nice result in April but the Tour and the Vuelta were not what I hoped for.”

    A stricken Mollema abandoned the Tour on stage 11 to La Toussuire, and after spending 10 days off the bike on his return home and welcoming the arrival of his first child in August, the 26-year-old from Groningen was well shy of his top form when the Vuelta came around, finishing 28th after riding in support of Robert Gesink. “That was disappointing but at least I know what the reasons were,” he said.

    For 2013 then, Mollema will look to dream it up all over again in the colours of Blanco Pro Cycling, and once more, he will try to combine a concerted push towards the Ardennes classics with his Tour de France build-up.

    “I think you can do both and maybe...

  • # Rider Name (Country) Team Result
    1 Jens Voigt: @thejensie 32.09%