TechPowered By

More tech

First Edition Cycling News, Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Date published:
November 04, 2009, 0:00 GMT
  • Evans to launch Perth races on Friday

    Cadel Evans (Silence-Lotto) is offered some advice before the race.
    Article published:
    November 04, 2009, 4:57 GMT
    By:
    Cycling News

    World Champion guest speaker at breakfast launch

    Cadel Evans will continue his whirlwind tour of Australia in Perth, Western Australia on Friday where he is the honorary guest at the launch of two local International Cycling Union (UCI) ranked races. Evans, who became the nation’s first UCI World Road Champion last month in Switzerland, has been visiting his homeland’s capital cities to promote his new book Cadel Evans: Close to flying since arriving in the nation last week.

    Evans will speak at the official launch of the Scody Tour de Perth and Perth Track Cycling Grand Prix at the Novotel Perth Langley Hotel on Friday morning. He will be joined by Tour de Perth organizing committee chairman Julian Atkinson and local councilor John Tognolini as speakers at the breakfast launch.

    The Perth races commence this weekend with the Perth International Track Cycling Grand Prix, to be held on the city’s 250 metre indoor SpeedDome. The annual race will feature local stars like World Track Champions Cameron Meyer and Josephine Tomic as well as South Australian Olympic gold and silver medallist Anna Meares.

    The racing continues a week later with the Scody Tour de Perth, a round of Cycling Australia’s National Racing Series. The four stage race includes a criterium, individual time trial and two circuit races, held between November 13-15. Confirmed starters for the event include Fly V Australia’s Ben King and Jayco-AIS rider Adam Semple.

    Evans revealed earlier this week he would join Professional Continental team BMC Racing Team in 2010, in a surprise announcement. The news come following an equally unexpected announcement from his former ProTour squad Silence-Lotto that it would release the two time Tour de France runner-up from his existing contract, that went through to the end of next season.

    Follow Cyclingnews on Twitter for the very latest coverage of events taking place in the cycling world -

  • McCauley confident of Southland chances

    Gordon McCauley (Subway-Avanti) won the three-man sprint for stage honours.
    Article published:
    November 04, 2009, 5:51 GMT
    By:
    Cycling News

    Stage win inspires national champion

    New Zealand road champion Gordon McCauley (Subway-Avanti) believes overall victory at the Tour of Southland is an option, following a successful day in the saddle. McCauley not only claimed victory on stage five, but he maximized the blustery conditions to move within a minute of the overall race lead.

    McCauley, runner-up in the Tour last year, said tomorrow’s climb up to the top of the Crown Range is the key to going one better at this year’s race. Jeremy Vennell (Bissell Pro Cycling) narrowly lost the race lead to Jack Bauer (Share The Road) on today’s second stage.

    “Jack Bauer is riding so well on the flat and up the hills,” said McCauley. “But he and his team will get attacks from four or five different teams tomorrow. It will be like a machine gun going off at him as we all have a go. I’m just going to keep attacking.”

    McCauley’s move into the top five overall comes as a welcome turn of events for his Subway-Avanti squad. The team was a big casualty on the opening day’s pile up, but with the wounds healed and a potential general classification victory on the horizon, the team’s outlook has improved vastly.

    “The tour didn’t start well for us with four of us crashing on that first day and finishing with sore bodies and bikes held together with hose clips,” McCauley said. “Today was great for our Subway Avanti team with Josh second in the morning and then my win today, which was set-up really well by Jo Cooper. My teammates were fantastic today.

    With four stages remaining just 56 seconds separates the top five on general classification, led by Bauer, Marc Ryan (Colourplus), Vennell, Heath Blackgrove (Zookeepers - Cycle Surgery) and Mccauley. Floyd Landis, who was brought in from the United States of America to fill a void in Cyclingnzshop.com - Bio Sport’s team, is 11:18 minutes behind on general classification in 36th place,...

  • Giro d'Italia considers start in Washington DC

    2009 Giro winner Denis Menchov points to map, far away from Washington DC
    Article published:
    November 04, 2009, 11:08 GMT
    By:
    Gregor Brown

    Italian three-week tour receives interest from mayor of USA's capital

    The Giro d'Italia is considering starting its three-week race outside of Europe for the first time. USA's capital, Washington DC, would like to be a host city of the race in the coming years, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport.

    "For some time we have had the idea of holding the Giro's start in America. But now there exists a concrete interest from the city of Washington," said race director Angelo Zomegnan.

    Washington DC's Mayor Adrian Fenty will help the bid. He is a fan of cycling and competes in triathlons to stay in shape.

    If the race organised a start in Washington DC it could also hold an additional two to three stages along the east coast. It could travel to Philadelphia, former home of the US national championships, or a stage to New York City.

    None of the three Grand Tours (Giro d'Italia, Tour de France and Vuelta a España) has ever begun outside of Europe. The major problems facing Giro organiser RCS Sport are the cost, travel time and jet lag to resume the race in Italy. It takes eight hours to fly from New York City to Milan and there is a six-hour time difference between the two cities.

    The Giro first started outside of Italy 44 years ago, from San Marino in 1965. Next year, it starts with three stages in The Netherlands, all based from Amsterdam.

    Follow Cyclingnews on Twitter for the very latest coverage of events taking place in the cycling world - twitter.com/cyclingnewsfeed
     

  • Gómez Marchante joins Andalucía Cajasur

    Angel Gomez Marchante and Xavier Florencio help each other out during the stage.
    Article published:
    November 04, 2009, 11:35 GMT
    By:
    Richard Tyler

    Spaniard leaves Cervélo after one season as Andalucía hope for international invitations

    José Ángel Gómez Marchante will leave Cervélo after one season to join Spanish pro continental squad Andalucía Cajasur for next year, his new team confirmed on Tuesday.

    Gómez Marchante, 29, has joined Andalucía Cajasur as the team expands its roster for 2010. Along with Gómez Marchante, Andalucía have also confirmed the signature of Manuel Vázquez, 28, from fellow pro continental squad Contentpolis-Ampo.

    With the addition of Gómez Marchante and Vázquez, Andalucía have now confirmed 15 riders for next season. The team expects that the two new riders will form part of an eventual 22-man squad, designed to increase their chances of invitation to major international races, including the Grand Tours.

    Andalucía have received wildcard invitations to the past three editions of the Vuelta a España. Last month, the team's manager, Antonio Cabello, was invited to the launch of the 2010 Giro d'Italia, a sign that the team could follow in the footsteps of Spain's Xacobeo Galicia, who received a wildcard invitation to this year's Giro.

    Andalucía Cajasur described Gómez Marchante as their marquee signing for the new season. He leaves Cervélo TestTeam after one season. Andalucía will rely on him for high finishes at stage races. A former winner of the Vuelta al País Vasco (2006), he finished 22nd at this year's Vuelta. He has previously finished fifth at the Spanish Grand Tour, while riding for Saunier Duval in 2006.

    Andalucía Cajasur's current 2010 roster includes: José Ángel Gómez Marchante, Manuel Vázquez, Antonio Piedra, Jesús Rosendo, Javier Moreno, Javier Ramírez Abeja, Manuel Ortega, Javier Estrada and Jose Luis Roldán. The team will also introduce five...

  • Sánchez to target Tour podium in 2010

    Spaniard Samuel Sánchez (Euskaltel-Euskadi) dreams of Tour de France podium finish
    Article published:
    November 04, 2009, 12:12 GMT
    By:
    Gregor Brown

    Olympic Champion pleased with Tour de France's mountainous route

    Samuel Sánchez (Euskaltel-Euskadi) wants to place in the top three of the overall classification at next year's Tour de France. The Spaniard says a strong performance at the French Grand Tour will be his major goal in 2010.

    "I dream of a podium finish and a stage win at the Tour," Olympic Champion Sánchez told Marca.

    He has the capability of a high finish, based on his performance at his national tour, the Vuelta a España, in September. He finished second overall after three weeks of racing, behind Spaniard Alejandro Valverde and ahead of Cadel Evans.

    This year, he skipped the Tour to race the Vuelta and prepare for the World Championships. Last year, he used the Tour de France as a lead up to his Olympic road race win. He finished sixth overall at the 2008 Tour, 6:25 behind winner Carlos Sastre.

    Sánchez said he will take a vacation and then plan next season's schedule. Although he already has a clear idea of his main focus, "the Tour, only the Tour," he said.

    Tour organiser Amaury Sports Organisation (ASO) presented the course for the 2010 Tour de France last month in Paris. The race will start in Rotterdam, Netherlands, on July 3 and end in Paris on Sunday, July 25. Its first mountains come in the Alps, with stages to Morzine and Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne. Four Pyrenean mountain stages have been included in the final week, with the summit finish to the Col du Tourmalet four days before the finish.

    "I like [the 2010 Tour course]," continued Sánchez. "It has a very hard last week, when I usually go well. Like the Vuelta, there are three consecutive hard stages [Ax-3 Domaines, Bagnères-de-Luchon and Pau]. Then, after a day of rest, the Tourmalet and the final...

  • Ronde van Drenthe expands for 2010

    The Drenthe region is gearing up for the arrival of La Vuelta and has the bulls to prove it.
    Article published:
    November 04, 2009, 12:51 GMT
    By:
    Richard Tyler

    Success of Drenthe's 2009 Vuelta start provokes race organisers to add second day to men's race

    Organisers of The Netherlands' Ronde van Drenthe have announced that the 2010 edition of the men's race will be expanded to a two-day event for the first time.

    Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf reports that the expansion of the race has come after demand from residents of the Drenthe region.  It was the host of the first two stages of this year's Vuelta a España.

    The Vuelta's start "has motivated many more places in our province, who now want their own race, the Ronde van Drenthe, to visit their area. But it is impossible for the whole province to do this in one day, hence this extension," race organiser Femmy van Issum told De Telegraaf.

    The race, which holds UCI1.1 status, will take place on April 10-11 and will also celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2010.

    Since 2005, the women's event has also been incorporated into the International Cycling Union's (UCI) Women's road World Cup. Next year, the women's race, the Unive Ronde van Drenthe, will continue as a World Cup event. The one-day will take place on April 10.

    In 2009, the men's Ronde van Drenthe was won by Italy's Maurizio Biondi (Ceramica Flaminia - Bossini Docce), while the women's World Cup race was won by Swede Emma Johansson (Red Sun Cycling Team).

    Follow Cyclingnews on Twitter for the very latest coverage of events taking place in the cycling world - twitter.com/cyclingnewsfeed
     

  • UCI announce Para-cycling road World Cup series

    Sarah Storey (GBr) will be in action at the Para-cycling Track Worlds this weekend. Para-cycling is set to expand with the announcement of a road World Cup for 2010.
    Article published:
    November 04, 2009, 13:35 GMT
    By:
    Richard Tyler

    New world series announced two days out from 2009 Para-cycling Track Worlds

    The International Cycling Union (UCI) has announced a significant expansion of the 2010 Para-cycling calendar with the introduction of a road World Cup series for nest year.

    The three-round Para-cycling World Cup series is scheduled to begin in Corrèze, France, May 21-23. The French round will be followed by events in Segovia, Spain (June 11-13) and Baie-Comeau in Canada, July 2-4.

    "The UCI is confident that this first edition [of the World Cup series] will be very successful," said the UCI's Para-cycling Coordinator Chantale Philie.

    The UCI said points gained by nations competing in the inaugural series will contribute to qualification criteria for the 2011 UCI Para-cycling Road World Championships, which are for the first time to be held in conjunction with the UCI Road World Championships in Roskilde, Denmark.

    The UCI also indicated that the World Cup series is likely to be expanded to include a fourth event in 2011.

    "The series should include four events from 2011. The new race should be organised in Asia or Oceania, which will contribute to the universal development of the discipline."

    Britain to build for 2012 London Paralympics in Manchester

    In a strong sign of its commitment to the development Para-cycling, the UCI's announcement of the new road World Cup series comes just two days before the start of the 2009 UCI Para-cycling Track World Championships at Manchester Velodrome on Friday.

    Athletes from countries including Australia, the USA and the Czech Republic will join riders from the host nation, Great Britain, for the three-day Track World Championships, November 6-8.

    For Britain, who took 17 gold medals at last year's Beijing Paralympic games, this year's Worlds are viewed stepping stone towards what they hope will be an even more successful Paralympic campaign in London in 2012.

    "This year is all about trying out new things in our team, from new...

  • Mosquera discovers fractured collarbone

    Ezequiel Mosquera (Xacobeo Galicia) after his crash in the Vuelta a España stage 17
    Article published:
    November 04, 2009, 15:10 GMT
    By:
    Gregor Brown

    Examination 10 days after crash reveals Spaniard fractured left collarbone

    Spaniard Ezequiel Mosquera (Xacobeo Galicia) was today diagnosed with a fractured left collarbone, the result of a crash in the Criterium de Alcobendas in Madrid on October 25.

    "The doctor who examined me after I crashed in Alcobendas just touched me and thought it was broken, but ruled it out after x-rays," said Mosquera in a press release.

    Mosquera said he had gone for a check up Tuesday because of ongoing pain. Additional x-rays revealed he had a simple fracture of his collarbone.

    "I have my arm in a sling for ten days and then return to check the healing," he continued.

    He was planning on racing in the Spanish Professional Cyclists Association (ACP) criterium in San Andrés del Rabanedo (León), Spain, Sunday, but has now called an immediate end his season.

    Mosquera, 33, won stage five and finished fourth overall in the Vuelta a Burgos earlier this season. He finished fifth overall behind Alejandro Valverde at the Vuelta a España in September.

    Valverde won the Criterium de Alcobendas ahead of Alberto Contador.

    Follow Cyclingnews on Twitter for the very latest coverage of events taking place in the cycling world - twitter.com/cyclingnewsfeed