TechPowered By

More tech

First Edition Cycling News, Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Date published:
July 24, 2013, 1:00 BST
  • Schleck brothers to reunite on Trek team in 2014

    Leopard Trek's Andy and Frank Schleck.
    Article published:
    July 23, 2013, 20:57 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    Andy and Fränk both signed by WorldTour squad

    Trek Bicycle added Andy and Fränk Schleck to the brand's 2014 WorldTour team roster. The brothers will reunite under the Trek banner, headlining the team throughout the racing season including the Ardennes Classics and Grand Tours.

    The Schlecks are the team's latest signing, after Fabian Cancellara announced earlier this month that he would race for the team beginning next year.

    "We're very excited to add two riders that bring the race experience and professionalism that Andy and Fränk both have," said Trek VP Joe Vadeboncoeur. "We've built a strong relationship with them in the past few years, and we can't wait to see what we'll be able to accomplish together next season"

    "Andy and I feel very similar about Trek," said Fränk Schleck about the signing. "We have a good relationship and we hold Trek in our hearts. They supported me throughout the rough period I have been through - from the people on the road to the top management. We wanted to return this confidence and trust by signing on to their new project."

    Fränk Schleck recently finished serving a year-long ban for his positive test for Xipamide at last year's Tour de France but shortly before the expiration of his suspension, he was informed that he would not be re-hired by RadioShack before the end of the season.

    "I'm happy to re-sign with the Trek family and be a part of this project. The jersey of the team may be different but I'm happy that a large part of this team will remain intact," said Andy Schleck. "I'm really looking forward to the future with this team."

    Trek is currently in the process of building the 2014 team...

  • Rhim prevails at Tour de l’Abitibi Desjardins

    2013 Tour de l'Abitibi Desjardins winner Brendan Rhim on the top step of the podium along with the other classification winners
    Article published:
    July 23, 2013, 22:01 BST
    By:
    Peter Hymas

    US rider wins North America's premier stage race for juniors

    Riding for the USA Cycling National Development Program, Brendan Rhim won the overall classification on Sunday at the 2013 Tour de l’Abitibi Desjardins in Québec, Canada. The 17-year-old Norwich, Vermont resident took a two-second victory over Australia's Owen Gillott while Canada's Olivier Brisebois finished third overall at 10 seconds.

    The Tour de l’Abitibi is North America's premier stage race for juniors and the only North American road race for junior men with a UCI sanction. The 2013 race, the event's 45th edition, encompassed six days and seven stages of racing in northwestern Québec from July 16 to 21.

    The US national team won the event in 2012, courtesy of Taylor Eisenhart, but the US team director Barney King knew it would be a challenge to duplicate that performance.

    "The prior year, 2012, we had an exceptionally strong team and we won virtually everything that was up for grabs," King told Cyclingnews. "We placed riders stacked at the top of the GC but it was kind of expected because of the depth of the team that we had.

    "This year, 2013, I had high expectations but they were tempered because of the previous year and the success that we've had. Also this year was a very big year for the Canadian national team program because Abitibi was a selection team for their world championship pool so they were picking riders out of this race to fall into their talent pool. Plus the depth of the field amongst the regional teams and the club and trade teams had gotten much deeper.

    "I was pretty convinced it was going to be a tight race and it was going to come down to seconds."

    Rhim assumed the Tour de l’Abitibi's brown jersey of the overall race leader after crossing the line second in the 103km stage 5 road race from Timiskaming First Nation to Lorrainville on Saturday as part of a five-rider break. Once the time bonuses were factored in Rhim now led stage 5 winner Olivier...

  • Team Colombia names Tour de Pologne roster

    Darwin Atapuma (Colombia Coldeportes) celebrates his stage win atop the snowy Passo Pordoi.
    Article published:
    July 24, 2013, 0:29 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    Team looks for success in opening mountain stages

    The Pro Continental squad Team Colombia today announced its roster for the 70th Tour de Pologne, July 27-August 3, the third WorldTour event of the season to which the team has received a wild card invite.

    The Tour de Pologne has extra significance for Team Colombia as the first two stages take place in the Italian Dolomites on roads and climbs where the team has already had success.

    Stage 2 of the Tour de Pologne, 206.5km from Marilleva Val di Sole to Passo Pordoi, concludes on the same mountain finish where Colombia's Darwin Atapuma climbed to victory in the final stage at the 2012 Giro del Trentino and the 25-year-old is eager to duplicate the result.

    The Tour de Pologne makes history this year as the foray into Italy is the event's first time that stages take place outside of Poland. Additionally, the Tour de Pologne will see teams of only six riders, instead of the usual eight, as the WorldTour experiments with smaller teams.

    Joining Atapuma on Team Colombia's six-man roster is Fabio Duarte, the former U23 road race world champion who will look to start a successful second half of the season after a lengthy break from racing following the Giro d'Italia. Robinson Chalapud and Carlos Julian Quintero, who along with Atapuma and Duarte spent a training period in Colombia prior to the Tour de Pologne, look forward to the hillier stages, while Leonardo Duque and Jeffry Romero will seek opportunities in the stages for the sprinters.

    "After a break, the guys who rode the Giro are ready to restart" said directeur sportif Valerio Tebaldi. "The Trentino stages are certainly suited to our characteristics. The Pordoi finish gave us a huge joy last year with Atapuma's victory, even though this time Darwin will face it...

  • Armstrong, Bruyneel attempt to have whistleblower case dismissed

    Johan Bruyneel and Lance Armstrong in the good old days
    Article published:
    July 24, 2013, 2:00 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    US Postal Service got exactly what it bargained for, say lawyers

    Lance Armstrong and Johan Bruyneel have both sought a dismissal of the whistleblower case brought by the United States Justice Department and Floyd Landis. The US Postal team's management company Tailwind Sports, financier Tom Weisel, Armstrong's agent Bill Stapleton and former Tailwind president Barton Knaggs are also implicated in the case which was issued in 2010.

    Armstrong's lawyers on Tuesday argued that the case is null and void due to the statute of limitations, also that the US Postal Service "got exactly what it bargained for."

    A report in USA Today rehashed part of the motion which read:

    "Although the government now pretends to be aggrieved by these allegations, its actions at the time are far more telling: Did it immediately fire the Postal Service Team? Did it suspend the team pending an investigation? Did it refer the matter to its phalanx of lawyers and investigators at the Department of Justice for review? It did not.

    "Rather than exercise its right to terminate the sponsorship agreement, it instead renewed its contract to sponsor the team. The rationale behind the government's decision is obvious. Armstrong had recently won the 2000 Tour de France. The government wanted a winner and all the publicity, exposure, and acclaim that goes along with being his sponsor. It got exactly what it bargained for."

    Bruyneel meanwhile also argues the statute of limitations and that he was under no obligation to pay money to the US government.

    Armstrong was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles in the wake of the United States Anti-Doping Agency's Reasoned Decision document and later confessed to using banned methods to achieve his Tour victories. The...

  • Durand admits name will be on French Senate list of EPO positives

    Jacky Durand was often in solo breaks but once in a while hung on to big cars as well, costing him to see the Champs-Elysees in 2002.
    Article published:
    July 24, 2013, 6:26 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    Frenchman says "next generation must not pay for our crap from the past"

    Jacky Durand says his name will appear on the list of 44 positives for EPO that will be released by the French Senate on Wednesday.

    Durand, a three-time stage winner of the Tour de France and Tour of Flanders winner, has told his employer Eurosport that he hopes that the report results in real reforms for the sport of cycling.

    "I admit my actions," he said. "I always deliberately discussed this for many years, whether with young riders, different journalists or my employers. Anyway I think that nobody is fooled. Press, supporters, spectators and racers know the difference between current and traditional practices regarding EPO. But of course, the general public may be confused between what happened in 1998 and what is happening now.

    "The next generation must not pay for our crap from the past," he continued. "Today, I do not think of myself, but of them. My career is behind me. I think of the kid that is a break out during the Tour and to himt we will say 'you, you're drugged, like the others'. I think of a Thibaut Pinot, who finished 10th in the Tour at age 22, or a Romain Bardet. And I do not want it discredited by the pretext that our generation has been bullshit. Our sport is much cleaner now, I want people to understand."

    The results and the report was initially expected to be published on July 18, the day of the Tour de France stage to Alpe d'Huez but was delayed until Wednesday after riders held talks with French sports minister Valérie Fourneyron.

    According to French media, 44 of 60 urine samples that were retroactively tested contained traces of EPO. In 1998 there was no test for the banned blood-boosting drug. The late Marco Pantani won the 1998 Tour...

  • Kittel: I don't know where my future lies

    Marcel Kittel (Argos-Shimano) won his fourth stage of the Tour on the Champs Elysees
    Article published:
    July 24, 2013, 8:47 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    Sprinter still in talks with Argos-Shimano and other teams

    Marcel Kittel has not extended his contract with Argos-Shimano, nor has he yet decided where he will ride after the 2014 season. “I do not know where my future lies,” he told the Belga news agency.

    A notice appeared on the Argos-Shimano Facebook page Monday that he had extended his contract through 2016.  That notice was withdrawn and Kittel's manager denied the signing.

    “The message from Argos-Shimano was very premature. I have not yet signed anything, despite the  many rumors. There have been discussions with Argos-Shimano, but also with other teams. I want to stay, but there is no signature. If there is a breakthrough in my contract negotiations? I cannot answer that,” he said.  Kittel spoke to the press before the start of the criterium race in Roeselare, Belgium, which he won.

    The German sprinter won four stages at the recent Tour de France, including the first and last stages. His achievements were well celebrated, he said. “After my victory on the Champs-Elysées, I had something to celebrate with my teammates. That is what we have done extensively. It was early in the morning when I saw my bed again."

  • French Senate states suspicions over Froome are unfounded

    Fans wonder if riders are on EPO or not.
    Article published:
    July 24, 2013, 11:41 BST
    By:
    Jean-François Quénet

    Secretary of anti-doping commission full of praise for Durand, won’t pursue Jalabert

    After hearing testimonies from 83 sportsmen and officials since February, the anti-doping commission of the French Senate made proposals to strengthen the fight against drugs and released documents including retrospective analysis conducted on the samples of cyclists during the 1998 and 1999 Tours de France.

    Secretary Jean-Jacques Lozach warned the media: “There are a lot of uncertainties. For some riders, there could be a debate [whether they used drugs or not]. It’s not a list of positive tests. It’s scientific data.”

    Senators were adamant this publication will not have any consequences in terms of sporting record books. Questioned about people who may have lied under oath, like Laurent Jalabert whose name appears among those who have used EPO for the 1998 Tour de France, they said: “Nobody will face sanctions. We aren’t policemen. We aren’t magistrates. We haven’t noted absolute lies but put-offs and self-censorship.”

    Lozach was full of praise for Jacky Durand’s reaction when his name was leaked from the list of EPO users fifteen years ago, a radically different one from Jalabert’s. “I admit my actions”, Durand said. “The next generation must not pay for our crap from the past. Our sport is much cleaner now.”

    “I’ve liked Durand’s words”, Lozach echoed. “It’s the speech of the truth by someone who lives with it. He refuses the mix up with the current era and he’s right to do so. I trust the generation of the current riders, notably the French. We also know that suspicions over Chris Froome’s performances in the recent...

  • French Senate releases positive EPO cases from 1998 Tour de France

    Marco Pantani, Jan Ullrich and Bobby Julich on the podium at the end of the 1998 Tour de France.
    Article published:
    July 24, 2013, 12:00 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    Zabel, Ullrich, Pantani and Livingston all listed

    The French Senate has released the names of riders who returned traces of EPO in doping controls during the 1998 Tour de France. On Wednesday morning the Senate met to discuss their report, which had gathered testimonies from 83 sportsmen and officials since February, including UCI President Pat McQuaid and former rider and French national coach Laurent Jalabert.

    Along with naming riders who had tested positive the anti-doping commission of the French Senate made proposals to strengthen the fight against drugs and released documents including retrospective analysis conducted on the samples of cyclists during the 1998 Tours de France.

    The samples, although taken in 1998, were part of a retroactive testing programme carried out by the French Anti-Doping Agency AFLD in 2004. The list contains 18 riders with traces of EPO and 12 riders that the Senate reported as suspicious.

    The Senate ordered that no results would be stripped as a result of their report: "Nobody will face sanctions. We aren’t policemen. We aren’t magistrates. We haven’t noted absolute lies but put-offs and self-censorship," they said.

    Positive:

    Andrea Tafi, Erik Zabel, Bo Hamburger (twice), Laurent Jalabert, Marcos Serrano, Jens Heppner, Jeroen Blijlevens, Nicola Minali, Mario Cipollini, Fabio Sacchi, Eddy Mazzoleni, Jacky Durand, Abraham Olano, Laurent Desbiens, Marco Pantani, Manuel Beltran, Jan Ullrich (twice), Kevin Livingston (twice)

    Suspicious:
    Ermanno Brignoli, Alain Turicchia, Pascal Chanteur, Frederic Moncassin, Bobby Julich, Roland Meier, Giuseppe Calcaterra, Stefano Zanini, Eddy Mazzoleni, Stephane Barthe, Stuart O'Grady, Axel Merckx