TechPowered By

More tech

First Edition Cycling News, Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Date published:
December 08, 2009, 0:00 GMT
  • BMC Racing Team confirm 2010 line-up

    US Champion George Hincapie
    Article published:
    December 07, 2009, 13:14 GMT
    By:
    Richard Tyler

    US-based team apply for UCI Wild Card status, strong contingent of US and Swiss riders

    Professional Continental BMC Racing Team today confirmed that they have applied for International Cycling Union (UCI) Wild Card status as they announced their complete 23-rider roster.

    The team's marquee signings George Hincapie, Alessandro Ballan and World Champion Cadel Evans will lead an international line-up as the team looks towards what they hope will be a busy schedule of top-level races.

    "The past two seasons we have grown into a strong team, and combining that with the big recruitment effort we have made this year, we expect to be competitive in every race we enter from the one day classics to the one week stage races to the Grand Tours," said the team’s Directeur Sportif John Lelangue.

    In addition to US Champion Hincapie, Italian Ballan and Australian Evans, the team also signed Dutchman Karsten Kroon, German Marcus Burghardt and Norwegian Alexander Kristoff. The line-up also includes a total of nine Swiss riders and eight US athletes.

    Despite the pedigree of their squad, BMC's Professional Continental licence means they will have to rely on invitations from organisers of a number of major events, including the Grand Tours. As they did this season, the team has once again applied for UCI Wild Card status. If granted, it would ensure that they can participate in ProTour events, such as the Ronde van Vlaanderen and Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré.

    "We want to be at all the big races, though of course there are no guarantees," said Lelangue. "But I am sure we have the organization to be competitive and that is a huge satisfaction."

    The team have already secured participation in at least one ProTour event. Organizers of the Tour Down Under last month confirmed that Cadel Evans will lead BMC's team for the six-stage race. The team will also take part in the Tours of Qatar and Oman.

    BMC also announced today three US riders who will represent the team in the...

  • Horrillo visits site of his Giro crash

    Pedro Horillo (Rabobank)
    Article published:
    December 07, 2009, 13:30 GMT
    By:
    Cycling News

    Tours site with rescue workers who saved him

    Seven months after his horrific crash at the Giro d’Italia that left him with life-threatening injuries, Rabobank rider Pedro Horrillo has returned to the site of the incident on the Culmine di San Pietro. The Spaniard had been hoping to ride up to the point where, he says, “that day my second life began”. However, heavy snowfall in the region north of Bergamo meant that the journey had to be done by car.

    Travelling with Horrillo were members of the rescue team who located him 80m down in a ravine after he crashed over the roadside barrier while descending. They were able to point out details of the rescue, about which Horrillo has no memory whatsoever.

    Horrillo also visited doctors and other staff who treated him in Bergamo’s hospital for a number of weeks after the incident. He spent several days in an induced coma while he was treated for a wide range of injuries, including fractures of his femur and kneecap as well as the loss of half of his blood.

    “I’ve regained 100% of the functionality in my [left] leg,” Horrillo told La Gazzetta dello Sport. “I’ve returned because I’ve been born twice. The first time on the 27 September 1974. The second time on 16 May last, when I crashed down onto the rocks. I’ve seen the place where it happened and it’s incredible that I’m still alive. It’s really shaken me up. I feel like a cat with nine lives.”

    During his visit, Horrillo was awarded the Emilio Paganessi prize given for outstanding achievements in the Bergamo region.

     

  • Nibali dismisses Omega Pharma-Lotto, Sky transfer rumours

    A snow-clad Vincenzo Nibali grins at the Liquigas winter training camp this week
    Article published:
    December 07, 2009, 14:51 GMT
    By:
    Gregor Brown

    Young Italian admits offer came from Team Sky, but will stay with Liquigas next season

    Italy's Vincenzo Nibali dismissed rumours that he will transfer to Omega Pharma-Lotto or Team Sky for 2010. He will finish the last year of his contract with Liquigas-Doimo, as he aims to improve on his seventh place finish at the 2009 Tour de France.

    "I had an offer from Sky, but I already have a contract with Liquigas and I want to respect it," said Nibali.

    Liquigas-Doimo has four riders for the general classification in Grand Tours: Ivan Basso, Franco Pellizotti, Roman Kreuziger and Nibali. Team Manager Roberto Amadio decided last Monday that Nibali will be one of three leaders at the Tour de France, July 3 to 25, with Basso and Kreuziger. Pellizotti won the mountains classification this year and will race for a stage win.

    Nibali, 25, and Kreuziger, 23, led Italy's Liquigas-Doimo at this year's Tour de France and both finished in the top ten. Nibali finished 7:35 behind winner Alberto Contador after three weeks of racing.

    Nibali would be an asset to Belgium's Omega Pharma-Lotto after the surprise departure of Cadel Evans to BMC Racing. Evans has twice finished second at the Tour de France with Mark Sergeant's team, but will leave at the end of this year after announced last month that he had bought out the final year of his contract with the Belgian team.

    Nibali does not have a buy-out clause in his contract with team Liquigas-Doimo.

    "Next year? I have some contacts with other teams," said Nibali. "I would like to race with a foreign team for the first time in my career."

    Nibali turned professional with Italy's Fassa Bortolo in 2005. He race with the team for one year before a switch to Liquigas. He finished 18th in his debut at the Tour de France last year.

    "The team wants to keep its young riders, Nibali and Kreuziger, they are the key to our future," said Amadio.

    Omega Pharma's general manager Sergeant was today unavailable for comment.

    Nibali is the second Liquigas...

  • Back to black for Cervélo TestTeam

    Norwegian Thor Hushovd and German Claudia Häusler model the kit that will be worn by Cervélo TestTeam next season
    Article published:
    December 07, 2009, 16:13 GMT
    By:
    Richard Tyler

    Team unveils new kit for 2010 season

    Cervélo TestTeam will return to a predominantly black kit in 2010 as the team today became one of the first professional squads to unveil its uniform for next season.

    An image of the kit released today sees a representative from each of Cervélo's respective men's and women's teams model the new design. Norwegian Thor Hushovd and German Claudia Häusler have shown off the black, white and red of the team's jersey and shorts.

    "We're really happy with the new design of the kit," said Gerard Vroomen, co-founder of Cervélo. "The Cervélo TestTeam riders are back in black, making it easy to pick them out of the bunch. While Castelli has gone more futuristic in its fabrics, the look is updated with the classic bar across the chest, harking back to the bike industry teams of yesteryear. Finally, the signature 'é' logo on the back really stands out."

    The design is much closer to the kit displayed by Cervélo at the start of their debut season in the peloton this year. The team made a mid-season switch to a predominantly white design prior to this year's Tour de France. The change had been made, in part, to combat the heat of the European summer. The team told Cyclingnews today that no decision had been made on whether a similar mid-season change would be made in 2010.

    The team's clothing sponsor, Castelli, said today that in addition to the altered palette, a number of less obvious adjustments have also been made.

    "We've gone a lot further this season than simply making cosmetic changes," said Castelli Brand Manager Steve Smith. "After one year and almost one million kilometers of testing with Cervélo TestTeam riders under all conditions - from the wind tunnel to racing in every kind of weather - the Castelli Tech Labs have made over 60 refinements to the team's clothing for the 2010 season."
     

  • Milram to use biodegradable water bottles

    Team Milram riders during the 2009 season
    Article published:
    December 07, 2009, 16:37 GMT
    By:
    Susan Westemeyer

    25,000 bottles to help the environment

    Team Milram is doing its share to help the environment. In every race, the riders throw their empty water bottles to the side of the road, and while many are picked up by fans, not all are. Now, instead of polluting the environment, the German team will help it by using biodegradable bottles from its co-sponsor Tacx.

    "We are very excited about this new innovation from Tacx. This is a necessary step in protecting the environment," said Marlies van Gerwen, the team's business manager. "In the past few years, we have received emails from people who got upset about the drink bottles thrown away during races."

    Tacx makes a variety of trainers and bike accessories. It will provide Milram with 25,000 bottles over the season.

    The Bio-Bottle, 100 percent biodegradable, is made of polyethylene with a small amount of a master batch additive which makes the polyethylene biodegradable. The material degrades within one to five years, and turns into a ground food source for microbes with no harmful residues.

    Milram started its efforts last season when it started used environmentally-friendly products from the Swiss company Motorex to clean its bikes and team autos.

  • Jimenez Sanchez provisionally suspended for doping violation

    Eladio Jimenez after winning stage 6
    Article published:
    December 07, 2009, 18:54 GMT
    By:
    Sue George, Mountain Bike Editor

    EPO traces found in Spaniard's A sample from race in Portugal

    The International Cycling Union (UCI) announced on Monday that it had provisionally suspended Eladio Jimenez Sanchez on December 4 for a doping violation. The 33-year-old Spaniard is a member of the Portuguese Continental Centro Cilismo De Loule - Louletano team.

    The decision concerning the Spanish rider was made in response to a report from the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) accredited laboratory in Madrid "indicating an Adverse Analytical Finding of recombinant EPO in a urine sample collected from him during the Volta a Portugal on August 12, 2009". On that day, he won that race's stage 6 from Barcelos to Santo Tirso, and he went on to finish sixth overall.

    The provisional suspension is effective until Jimenez Sanchez attends a hearing panel convened by the Spanish Cycling Federation to determine whether he has committed an anti-doping rule violation under Article 21 of the UCI Anti-Doping Rules.

    The rider may also request and attend the analysis of his B sample.

    The UCI said it is unable to provide additional information at this time per "the World Anti-Doping Code and the UCI Anti-Doping Rules".

    Jimenez Sanchez previously raced for Fercase - Rota dos Móveis in 2008; Karpin Galicia in 2006; Comunidad Valenciana from 2004 to 2006; and Banesto or iBanesto.com from 1998 to 2003.

    Jimenez Sanchez was to race with Rock Racing for the 2010 season, according to biciciclismo.com.

    The Spaniard's career palmares are highlighted by three Vuelta a Espana stage wins in 2000, 2004, and 2005.

  • Honda powers dreams with new women’s squad

    Rochelle Gilmore checks out the Cronulla course ahead of this weekend's race.
    Article published:
    December 08, 2009, 7:18 GMT
    By:
    Cycling News

    Gilmore leads young team through Australian summer

    Rochelle Gilmore will spearhead the Honda Dream Team throughout the Australian summer, with the Japanese car manufacturer increasing its support of local cycling with the new team’s formation. The six-strong team will contest races like this weekend’s Cronulla Grand Prix and Melbourne’s Jayco Bay Series held in January.

    Gilmore will be joined on the squad by fellow professional Tiffany Cromwell, who rode for Colavita-Sutter Home in the United States of America this year.

    “There is a lot of strong competition but we’re confident that we’ve got the right mix of girls to pull it off,” said Gilmore. “We’ve put together a really strong team with a couple of sprinters plus Tiffany Cromwell is going very strong and is always a great worker, but if she got away on her own could win herself.”

    Youngsters Chloe Hosking and Sky-Lee Armstrong will be balanced by the experience of Liz Georgouras and Nimesha Smith on the squad. This weekend’s Cronulla Grand Prix will be the team’s debut race and Gilmore says the priority is ensuring one of the team’s riders takes home the crown.

    “As much as I want to win this race the first priority is for the Honda Dream Team to win in Cronulla, whether it’s me or one of the other members of the team,” she said. “ We’ve all raced together at some point throughout the year, but not necessarily as a complete team, so we’ll take a look at the course today and get together on Saturday to plan how we will race on Sunday.”

    Honda experimented with sponsorship of Australian women’s cycling in October, taking the naming rights title for the Honda Hybrid women’s Tour, run in conjunction with the Jayco Herald Sun Tour.

  • Cronulla Grand Prix catalyst for more Australian racing

    Chris Sutton (Garmin-Slipstream) was relaxed at the launch, held at Cronulla's Summer Sault Restaurant.
    Article published:
    December 08, 2009, 7:54 GMT
    By:
    Les Clarke

    Bates considering women’s World Cup revival

    Cronulla Grand Prix race organiser Phill Bates believes that Sydney's biggest annual criterium could be the catalyst for more racing in Australia's most populous city, Sydney. Speaking at the launch of this year's event, Bates said that a long-overdue criterium series could eventuate, given appropriate levels of support from the right quarters.

    Bates is an experienced race organiser, the man behind the successful Commonwealth Bank Cycle Classic, which attracted the likes of Jan Ullrich and Jens Voigt to Australian shores during the 1990s. The 2009 Cronulla Grand Prix is the fourth edition of the race and this year's lineup boasts the likes of United States of America Criterium Championship race winner Ben Kersten (Fly V Australia), former Australian Open Road Champion Matt Wilson (Team Type 1), Rabobank professional Graeme Brown and Chris Sutton, who will join Team Sky in 2010 after riding for Garmin-Slipstream during the past two seasons.

    Bates explained that government support for the event has been vital. New South Wales Minister for Sport Kevin Green spoke at today's launch and the continued collaboration with state authorities could bear fruit in the future. "I had discussions with [former NSW Premier] Nathan Rees just prior to the end of his term as premier; I've had discussions with Kevin Green, the Minister for Sport and I'm sure those discussions will continue through with [new premier] Kristina Keneally - I think the most important aspect is putting on a series here," said Bates.

    Australia's most populated state has suffered from a love-hate relationship with cycling over recent years - events on the road involving amateur riders has resulted in levels of animosity between motorists and cyclists. Comments from certain government officials hasn't aided this situation at times, although Bates believes that by increasing the number of events such as the Cronulla GP, the sport's profile and reputation can improve amongst the general...