TechPowered By

More tech

First Edition Cycling News, Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Date published:
December 03, 2013, 0:00 GMT
  • Tinkov claims that doping in cycling is over

    Oleg Tinkov at the race village.
    Article published:
    December 02, 2013, 19:30 GMT
    By:
    Barry Ryan

    New owner of Tinkoff-Saxo dismisses Hamilton allegation

    From the moment he playfully grabbed a stony-faced Alberto Contador's shoulders as they entered the room, this was the Oleg Tinkov show. The Russian businessman confirmed his purchase of Riis Cycling at a press conference Google's London offices on Monday, an event that suggested life at the remodelled Tinkoff-Saxo will be many things in 2014, none of them dull.

    During the initial press conference, Tinkov was keen to present himself as the humble boy made good, talking wistfully of the promising amateur career in Sibera cut short by his conscription into the Soviet army. He outlined how Bjarne Riis, in his reconfigured role as general manager, would still have the final say on transfer policy. "I'm not going to demand certain riders. It's up to him, I never insist," said Tinkov, who flashed a presidential candidate's smile when he posed alongside the rather more contained Contador and Riis during the photo call afterwards.

    Speaking to a group of reporters after the live online event had finished, Tinkov was challenged on one of his earlier statements, namely his assertion that "doping is over, cycling has changed." Tapping a message on his mobile phone as he spoke, Tinkov used the jargon of the text message to illustrate his point.

    "It's like IMHO, yeah? In my humble opinion. I can't guarantee it but lately I haven't heard anything. Maybe it happens in the small teams, the junior teams where they think it enhances performance, but in the serious peloton, I never hear anything about that," Tinkov said. "Five years ago, it started to finish. I don't believe right now that there's doping in the peloton. I might be naïve but that's what I think."

    A sword of Damocles dangles over the head of his general manager Bjarne Riis, however, with the Danish Anti-Doping Agency currently compiling a report on

  • Q&A: Ted King on renewing with Cannondale, busy off season

    Peter Sagan (Cannondale) is sheltered by teammate Ted King on the way into Calgary.
    Article published:
    December 02, 2013, 22:05 GMT
    By:
    Pat Malach

    Hopes to earn Tour de France start again in 2014

    American Ted King will ride his fourth season with the Cannondale Pro Cycling team next year in support of leaders like Peter Sagan, Ivan Basso and Moreno Moser. The 30-year-old from New Hampshire is the only US rider on the Italian-based outfit's recently announced 27-man roster.

    The journeyman domestique got his first start at the Tour de France in 2013 but was time cut from the race after losing pace with his team early in the 25km stage 4 team time trial. He had been fighting through injuries suffered after crashing in the chaotic stage 1 finale, but he was outside the time limit by seven seconds on the fourth day and was not allowed to start the next stage.

    King went home and recovered from his injuries in time to help his team bring home eight more wins at the Larry H. Miller Tour of Utah, the USA Pro Challenge, the Tour of Alberta and the Grand Prix Cycliste de Montreal, one of two end-of-the-season WorldTour races in Quebec, Canada. The team grabbed 36 wins in all during 2013, with Sagan responsible for 22. King was present for 15 of those.

    King started his pro career in 2006 with three years at the UCI Continental level before moving to cycling's second division with the Cervelo Test Team for the 2009 and 2010 seasons. He signed with the Liquigas-Cannondale WorldTour team in 2011 and has been with the Italian program ever since. Fellow American and 2012 US Professional road race champion Timmy Duggan was also on the team in 2011 and...

  • Budget Forklifts roster for 2014 announced

    An historic day for Budget Forklifts
    Article published:
    December 02, 2013, 23:35 GMT
    By:
    Cycling News

    Australian continental team adds six new riders

    After cementing themselves as one of the most dominant teams in the Australian National Road Series (NRS) over the last two years, Team Budget Forklifts is set to continue on an upward trajectory with success in the NRS series a season target along with an expanding UCI Asian calendar including the UCI Oceania Tour.

    The addition of six riders will go some way to ensuring the team can meet the expectations that it has set itself for 2014.

    Joining the squad for 2014 is Westley Gough from New Zealand who has impressed on the track including winning a bronze medal the 2012 London Olympic Games in the Teams Pursuit. Two other Kiwis will call Budget Forklifts home in 2014 with Myron Simpson and Dan Barry moving across from Differdange-Losch and Node 4 Giordana respectively. Simpson took out a stage at the 2011 Tour of Murray and like Gough is a talented track cyclist. Barry raced in the UK throughout 2013 and will bring his overseas experience will complement the make-up of the squad.

    Brodie Talbot, formally of Racing Kangaroo’s, will provide gc options for the team having finished third overall at both the Tour of Tasmania and National Capital Tour in the 2013 NRS series. Former Oceania road champion Tommy Nankervis has spent the last few season in the USA and will bring a wealth of knowledge and experience to the younger side of the team.

    The six signing is Sam Witmitz who rode with the team throughout 2012 before moving across to the UK where we rode with Raleigh and returns to Australia eager to pick up where he left off.

    Budget Forklifts will lose Jack Anderson who moves across to Drapac having been with the team since 2009 but with six new riders on the books, they will have greater strength in depth for the 2014 season.

    As well as the addition of new riders, Budget Forklifts will add Tineli Clothing and Subaru Toowong as...

  • Nairo Quintana named Colombian athlete of the year

    Nairo Quintana with his award
    Article published:
    December 03, 2013, 1:18 GMT
    By:
    Cycling News

    Rewarded for second place at 100th Tour de France

    Nairo Quintana has been named the Colombian sportsman of the year by Bogota newspaper El Espectador. The prize, in its 53rd year, was held at the JW Marriott Hotel in Bogota with triple jump athlete Caterine Ibargüen snaring the sportswoman of the year award. This was the first time separate categories for men and women were awarded.

    It was thanks to his podium places at the Tour of the Basque Country, Vuelta a Burgos and second place at the Tour de France, which included winning both the young rider and mountain classifications, that the Movistar rider received the top prize.

    The Colombian climber’s big smile was on show at the award ceremony who said he was very happy to win the title and thanked all the Colombian fans who supported him throughout the season, reported El Espectador.

    While in Bogota, Quintana took place in the 30km Citycleta Movistar which is intended to encourage people to use bicycles for transport and promote opportunities for family entertainment. Over 3000 participants took place in the ride which was led by the Colombian through the streets of Colombia’s capital.

  • Timmy Duggan retires from pro cycling

    Timmy Duggan (Liquigas-Cannondale) arrives on the podium.
    Article published:
    December 03, 2013, 7:43 GMT
    By:
    José Been

    American looks forward to new goals outside the sport

    Timmy Duggan has announced his retirement from pro cycling. The American rider revealed his reasons via his personal website.

    "After a roller-coaster of thoughts and emotions in recent months, I have decided to retire from professional cycling. I am ready and truly excited to move on to my next goals in life outside of the sport," he writes on his website.

    The 31-year old rider was part of Saxo -Tinkoff this season after the Team Spidertech folded. The Boulder resident previously rode with Liquigas and Garmin. Cannondale was interested in signing Duggan again but because of the teams negotiations with Oleg Tinkov, which ultimately failed to reach a conclusion with Tinkov opting to buy the Saxo Bank team from Bjarne Riis, Duggan's agreement took a while to materialize.

    "During that period, I was able to spend more time with my wife, family, friends, and community than I have in my whole career. I really thought about and felt my life outside of cycling more than I ever have. I felt alive again. It has become clear how important some other things are to me and how much I’m missing," Duggan writes.

    Duggan started as a pro in 2005 with the TIAA-CREF development team that later became Garmin. He stayed with Jonathan Vaughters until 2011 when he signed a two-year deal with Liquigas. His biggest career victory came in 2012 when he won the American road race championships beating Frank Pipp and Kiel Reijnen.

    But his reign as national champion was difficult for Duggan after a crash in the third stage of the Tour Down Under resulted in a broken leg and a long recovery period, cutting his season to only 57 race days.

    "The 2013 season was probably the most difficult of my career, dealing...

  • Evans to lead BMC at the Tour Down Under

    Cadel Evans (BMC) takes the win on stage 4 of the Tour of Alberta
    Article published:
    December 03, 2013, 8:19 GMT
    By:
    José Been

    Australia returns home for 2014 season debut

    The BMC Racing Team has confirmed it will send a strong team to the Tour Down Under with former Tour de France winner Cadel Evans as captain. New signings Rick Zabel and Ben Hermans will make their debut for the team in the first WorldTour race of the 2014 season that begins on January 21 in Adelaide. 

    Evans was announced as the captain of the team which also includes the USA's Brent Bookwalter, Amaël Moinard from France, Zabel, Hermans and the two Swiss riders Steve Morabito and Danilo Wyss. 

    Sports director Fabio Baldato thinks Evans has a good chance to get BMC a result early on in the season.

    "The Tour Down Under is a pretty difficult race to start the season with. Stages 1, 2 and 3 are hard so it's important to start well," the Italian said in the statement from the BMC team announcing its Tour Down Under line-up. “It’s important to have a strong rider who is prepared for the race. In Cadel, we have the best rider to make a result.”

    Evans hasn't raced the Tour Down Under since 2010, when he finished sixth in the overall classification as reigning world champion. 

    "I haven't been able to race there since 2010 because I've always been working toward the Tour de France," Evans explained in October.

    "But with me going for the Giro, it gives me the opportunity to race in Australia at the race which has become the real season start and the meeting point for the world of cycling at the beginning of the year. So it will be something special, especially racing in front of a home crowd."

    The Santos Tour Down Under starts on the 21st of January in Nuriootpa and finishes in Adelaide on the 27th. Richie Porte (Team Sky),

  • Porte: I need to ride in a team where I'll be the leader

    Richie Porte (Sky) finished second to teammate Chris Froome on the Tour's first day in the Pyrenees
    Article published:
    December 03, 2013, 11:26 GMT
    By:
    Barry Ryan

    Australian to leave Sky after 2015?

    Richie Porte has indicated that he will have to leave Team Sky at the end of his current contract in order to fulfill his own personal ambitions in three-week Grand Tours.

    The Australian has two years remaining on his existing deal with the British team but said that the presence of Chris Froome at Team Sky means that he is likely to go elsewhere in 2016. Porte signed a two-year contract extension in May of this year, meaning that his current deal does not expire until the end of the 2015 season.

    "As much as I love being there and being the wingman, it's not what I always want to do," Porte told The Herald Sun before travelling to Europe for the team's training camp in Mallorca.

    "I've shown by winning Paris-Nice and coming second in the Dauphiné and Basque, they're pretty big races in the sport. I think the next move for me is two more years at Sky, but then I really think I need to get out and ride in a team where I'll be the leader."

    Porte joined Team Sky from Saxo Bank at the beginning of 2012, and played an important part in helping Bradley Wiggins and Chris Froome win the past two Tours de France. The 28-year-old was handed the reins of leadership for Paris-Nice in 2013, where he claimed overall honours, and at the Tour of the Basque Country, where he finished second behind Nairo Quintana (Movistar).

    For most of 2013 Porte was relegated to a role in support of Froome, finishing second behind his teammate at Critérium International and the Critérium du Dauphiné. However, Porte said that Froome’s status as Team Sky's leader is not open to debate, particularly given that he races...

  • Report: Sojasun to sponsor Cannondale in 2014

    Peter Sagan (Cannondale) pulls his wheelie for the fans
    Article published:
    December 03, 2013, 11:33 GMT
    By:
    Cycling News

    L’Equipe says French soya brand will become major sponsor

    Despite ending its title sponsorship of Stéphane Heulot’s Professional Continental team, French soya food producer Sojasun looks set to remain in the peloton in 2014 as an important sponsor of the Cannondale WorldTour team.

    According to a report on the L’Equipe website, a final agreement could be reached this week. As part of the agreement, Heulot will join Cannondale as a team manager, along with rider Jean-Marc Marino and several other members of staff. L’Equipe suggests that the sponsorship could also lead to the creation of a development team, which may become obligatory for every WorldTour team in 2015.

    Now directly owned by the Cannondale company but managed by Italian Roberto Amadio, the team has been searching for a second sponsor after talks with Oleg Tinkov fell through at the end of the season. The Cannondale team currently has 27 riders under contract and so could increase its roster thanks to the extra funding provided by Sojasun. This would allow it to bolster the squad build around Peter Sagan, Ivan Basso, Moreno Moser and Elia Viviani.

    When contacted by Cyclingnews, the team refused to comment on the report that Sojasun could come on board as a title sponsor but confirmed it is actively looking for further sponsorship for 2014 and beyond.

    Cannondale is hoping to convince Sagan to stay with the team in 2015. Sagan’s contract ends in 2014 and the Slovakian Classics rider and sprinter is already being courted by Fernando Alonso and several other major teams.

    The team is currently holding a training camp in Tuscany, with some riders also working on the track in Brescia to improve their time trial positions.