TechPowered By

More tech

First Edition Cycling News, Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Date published:
August 27, 2013, 1:00 BST
  • Bennett to remain in WorldTour for 2014

    Hayden Roulston edges teammate George Bennett to win the 2013 New Zealand road national championships in Christchurch
    Article published:
    August 27, 2013, 1:12 BST
    By:
    Peter Hymas

    Kiwi's stock buoyed by results in Utah, Colorado

    While second-year RadioShack Leopard professional George Bennett won't be a part of his current team's new iteration, Trek, in 2014, the 23-year-old Kiwi told Cyclingnews that he definitely will have a roster spot on a WorldTour squad next year.

    "I'll be somewhere in the WorldTour, just where yet I'm not sure," Bennett told Cyclingnews in Denver, Colorado, at the conclusion of the USA Pro Challenge. "I'll know in the next week.

    "I had a really bad spring and Giro and that sort of set me back a bit. Now teams see I'm healthy again so I'm talking with my manager and we're talking to a few teams.

    "There are teams here that can see me race and my team's been really good. The guys know I needed a result in the last two weeks and have all looked after me well."

    Bennett started his pro career in 2011 with the Trek-Livestrong development team, and was called up to Team RadioShack as a trainee for the latter part of the season. His first two races with RadioShack were the Tour of Utah and the USA Pro Challenge, and along with solid results earlier in that year, victory at the Tour of Wellington and 2nd overall at the Ronde de l'Isard, Bennett was called up to RadioShack for 2012.

    Bennett rode his first Grand Tour in 2013, the Giro d'Italia, and has worked as a domestique for teammate Robert Kiserlovski in the Giro and Tour de Romandie.

    Bennett has shown good form of late, first at the Tour of Utah and then in Colorado at the USA Pro Challenge, which ended Sunday. The New Zealander placed 11th overall in Utah, including a 4th place result on the summit finish of the queen stage to Snowbird,...

  • Exclusive: Top teams threaten to pull out of Goulburn to Sydney

    On the early parts of the Hume Highway.
    Article published:
    August 27, 2013, 1:48 BST
    By:
    Jane Aubrey & Jono Lovelock

    Stalemate over demands for rolling road closures

    One of Australia's oldest cycling events is under threat following team protests over rider safety. Following a tumultuous period of racing and rider safety at races within the state of New South Wales, loggerheads have been reached with five of the top teams due to participate in this year's Paradice Investment Goulburn to Sydney Classic all agreeing to boycott the event if safety standards are not met.

    Cyclingnews can confirm that a letter has been sent by Australian UCI Continental teams Drapac Professional Cycling, Budget Forklifts and Huon Salmon-Genesys Wealth Advisers, along with top domestic outfits search2retain p/b health.com.au and Euride Racing stating their position that unless full rolling road closures are enforced for the September 15 race, they will not attend.

    The Goulburn to Sydney one-day road race has traditionally started out with the first 80 kilometres of racing taking part on the Hume Highway, the major piece of road running along the east coast between Sydney and Melbourne. Repeatedly this has met with complaints from team managers over rider safety. The safety measures put in place consists of closing the left-hand lane for participants to race in whilst traffic passes on the right-hand side at normal speeds of up to 110 kilometres per hour.

    The New South Wales Police have worked hard to maintain the continuation of the Goulburn, and their intentions are not being questioned by teams. It's simply put that the current arrangement leaves no buffer zone allowing for riders to move sideways following any incident in the bunch. Teams are calling for a greater margin for error when error occurs. Tim Decker, Euride racing director and new Australian track endurance coach...

  • Hagens Berman adds U23 team

    Team Hagens Berman LLP signs in.
    Article published:
    August 27, 2013, 2:49 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    US squad to act as bridge between amateur, professional squads

    The up-and-coming riders of the USA will have another development program in 2014, when Hagens Berman launches its U23 development team.

    The squad will be a bridge between the Pacific Northwest amateur program and the Jamis-Hagens Berman professional team, and will be managed by Seattle-based Herriott Sports Performance (HSP), led by Todd Herriott and David RIchter.

    Herriott told Cyclingnews that he expects to finalize the team's roster by the end of the month, but he could confirm that Colby Waite-Molyneux, winner of the Washington State time trial championships, would move up from the amateur team.

    The Hagens Berman U23 Development Program will include two junior riders and 10 U23 riders from the US, and will take on a full calendar of races across the country, in addition to working in conjunction with the USA National Team to provide riders with the opportunity to compete in Europe.

    “This is a natural step for Hagens Berman to support up-and-coming young talent in their pursuit to compete at the highest levels of the sport and develop the skills necessary to succeed on and off the bike,” said Steve Berman, managing partner of Hagens Berman.

    Hagens Berman-sponsored teams have already achieved success at the local, regional and national level. Most notably, Jamis-Hagens Berman rider Janier Acevedo’s recent third place finish and yellow jersey run at the 2013 Amgen Tour of California and stage win at the USA Pro Challenge.

    For more information, visit www.hbdevocycling.com.

  • Trek keeps classics combination together in 2014

    Stijn Devolder (RadioShack Leopard)
    Article published:
    August 27, 2013, 6:37 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    More signings for new team

    The Trek WorldTour team has announced that Stijn Devolder, veteran Yaroslav Popovych, Kiwi pair Jesse Sergent and Hayden Roulston, along with Gregory Rast will all ride for the team in 2014.

    Trek is set to take over the licence currently held by RadioShack Leopard at the end of the season. The team has already announced the signings of Andy and Fränk Schleck, Fabian Cancellara, Jens Voigt, and Fumiyuki Beppu. Cyclingnews previously reported the agreements of Haimar Zubeldia who signed on for two years while fellow Spaniard Markel Irizar penned a deal for the next three years.

    Team director Dirk Dirk Demol said it's about keeping a successful combination together.

    "This group of riders has been essential to Fabian's success in 2012 and especially 2013," he explained. "Their dedication to him was beyond belief. Fabian's name is the one on the roll of honor of the great classic races that we all love, but these support riders were all ready to sacrifice themselves to the team's interest. They are warriors, true unsung heroes. I am delighted and proud that we are able to keep this group together. From here on we keep on working hard, toward many more successes."

    Cancellara of course, had a phenomenal spring, winning E3 Harelbeke, The Tour of Flanders and Paris-Roubaix.

    Devolder, who experienced a resurgence this season, was keen to continue working with Demol.

    "It was not a difficult decision to stay with the team. Luca...

  • Shimano issues disc brake recall

    Shimano has just issued a recall of three mechanical disc brakes, including the top-end BR-CX75 model.
    Article published:
    August 27, 2013, 9:31 BST
    By:
    James Huang

    Potential safety issue with products

    Shimano today announced a voluntary recall of three of its most popular cable actuated road disc brakes: the BR-CX75, the BR-R515, and the BR-R315. Although Shimano says no injuries have been reported, a press release cites "a potential safety issue with respect to our mechanical disc brake calipers for road racing bikes which are sold after February 2012."

    Currently the official recall has only been announced in Europe but the company is working with the CPSC for a similar release in the United States.

    Shimano refrained from specifying the exact defect but the replacement BR-CX77, BR-R517, and BR-R317 calipers all feature notably beefed-up actuator arm assemblies.

    "What I can say for now is that it is more of a glitch in terms of how the brakes are adjusted that can then cause an issue and also no one was injured," said Shimano American Corporation PR agent Eric Doyne. "This isn't as bad as one may think."

    Affected North American consumers are advised to immediately bring the recalled calipers to an authorized Shimano retail for an inspection and replacement. Further information can be found by calling 1-800-353-4719 in the US or 1-877-377-5211 in Canada.

    Country-specific guidelines for European and UK consumers are available through Shimano's web site.


     

  • Marque to Movistar in 2014

    Alejandro Marque (OFM-Quinta Da Lixa)
    Article published:
    August 27, 2013, 10:26 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    Tour of Portugal winner makes WorldTour debut at 31

    Alex Marque, who won this year's Tour of Portugal, will make his debut in the top ranks of pro cycling next year with Movistar. The Spanish WorldTour team announced that it has signed the Spanish rider for the coming season.

    Marque, 31, has spent his entire ten-year career with Continental-ranked Portuguese teams, and is now with OFM - Quinta da Lixa. In 2012 he won the opening stage of the Vuelta a Asturias in a long solo breakaway. This year he was third in the Spanish national time trial championship.

    At this year's race in Portugal, he had three top ten finishes and went into the penultimate stage time trial in fourth place, only 38 seconds down. He won that stage to take the overall lead, which he easily retained in the closing stage.

    He has been “a renowned time triallist since becoming a pro, yet excelled in the last few seasons as an all-rounder capable to get over the big mountains when in his best form, the Movistar press release said. “His proven ability as a rouleur (...) will make him become a crucial piece for Movistar Team as the Pontevedra-based rider debuts in the elite calendar.”

  • Becca limits RadioShack racing schedule

    Team owner Flavio Becca with Fabian Cancellara
    Article published:
    August 27, 2013, 11:07 BST
    By:
    José Been

    Unwilling to pay for races outside of WorldTour

    Flavio Becca, the owner of RadioShack-Leopard, will only pay for RadioShack-Leopard’s WorldTour races for the remainder of 2013.

    “We have to keep doing the WorldTour races,“ press officer Tim Vanderjeugd told Nieuwsblad. “If we don’t we’ll lose our license.” For riders like Stijn Devolder, Jan Bakelants and Maxime Monfort this has implications.

    The fact Becca won’t pay for races other than the necessary ones means RadioShack-Leopard will only compete in the GP Plouay, GP Québec, GP Montréal, Il Lombardia and the Tour of Beijing. For the other races like Paris-Brussels, Paris-Tours and the Tour of Britain, RadioShack-Leopard won’t send a team.

    “It’s all down to money,” Vanderjeugd told Nieuwsblad. “Not riding the WorldTour races is not an option because it’ll mean we’ll lose the license.”

    This isn’t the first time Becca has failed to meet his financial obligations. Johan Bruyneel paid for the team’s salaries when Becca couldn’t in March 2012. The Belgian manager confirmed to Cyclingnews that he still hasn’t been fully repaid the 1,5 million Euro loan, even though a court has ordered Becca to do so.

    Becca started the team back in 2011 with his own money and hoped to secure a sponsor for his squad with both Schleck brothers and Fabian Cancellara. He failed to do so and a merger with RadioShack became necessary. This year he sold his WorldTour license to Trek.

    For some riders the fact they won’t be able to ride any other races than those on WorldTour level has serious implications. For Stijn Devolder, who was announced as a new Trek signing yesterday, it means his season will end much sooner than expected.

    “Because I fell ill in Eneco Tour I was planning to try and get...

  • Patience key for Nibali’s Vuelta bid

    Vincenzo Nibali (Astana) lost the race lead
    Article published:
    August 27, 2013, 12:35 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    Horner leads with Italian in second

    With so many up-hill finishes at this year’s Vuelta a Espana, Astana’s Alexander Shefer certainly isn’t worried by the fact that Vincenzo Nibali lost the leader’s jersey on stage 3.

    Chris Horner (RadioShack) romped away to the win at Mirador de Lobeira and now leads the Italian by 3 seconds in the overall classification.

    However with so many mountain stages still to come, and a thoroughly demanding final week, Shefer believes that temporarily relinquishing the jersey should play out in the long run.

    "In the first day at the team time trial we won the stage but not the Vuelta. Likewise today we lost the jersey but not the whole race. There are three weeks of competition ahead of the entire peloton, and it will not be easy for any one team to defend day in and day out," he said.

    Astana kept Nibali and his red jersey out of trouble on stage three.

    "The winds today were strong, but always from the same direction. When we came to the final climb it was a tailwind for the riders, and that kept the pace very high. Horner made a strong move in the last 2k and Vincenzo did well to keep close at the finish."

    "There are 13 mountain stages in this Vuelta, and it will take strong legs and a smart head to climb them. We are not disappointed to let go of the red jersey today, and we look forward to the rest of the Vuelta to try and take it back," Shefer said.