TechPowered By

More tech

First Edition Cycling News, Thursday, September 20, 2012

Date published:
September 20, 2012, 1:00 BST
  • Qatar awarded 2016 UCI Road World Championships

    The GreenEdge-AIS and Specialized - lululemon riders kept control at the front of the bunch on the very fast return to Doha
    Article published:
    September 19, 2012, 19:25 BST
    By:
    Daniel Benson

    2014 Road Worlds could be withdrawn from Ponferrada

    Qatar has been awarded the 2016 UCI Road World Championships, it was announced Wednesday. Cyclingnews first revealed in August that the bid was on track, with this year’s Worlds in Valkenburg named as the location for the Qatar announcement.  No dates have yet been announced.

    At the London Olympic Games a source close to the UCI told Cyclingnews that Qatar was the only bid left in the race and that the Qatari delegation pressed for an exclusive agreement that would rule out any competition.

    "There is no other candidate for 2016, only Qatar," the source said. "Qatar and the UCI agreed to secure an exclusive application. The date might be delayed to avoid the heat but it's moving ahead."

    Today's announcement broke when the Qatar Olympic Committee Tweeted, "The #Qatar #WRCC2016 announcement came in the final day of the Board of Directors Session of @UCI_cycling Union in #Limburg".

    The UCI later sent out a press release with the UCI Sport and Technical Director Philippe Chevallier saying: "The management of the Qatar candidature presented an extremely interesting project which incorporated innovative solutions which allowed for the designing of a technically interesting course , we are greatly looking forward to working with them."

    2016 will be the first time the road Worlds are held in the Middle East.

    However, doubts remain over the 2014 Worlds. The UCI statement read, "Concerning the UCI Road World Championships 2014, the Management Committee decided to grant the organizers of the Ponferrada (ESP) event 30 days to meet contractual commitments, after which time if these had not been met the event would be withdrawn from them."

  • Contador has lacklustre Worlds time trial

    Alberto Contador (Spain)
    Article published:
    September 19, 2012, 20:00 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    Spaniard upset after hearing of Cabedo's death

    Ninth at two minutes and 30 seconds down on Tony Martin was not the result that Alberto Contador wanted to get at the UCI Time Trial World Championships on Wednesday, but the Spaniard put a brave face on it at the finish line.

    Just moments after finishing, he was shaken up upon hearing that Euskaltel-Euskadi second year pro Victor Cabedo had been killed in a traffic accident. Contador, nonetheless, managed to discuss his below-expectations performance, which he put down to a bad day.

    "Ninth is ok, but I'd have liked to have finished a bit higher," the Spanish rider said, "when I came here, my idea was to fight for the medals."

    "I wasn't feeling good from the start, I noticed that in seven or eight kilometres, my legs weren't going well and I couldn't get really focussed."

    "Then when Tony Martin went past me, that was tough to handle. I knew he was on for a winning time, I tried to keep close to him but it was impossible. He was turning a massive gear, it was a false flat, and he was still heading away from me."

    "I just tried to keep him at a reasonable distance and finish ok because I knew that a medal was not a possibility."

    He said that tiredness after racing such a tough Vuelta a Espana could have had an effect as it maybe did when he did the Giro d'Italia in 2011 followed by the Tour de France, where, prior to losing the title because of his doping suspension, he finished first and fifth respectively in those two races. Contador's form was clearly not at 100 percent as he would have liked.

    "My form's incognito at the moment. I maybe lost time by taking things more carefully on the corners, but you don't lose that kind of time just...

  • Kessiakoff mixes with TT specialists at Valkenburg Worlds

    Fredrik Carl Wilhelm Kessiakoff (Sweden)
    Article published:
    September 19, 2012, 21:00 BST
    By:
    Daniel Benson

    Fifth place for Swede

    Despite time trial wins at the Tour de Suisse and the Vuelta a Espana, Fredrik Kessiakoff (Sweden) arrived at this year's time trial Worlds as an outsider for the podium. However the former mountain biker was able to mix it with the pure time trial specialists over the 45.7-kilometre course, taking fifth place on the line.

    "I'm happy. I came here saying that top 10 would be my goal. It's my first Worlds time trial. It's a bit different than being at the Vuelta or Switzerland as everyone is very focused and there's no excuse," Kessiakoff said at the finish.

    Kessiakoff set off fourth last, sandwiched between two of the sport's most accomplished riders against the clock, Marco Pinotti (Italy) and Taylor Phinney (United States), and when he posted the 19th best time at the first check, he appeared somewhat out of his depth.

    However, as the parcours changed and the climbs became a factor, Kessiakoff was able to demonstrate his form, zipping through the next two time checks in ninth and sixth. The final ascent, the Caugberg, almost saw a blisteringly quick Phinney catch the Swede, but Kessiakoff was able to hang on and even move up a place to fifth.

    "The fact that Tony Martin was the winner doesn't surprise me at all, and I find him a very worthy winner. In the end I'm very happy with my fifth place.

    Asked if he was shocked or surprised to be 19th after 14.3 kilometres, Kessiakoff said, "I just kept on fighting and I knew that the second half of the course suited me better so I kept on working and fighting and then I started getting reports that I was climbing up the results. I'm really happy with fifth."

    "I don't see myself as a specialist. Time trialing is just something that I can do when I'm in shape. I can suffer and focus a lot and that's what gives me the capability to ride strongly in the time trial. On the right type of course, I can do really well but on day like today there are still the specialists who can...

  • Crash ends Pinotti's medal hopes at Worlds time trial

    An unhappy Marco Pinotti (Italy) after his crash
    Article published:
    September 19, 2012, 22:13 BST
    By:
    Barry Ryan

    Italian in contention for bronze but suffers collarbone injury

    One of the more analytical riders in the contemporary peloton, Marco Pinotti had clear ideas about his approach on the eve of the world championships time trial in Valkenburg. The key to the 45.7km course, he reckoned, would be to hold something in reserve for the finale and, in particular, the haul up the Cauberg just before the finish.

    Unfortunately for the Italian, with 13 kilometres to go and just as it seemed that his theory was about to be borne out in the white heat of competition, his wheels slid from under him on a greasy turn and he fell heavily on his left side.

    Although Pinotti remounted and gingerly began pedalling again, it soon became apparent that his afternoon was over as he had sustained a significant blow to his left collarbone. Paolo Bettini pulled alongside him in the team car and after a short, freewheeling conference, Pinotti wheeled to a halt at the side of the road and the door yawned open.

    Faced with the disappointment of his rider, who was quietly confident of a podium finish after placing fifth at the Olympic Games, Bettini could do little other than cradle his head and look to muster what words of consolation he could. Shortly afterwards, Pinotti sat into the car and was driven to hospital with a suspected fractured collarbone.

    "When he fell, Marco was only four seconds behind Vasil Kiryienka," Bettini said later to Tuttobici. "We had planned the race so that Marco would go hard in the second part of the course, which was the part that suited him best. I'm disappointed for him above all because today really could have been his day. Third place was within his reach."

    After a slow start, Pinotti came through the 14.1km point in 11th place, over...

  • Durbridge left disappointed after off day in ITT

    Luke Durbridge (Australia)
    Article published:
    September 20, 2012, 0:12 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    Meyer satisfied with 16th

    There was disappointment for Australia’s Luke Durbridge and Cameron Meyer in the elite men’s individual time trial on Wednesday with the pair finishing 21st and 16th respectively.

    Germany’s Tony Martin successfully defended his 2011 title in a time of 0:58:38.80.

    Durbridge and Meyer were both competing at the elite level in the event for the first time, with Durbridge gold medallist last year in the under 23 category having finished with a silver medal in 2010. He had also won the junior men’s title in 2009. The 21-year-old however, was on a bad day from the outset. Durbridge’s radio stopped working, but he said afterwards that he doubts it made much of a difference.

    "I didn't really know what corners to take fast and not to take fast, but it doesn't really matter," he said. "You just try and stay calm and push towards the line but once you're at 15 to 20 kilometres in and you see '30 to go' and you've got nothing left it's not really a good feeling.

    "It's been a while since I've gone out there and not been going in a time trial," Durbridge explained having had four individual time trial wins to his name this season - although none as long as Wednesday’s 45.7km effort. "[I'm] disappointed and obviously it's not the way you want to finish. I was expecting a lot more of myself [but] that's the way it is. I'll reassess, keep working hard and come back next year."

    Leaving the start house earlier in wet conditions, Meyer admitted this was an additional challenge to an already tough course.

    "You didn't see any 49 - 50 kilometre averages, the winners like Tony Martin were only in the 46's and a lot of us down in the 44 kilometre an hour averages which is...

  • Langkawi winner Serpa joins Lampre - ISD

    Two good: Jose Serpa (Androni Giocattoli) wins the tour again and can now look ahead to an assault on the Giro d'Italia in May.
    Article published:
    September 20, 2012, 1:20 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    Colombian leaves team run by Gianni Savio after seven years

    José Serpa will change teams in 2013, leaving his current Androni Giocattoli - Venezuela team to join Lampre-ISD, according to L'Equipe. It will be the first time the Colombian has moved since turning professional seven years ago. Serpa signed for the Selle Italia - Serramenti Diquigiovanni team run by Gianni Savio back in 2006 and has remained with the various incarnations ever since.

    The 33-year-old will ride alongside last year’s Giro d’Italia winner - following Alberto Contador’s stripped title - Michele Scarponi. Serpa has enjoyed a mixed season this year. He won two stages on his way to a second overall victory at Tour de Langkawi in early March before heading to the Giro with ambitions to finish high on the general classification.

    A fall early in the race ended his top-10 hopes however, he was still able to finish the race, albeit down in 87th by the time the race reached Milan. Serpa will no doubt play a pivotal role next year in assisting his new teammate Scarponi to really win a second Giro.

    "I’m very happy, I have reached the pinnacle of world cycling. I had already worked with Scarponi and he wanted to integrate me onto his squad. Things turned out to be on this team. The aspiration of every cyclist is to join the best team in the world. I have always tried to do the best things and this is an achievement in my career," he told

  • Changes for New Zealand team for men's road races

    Jack Bauer (Garmin-Barracuda) during Paris-Roubaix
    Article published:
    September 20, 2012, 2:32 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    Jack Bauer and Tom David withdraw

    Jack Bauer has been forced to withdraw from the New Zealand team for Sunday's elite men's road race at the UCI Road World Championships in Limburg.

    Bauer, 27, took his place for Garmin-Sharp in the team time trial on the opening day of competition earlier this week however, the experience was enough to tell him that he was not quite in the form he needed to be.

    "After the TTT I simply decided to withdraw myself because of fatigue," he told roadcycling.co.nz. "I have been struggling to find form since the Olympics and have decided I'm not where I need to be to help the team.

    "I don't want to be there just making up numbers on Sunday."

    Jesse Sergent and George Bennett were listed as reserves when the team was announced. New Zealand's other competitors are Hayden Roulston and Julian Dean.

    Meantime James Oram will compete in the New Zealand under 23 team following Tom David's withdrawal due to a medical issue.

     

  • Col du Galibier summit finish confirmed for 2013 Giro d'Italia

    The summit of the Col du Galibier will feature prominently in the 2013 Giro d'Italia.
    Article published:
    September 20, 2012, 3:28 BST
    By:
    Peter Hymas

    Acquarone comments on potential for Giro start in the USA

    Speaking at a press conference at Las Vegas, Nevada's Interbike trade show, Giro d'Italia director Michele Acquarone confirmed today that the Col du Galibier climb in the French Alps will make it's debut in the 2013 edition of the Italian Grand Tour with a summit finish. Two years after the Col du Galibier hosted its first-ever summit finish in the 2011 Tour de France, history will be made yet again in stage 15 of the 2013 Giro d'Italia with the first-ever summit finish from the north side, climbing to the 2,642 metre summit from Valloire, the opposite side from Andy Schleck's winning performance in the Tour.

    Stage number 15 of the ‘Corsa Rosa’, taking place May 19, 2013, will start from Cesana Torinese and take riders towards Susa where the Colle del Moncenisio climb will begin, then downhill towards the Val D’Arc. At Saint Michel de Maurienne the race will climb the Col du Télégraphe and then, from Valloire, the last 18km will head upwards towards the summit of the Col du Galibier to complete the 150km stage.

    "It is the first time the Giro will go to that famous mountain and we are really happy to introduce it into the history of the Giro d'Italia," said Acquarone.

    Four kilometres from the summit the stage will pass a monument to Marco Pantani, the 1998 Tour de France winner. The monument marks the place where Pantani attacked to seal his overall victory that year in the French Grand Tour.

    "For us it's very important because in 1998 a man called Marco Pantani was winning his Tour de France and did something very, very special on that mountain," said Acquarone. "We are very happy that 15 years later we are on the same mountain and will have a big finish for the Giro d'Italia."

    The complete route for the 2013 Giro d'Italia will be unveiled on less than two weeks' time on September 30, 2012 but...