TechPowered By

More tech

First Edition Cycling News, Sunday, October 14, 2012

Date published:
October 14, 2012, 1:00 BST
  • Julian Dean denies knowledge of U.S. Postal doping culture

    Kiwi Julian Dean expected to figure in the results of a bunch sprint.
    Article published:
    October 13, 2012, 23:36 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    Kiwi unconcerned by what people might think of him

    Julian Dean, who rode on U.S. Postal Service between 1999 and 2001, says that he was unaware of what the USADA report labels "the most sophisticated, professionalised and successful doping programme that sport has ever seen."

    In an interview with Fairfax NZ News, the Orica-GreenEdge rider believes that his own objectives as a sprinter and because he was not at that stage a Tour de France rider, may have had a role to play.

    "I didn't really fit into that, they had a very directed team for the Tour de France and put a lot of energy into those guys," he said.

    "Because I was a sprinter I would do things like the Vuelta or some of the other bigger stage races over the years, without being considered for the Tour because there wasn't much I could contribute."

    Dean explained that he never received orders to dope nor was he witness to the activities so detailed in the dossier.

    "It was not something that I ever came across," the 37-year-old said.

    Overnight Dean’s sports director at Orica - GreenEdge, Matt White, stood down from his role within the Australian-registered team after admitting to doping while with the tainted American outfit.

    "I am sad to say that I was part of a team where doping formed part of the team's strategy, and I too was involved in that strategy," White said. "My involvement is something I am not proud of and I sincerely apologise to my fans, media, family and friends who trusted me and also to other athletes in my era that consciously chose not to dope."

    Dean said that he was unconcerned by his own history with the U.S. Postal team, adamant that he did...

  • Persistence, goodwill leads Donnelly to huge result in Warrnambool

    The 2012 Melbourne to Warrnambool podium: Aaron Donnelly (Aussie Farmers Direct), Floris Goesinnen (Drapac) and Bradeley Hall (Plan B Racing)
    Article published:
    October 14, 2012, 2:06 BST
    By:
    Jane Aubrey

    Crash 10 kilometres in nearly ended 21-year-old's race

    Aaron Donnelly’s second place in the 262 kilometre Melbourne to Warrnambool was one hell of a result. The 21-year-old finished behind winner Floris Goesinnen (Drapac), the pair escaping in a two-man breakaway with around 40km left to race.

    Riding for the composite team Aussie Farmers Direct, Donnelly had done the majority of the work with the pair remarkably hanging on despite a fast-finishing chase group.

    "About 15km to go we were given two minutes and then I was pretty confident we could stay away but then it came back to 1:30 really quickly so I was starting to get a bit nervous," he told Cyclingnews. "At three or four kilometres to go I knew we had it."

    The Melbourne to Warrnambool was Donnelly’s first race over 200 kilometres, but for a number of reasons, he was lucky to see his debut through.

    "I was tangled in a crash around 10km in so I was off the back in a group of about 30 riders and we chased for about 80kms," he explained. "I came pretty close to getting off the bike but we finally caught the bunch and I just tried to rest and recover as much as I could and then with about 50km to go all the attacks started happening."

    Given his lack of experience in this level of racing, Donnelly didn’t have that much to go off other than other people’s belief in him. He had finished in the lead bunch at last month’s Goulburn to Sydney and won the sprint classification and also finished third overall at the Tour of Murray River.

    "A lot of people told me that this race would suit me," Donnelly revealed. "I didn’t have the best preparation coming in but I still had a bit of confidence because I had people telling me it should suit me."

    Illness had robbed him of the chance to compete at the Tour of Tasmania with his recovery slow. Realising his name was not on the start list for the Melbourne...

  • Turtur: Caruso positive in 2003 was not his responsibity to publicise

    Giampaolo Caruso (ONCE) wins the stage into Willunga
    Article published:
    October 14, 2012, 4:03 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    Race organisers excluded in anti-doping process

    Tour Down Under race director Mike Turtur does not believe it was up to the organisation to publicise the fact that ONCE-Eroski rider Giampaolo Caruso returned a positive dope test after winning the Willunga Hill stage in 2003.

    Caruso tested positive for Nandralone on January 25 and later that year received a six-month suspension and a $2000 fine. He would later be named as part of Operación Puerto but despite Italian Olympic Committee protests, was acquitted by the Court of Arbitration for Sport. He currently rides for Katusha.

    Turtur, also Oceania Cycling Confederation president, has told Adelaide's Sunday Mail, that it was not his responsibility to reveal Caruso's transgression.

    "It would have been published on the (International Cycling Union's) UCI website that he was found to be in violation of the code and that's how it's dealt with," Turtur said.

    "Race organisers don't go around publicising or advertising or making a point of any doping infringements because it's not their job or their responsibility.

    "The organisers manage the race, the UCI manage the sport."

    Race officials stripped Caruso of his prize money, with second-place-getter Stefen Wesemann (Telekom) the beneficiary.

    Turtur has come under fire for not backing away from his support of Lance Armstrong who became the unofficial face of the Tour Down Under when the American began his return to the sport in Adelaide in 2009. In the wake of Tyler Hamilton's interview with the American 60 Minutes program in 2011 in which he confessed to doping and also claimed that Armstrong had encouraged teammates to use...

  • Cycling Australia board to meet after White's confession

    Cycling Australia
    Article published:
    October 14, 2012, 6:26 BST
    By:
    Jane Aubrey

    President says "members and fans have every right to feel disillusioned and angry"

    The Cycling Australia board will meet this week as the fallout from the USADA evidence in their case against Lance Armstrong and his associates from the U.S. Postal Service continues.

    Three Australians, now-retired Matt White, Michael Rogers and Allan Davis are named within the evidence with White the men's professional road coordinator and Orica-GreenEdge sports director stepping down from his roles after admitting his doping past. GreenEdge rider Davis has been named in relation to Operacion Puerto, despite having previously been cleared, while Team Sky's Rogers was named by Levi Leipheimer as having been at a Tenerife training camp run by Dr Michele Ferrari.

    In recent days, Cycling Australia President Klaus Mueller has raised the possibility of an amnesty while also supporting jail terms for drug cheats.

    "I think it's time all these ideas were put back on the table for discussion, not just in relation to cycling, but across the wider sporting landscape," he said on Sunday.

    "Our members and fans have every right to feel disillusioned and angry and I share that disappointment," said Mr Mueller. "However our priority now must be to work with the thousands of cyclists and fans to safeguard the future of this sport for the vast majority who have done nothing wrong and who deserve our support."

    Mueller recognised that not all relevant information will be available for this week's meeting in reference to the USADA case however, a discussion was needed about Cycling Australia's processes in place for the appointment of staff.

    "Are we asking the questions we should be in light...

  • Jonker says he "never doped"

    2004 winner Pat Jonker gets the adulation of the crowd
    Article published:
    October 14, 2012, 10:17 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    Former U.S. Postal rider warns "it wasn't every single rider in the team"

    Former U.S. Postal rider Patrick Jonker claims he never saw doping practices in his time with the besieged team.

    Speaking with the ABC's News24 channel on Sunday, the Dutch-born retired Australian cyclist also denied engaging in the practices for which USADA handed down a damning report this week to the UCI and WADA.

    "I've never doped and it never crossed my mind," the 43-year-old explained.

    Jonker joins former teammate Julian Dean in his recollection of his time with the American team, but warned that for those who have done the wrong thing "there's no place to hide" as more information comes to hand.

    "I think if somebody has done the wrong thing in the past that it will come up in the following few days or weeks but also, there are a lot of riders like myself and Julian Dean who spoke out last night that never did the wrong thing and always did the right thing and raced cleanly... We'd like to get the message across that it wasn't every single rider in the team."

    The former overall winner of the Tour Down Under and Route de Sud has been a strong, unapologetic supporter of Armstrong although Jonker now concedes that the evidence does appear to be stacked against his former teammate.

    "During that period of time it's not just the one person, it was the [anti-doping] system that was in place... it wasn't working very well," Jonker said. "It wasn't just one bad person; I think Lance is more hated than murderers... it's the system; the world they were living in at one particular time."

    Jonker argues that no winner should ever be declared for the Tour de France for...

  • Cancellara may skip Tour de France 2013

    Fabian Cancellara of Switzerland on his custom painted Trek Speed Concept, Giro Selector helmet, Assos kit, and Bontrager Aeolus front wheel
    Article published:
    October 14, 2012, 11:50 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    RadioShack-Nissan rider eager to go “back to basics”

    Fabian Cancellara may skip the Tour de France in 2013  in order to concentrate on the Tour of Flanders and Paris-Roubaix. The Swiss rider, who has said he will honour his contract and ride for RadioShack-Nissan again in the coming year, looked back at the 2012 season and forward to the future.

    “I want to be a rider again next season.  Back to basics,” he told Het Nieuwsblad. “In the first place I am going for Flanders and Paris-Roubaix.  The Tour... I think I could even skip it.”

    It was once his dream to win the Tour de France, but no more. “I don't want to be like Wiggins and Jurgen Van den Broeck and sacrifice everything for the Tour. I want a different life. I am not only a rider but also a family man,” he said.

    “I even think that I could skip the next Tour, especially now that here is no prologue. What do I have to prove? Perhaps it is more interesting to take a break then to prepare for the second part of the season.”

    Cancellara's 2012 season started out promisingly, as he won Strade Bianche and was second in Milan-San Remo. But it all came to a screeching halt in the Tour of Flanders, which he had hoped to win for the second time. A crash over a bidon laying on the road gave him a fractured collarbone, which kept him out of action for nearly two months.

    He took the Swiss national time trial title and won the Tour de France prologue, wearing the leader's jersey for a week. After finishing only third in the first time trial, he abandoned the race to be home for the birth of his second child.

    Cancellara returned to...

  • Armstrong may take a lie detector test, says lawyer

    July 2002 and Lance Armstrong has won his 4th Tour de France. Then teammate Floyd Landis leads the party in Paris
    Article published:
    October 14, 2012, 14:02 BST
    By:
    Daniel Benson

    Says people don't care if Armstrong cheated or not

    Tim Herman, a member of Lance Armstrong’s legal counsel, has told the BBC that the former Tour de France winner could sit a lie detector test. Armstrong was stripped of his seven Tour titles and handed a life time ban by USADA for his part in a major doping operation that involved a series of offenses including trafficking, possession, and drug taking. The rider refused to defend himself against the charges but has always denied doping.

    However after 26 individuals testified against him, 11 of whom were former teammates, Armstrong’s legacy has been irreparably damaged. The sport’s governing body, the UCI, has just over a fortnight to analyze USADA’s 1,000 page report and could yet appeal the decision to CAS.

    In an interview with the BBC's Radio 5 Live show, Herman was asked if the witnesses should take polygraph tests: "A lie detector test properly administered, I'm a proponent of that frankly, just personally. I wouldn't challenge the results of a lie detector test with good equipment, properly administered by a qualified technician. That's a pretty simple answer."

    Asked if Armstrong would take a lie detector test, Herman added: "We might do that, you never know. I don't know if we would or we wouldn't. We might."

    Herman appeared unsure whether Armstrong would take a test on the grounds that, “he's moved on. His name is never going to be clear with anyone beyond what it is today. People are fans, most of the people that I've talked to, this is their opinion, it is: 'We don't care whether he did or he didn't'."

    The attorney also criticized the former teammates who testified against Armstrong, six of whom were handed six month suspensions for their own doping...

  • Pound: UCI must have known about doping

    WADA chairman Dick Pound Photo: © AFP
    Article published:
    October 14, 2012, 16:33 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    Says timing of doping controls during races also suspicious

    Former World Anti-Doping Agency president Dick Pound has said that it “is not credible” that the UCI did not know about doping in the peloton. He also blamed the scheduling of doping controls and race stages for abetting doping.

    “It is not credible that they didn’t know this was going on,” Pound told the AFP news agency.  “I had been complaining to UCI for years.”

    “They can’t be so blind to not know this was going on.”

    During races, the doping controllers would test the riders in the early morning hours, leaving the riders free for several hours with the possibility of then taking doping products, he suggested.

    “The race starts at 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. in the afternoon and there are no tests prior to the race to see if they are bumped up,” he said. There was then an unchaperoned hour before further tests.

    “So then you go in and get saline solutions and other means of hiding the effects (of) EPO and whatever else it is,” he said. “You have to say, ‘I wonder if it was designed not to be successful?’”

    Pound praised the USADA report, although he was appalled by its contents. “I thought it was a very thoroughly researched report with evidence sworn or otherwise,” he said. “I was disappointed to see the extent of the scheme and of the conspiracy and the large number of people involved in it.”

    He also questioned how Lance Armstrong would deal with things. “I don’t think it is credible for Armstrong to say ‘all 26 of these people are liars and cheats and ax grinders. I am afraid his time has just run out on that.

    “What is going to be a surprise is (if) after all this, Lance persists in saying he never did it. He’s already lost...