A close-up look at the Australian's purpose-built ride
Australian's 2015 Tinkoff-Saxo team bike
Winner of the 2015 Tour Down Under
New and old kicks and lids seen at WorldTour race
British Olympians given 78 honours
Paralympian Sarah Storey, who won four gold medals in road race events in London, has also been named as a Dame, as British sport celebrated its success at the 2012 London Olympics with 78 different titles awarded to athletes and staff.
The New Year Honours are chosen by a special committee and confirmed by the Queen. All the award winner will be given their titles at a special ceremony at Buckingham Palace in the next few months.
Wiggins felt honoured to be given a knighthood, joking that he expect his family to now call him 'Sir'. He won the Tour de France in July and then took gold in the time trial at the London Olympics.
“It’s an incredible honour and an incredible thing to have,” he said. “[Sir] is not something I would like to use in daily life because it would still sit uneasy with me. The only thing I have insisted on is that my wife and children call me Sir at home but other than that everyone is free to call me Bradley!"
“The goal this year was to win the Tour de France and the Olympic Games and we did that. I think it’s everything else that has happened since then, which have not been the biggest achievements but the most rewarding - things like Sports Personality and the Knighthood - because those things are out of your hands. So to be awarded those is humbling.”
Brailsford's hard work rewarded
Dave Brailsford has masterminded success at Team Sky and with the Great Britain cycling teams on the track and the road in recent...
Santaromita to take his place in Tour Down Under squad
Alessandro Ballan continues to make progress in his recovery from serious injuries suffered in a crash last week at the BMC Racing Team training camp and is expected to be released from hospital and return to Italy in the new year.
The Italian's first race of the 2013 season should have been the Tour Down Under, January 20-27. His place on the squad to ride in Australia will be taken by Ivan Santaromita.
Ballan crashed on Thursday, December 20, suffering a broken left femur, broken rib and damaged spleen. His spleen was removed in emergency surgery that same day, and had surgery on the femur the next day.
He left the intensive care unit on Friday. "Every day I am getting better," he said in a team press release. "Now it's easy."
Ballan thanked his fans for the many messages and encouragement he has received.
"I am very happy because I have a lot of supporters, not only in Italy, but around the world. A lot of people are thinking of me in this moment and I am very happy and appreciative of all of them," he said.
Whilst the former World champion is improving, he still has a long way to go. According to Gazzetta dello Sport, Ballan will not be able to train seriously for three months.
“The doctors who are overseeing his care at the hospital saw enough improvement that he's been moved to a regular care room," team doctor Max Testa said. "What's good is that he continues to get better each day and there have been no complications from the surgeries."
IOC expected to strip him of his bronze medal from 2000 Olympics
Lance Armstrong has not appealed his lifetime ban from cycling to the Court of Arbitraiton for Sport. It is now expected that the International Olympic committee will demand the return of the bronze medal he won at the 2000 Sydney Olympics.
The UCI officially notified Armstrong on December 6 of the disqualification of all his results going back as far as August 1, 1998, including his seven Tour de France titles. He had 21 days -until December 27, to appeal that decision to the Court, which confirmed on Friday that he had not done so, according to the AFP news agency.
Armstrong had announced in August that he would not challenge the USADA action against him, saying “There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, 'Enough is enough.' For me, that time is now.”
There were, however, suspicions that he might make a last-minute move.
The IOC had said that it could not move against Armstrong until certain procedures were followed, procedures which are now complete.
"The IOC today will not move because we need to have the situation whereby the UCI notifies officially Mr Armstrong of the fact that he will be disqualified and declared ineligible and that he should hand over his medal," IOC President Jacques Rogge said.
"When he will be notified Mr Armstrong will have 21 days to launch an appeal. It is only after that period that the IOC can legally take action."
Benedetto Roberti calls for a change of cycling culture
Benedetto Roberti, the Italian investigating judge who has uncovered key evidence against Dr. Michele Ferrari and a long list of his clients, has given a rare interview with Tuttobici magazine, claiming that little has changed in the sport, with new, undetectable versions of EPO and other doping products still being used by professional, amateur and even Gran Fondo riders.
Roberti revealed his own passion for cycling, saying he has ridden numerous Gran Fondo events, where he has seen riders use cortisone suppositories as they line-up for the start. Roberti is a former military judge and angered the Italian Olympic Committee anti-doping investigators by refusing to share evidence he has collected during his meticulous investigations. His penal investigation is expected to be concluded in the New Year, with much of the evidence likely to emerge when a preliminary judge decides who should go on trial. Some evidence has already emerged as part of the USADA Reasoned Decision documentation that snared Lance Armstrong and lead to the UCI disqualifying him from his seven Tour de France victories.
"I've seen things that people can't even imagine," Roberti told Tuttobici, talking about doping in every level of cycling.
"I've learnt never to trust some people. Riders are often considered the weakest link in all of this but the riders are responsible for what they do. They're the start and the end of it all. The rest is just a lot of talking."
"Not all of cycling is bad but things aren't looking good and believe me, nothing has changed. It's not true that the situation has improved in the last few years. We're dealing with scruple-less people who inject themselves with everything, without knowing what they're doing: products stolen...
Expresses frustration with UCI, state of pro cycling
Among the UCI Continental teams rolling up the carpet after the 2012 season, the Wonderful Pistachios squad featured arguably the most high-profile sponsor of the bunch. Aside from the ubiquitous $30 million "Get Crackin'" advertising campaign it launched earlier this year, the world's largest grower and processor of almonds and pistachios also sponsors NASCAR auto racing, championship boxing and myriad other national and international events.
But the California-based company drew the line at renewing its support of the cycling team it has sponsored for the past two seasons.
"It was kind of an eye opener, because we did a good job for them," said team owner and general manager Josh Horowitz. "We did everything we could have done for them. Overall they were really happy. A lot of cyclists in the company came out and supported us, but ultimately what it came down to is that for a company like Wonderful Pistachios, what we're doing is so unbelievably insignificant to them. When they're advertising during the World Series and during the finale of Dancing With the Stars, this is not a lot of money for them to support us, but as far as they're concerned it's not even worth it."
The squad, which originally joined the Continental ranks in 2010 as Adageo Energy, will join Team Exergy, Chipotle-First Solar and Competitive Cyclist on the domestic cycling trash heap next year. As many as 60 professional riders could find themselves without contracts for 2013, and Horowitz is also throwing in the towel.
"There's just been a lot of disappointment," he said of his run at owning a pro cycling team. "I've decided that pro cycling in the US is not a viable way to make a living. With everything that's been going on with Lance and all the other turmoil in the sport, there was just no way I was going to waste my time and try to find new corporate sponsorship in...
Italian sprinter responds to suspicions about his great season
Mario Cipollini has celebrated the tenth anniversary of his 2012 world road race title true to character, with a party in a Tuscan nightclub attended by many of his former teammates and the staff who helped him win the rainbow jersey in Zolder.
Looking a little older, with some grey hair in his beard, but still looking smart in a suit and tie, Cipollini sat with his former teammates Paolo Bettini, Luca Scinto, Mario Scirea, Davide Bramati, Matteo Tosatto and 93 year-old former national coach Alfredo Martini. They laughed and smiled as they exchanged memories of the race as highlights were shown on a huge screen.
Cipollini beat Robbie McEwen (Australia) and Erik Zabel (Germany) to win the world title, remembering how Alessandro Petacchi played a special role in the lead out and his fear that McEwen would jump him coming out of the final corner.
Now close to 46 and busy with his own bike company after finally retiring in 2008, Cipollini gave each of the riders a special memorial bracelet and promised there will be another party in ten years time.
"I wanted to relive what happened ten years ago. It was a special world championships because we created a special team spirit. Thanks to the work of then national coach Franco Ballerini we started a series of titles that showed that being rivals from trade teams doesn't mean Italian riders can't all ride together," he said.
"I'm happy to celebrate that day with everyone who was there and who helped me win. Not everyone could make in person it but they're all here in spirit, especially the late Franco Ballerini. Seeing the video images of him talking on television after we won is a very moving moment."
"I think the best way to remember what happened in Zolder that day is the photo of me crossing the line. I sprinted...
A look back at some of the biggest moments
2012 was a roller coaster year for cycling, packed with some great racing moments but also some damning revelations and confirmations about the past.
Cyclingnews looks back at the best racing moments over the year's racing with this giant photo gallery.
The 2012 season started under the blue skies of the Tour Down Under in Australia and then returned to Europe with Tom Boonen dominating the cobbles and Joaquim Rodriguez conquering the Ardennes with victory at Fleche-Wallonne.
Ryder Hesjedal become the first Canadian to win the Giro d'Italia after a close battle with Rodriguez in the mountains, while Bradley Wiggins became the first British winner at the Tour de France after a tour de force by Team Sky. Teammate Chris Froome was Wiggins' biggest threat and finished second overall after Team Sky also won six stages, with world champion Mark Cavendish winning three of them before confirming his move to Omega Pharma-QuickStep for 2013.
The London Olympics came just a week after the Tour de France but Wiggins held his form to win gold in the time trial and became a national hero at home. Cavendish and Great Britain were unable to complete a double in the road race however, with Alexandre Vinokourov spoiling the party with a late attack to beat Rigoberto Uran in the sprint on the Mall.
The Vuelta a Espana also saw a comeback and produced more thrilling racing, with Alberto Contador snatching victory from Rodriguez with an audacious but determined attack. John Degenkolb confirmed his sprinting talent, winning five stages.
Philippe Gilbert had a disappointing early season but bounced back and silenced his growing critics by winning the world title in Valkenburg. Nobody could match...
Italian starts 2013 early after move from Farnese Vini
Italian sprinter Andrea Guardini will make his 2013 debut with the Astana team at the Tour Down Under, with the Kazakhstani team also naming Enrico Gasparotto and 2012 Liège–Bastogne–Liège winner Maxim Iglinskiy in its squad.
Surprisingly, the Tour Down Under organisers also listed Andrey Kashechkin in the press release announcing the Astana line-up for the early-season WorldTour race. However he was suspended by the Astana team on Friday after he refused to sign the team's internal code of conduct. Kashechkin returned to racing in 2010 after serving a ban for blood doping. His name does not appear on the official race website, with a note saying his replacement will be announced at a later date.
Guardini has shown his sprinting speed with a haul of wins in the last two years, including taking Mark Cavendish's scalp on stage 18 of the 2012 Giro d'Italia. However the pocket-rocket Italian struggles on the climbs and will face major competition from the on-form Australians, multiple stage winner Andre Greipel (Lotto-Belisol) fellow Italian Roberto Ferrari (Lampre-Merida) and Britain's Ben Swift (Team Sky).
Astana team manager Giuseppe Martinelli and general manager Alexandre Vinokourov both expect big things from Guardini in South Australia.
"Adelaide should watch out for Guardini, he will make his presence known at the finish," Vinokourov warned.
Martinelli said: "Guardini has all of the characteristics of becoming a world class sprinter. His explosive jump and tremendous leg speed took him to more than 20 top ten finishes last season, including a win at the Giro d'Italia against the World Champion. Astana is sending a strong squad in support of Andrea."
The Astana team will be managed in Australia by new directeur sportif Stefano Zanini.
The race opens with the People's Choice criterium on Sunday January 20, with the six-day Tour Down Under between Tuesday January 22 and Sunday...