TechPowered By

More tech

First Edition Cycling News, Sunday, August 9, 2009

Date published:
August 09, 2009, 1:00 BST
  • Kashechkin's suspension upheld

    Andrey Kashechkin (Astana Team) stands proudly on the podium.
    Article published:
    August 08, 2009, 12:20 BST
    By:
    Susan Westemeyer

    Eligible for cycling return

    Kazakh Andrey Kashechkin lost an appeal Friday of his two-year suspension for doping a week after the suspension expired. The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) upheld his suspension issued by the International Cycling Union (UCI).

    The former Team Astana cyclist tested positive for blood doping in an out-of-competition doping control while on vacation on August 1, 2007. He denied the charges.

    Kashechkin at first challenged the charges in a Belgian court, claiming that doping test violate human rights. However, the court dismissed the case.

    The Kazakh Cycling Federation (KCF) refused to suspend Kashechkin because it said that it never received the full documentation from the UCI. The UCI said that it had sent the dossier to the KCF three times.

    The UCI officially suspended Kashechkin in December 2008. Kashechkin appealed the suspension to the CAS this past June.

    His positive doping control was the third in three months for Team Astana in 2007. It led to the removal of general manager Marc Biver, who was the team replaced with Belgian Johan Bruyneel. German Matthias Kessler tested positive for testosterone and it was announced in June of that year. One month later, Alexander Vinokourov tested positive for blood doping at the Tour de France and forced the team's withdrawal from the race.

    All three cyclists are now again eligible to ride. Vinokourov announced his intention of riding the Vuelta a España this year for Team Astana. Neither Kessler nor Kashechkin has yet announced their plans, although Kashechkin has said he wants to return to racing.

  • Durbridge wins gold in World Championships

    Article published:
    August 08, 2009, 13:09 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    Win for Australia on day one

    West Australian Luke Durbridge won Australia's first medal at the Junior Road World Championships in Moscow, Russia, yesterday. Durbridge, 18, won the Under 19 time trial ahead of American Lawson Craddock and Denmark's Lasse Hansen.

    "I'm absolutely stoked and I just can't take it in at the moment," said Durbridge. "I headed out really quickly and was fastest in the first lap and then I died a little bit in the last lap but I managed to hold onto it."

    He won the 25.8-kilometre race, two circuits, in a time of 32'52" and an average speed of 47. Craddock was two seconds slower and Hansen 10 seconds slower.

    "This course had lots of gradual climbs and I could use the big gear and my power to get up them. My track work preparation meant I could use high cadence on the downhills so that helped me a fair bit as well but the course was rather flat."

    Durbridge, Under 19 Australian champion, has won many gold medals. Last year, he was a member of the victorious team pursuit at the Junior Worlds and the elite team pursuit at the Melbourne World Cup. This season, he won team pursuit gold at the Oceania and Australian Championships.

    "When I got on the rollers today I knew it was going to be a good day," said Durbridge. "I was going well in Adelaide [pre-event team training camp - ed.] and I coped well with the flight over."

    He will not contest Sunday's road race, but will instead turn his attention to the track events which begin on Tuesday.

    "We've been training for six months on the team pursuit and that's definitely my goal."

  • Dean still suffering from Tour shooting incident

    Julian Dean (Garmin-Slipstream) hangs out with his son before the start of the stage.
    Article published:
    August 08, 2009, 15:53 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    Kiwi sprinter underwent surgery to remove pellet

    Garmin-Slipstream sprinter Julian Dean had to undergo surgery to remove a pellet from his finger, the team revealed this week. The New Zealander was injured in the finger after an unknown assailant fired an air rifle into the Tour de France peloton last month. Rabobank's Oscar Freire was also wounded in the incident.

    Dean finished the Tour after being hit by the pellet gun during stage 13, but after returning home to Spain the finger became infected. X-rays revealed the pellet had remained in his finger.

    "Due to the intricate anatomy, a specialized hand and trauma surgeon removed the foreign body. Julian is now back at home and recovering with his pellet souvenir from the Tour de France," said team doctor Shannon Sovndal.

  • Cunego on target for World Championships

    Damiano Cunego (Lampre-NGC)
    Article published:
    August 08, 2009, 16:11 BST
    By:
    Gregor Brown

    Clásica San Sebastián and Volta a Portugal test Damiano Cunego's condition

    Italian Damiano Cunego has early indicators that his preparation is where it needs to be to win the World Championships September 27 in Mendrisio, Switzerland. He attacked in the finale of last week's Clásica San Sebastián and is continuing to ride well in the Volta a Portugal.

    "I had only a small amount of races in my legs prior to San Sebastián, but I was able to do well nonetheless. The force I had after 230 kilometres was an important signal for me," Cunego told Cyclingnews.

    Cunego (Lampre) had enough energy to help shape the race's finale despite a problem early in the race. He had to chase back to the favourites after his chain broke on the main Jaizkibel climb.

    He attacked with Filippo Pozzato on the Miracruz climb, three kilometres remaining, to join the escape group with eventual winner Carlos Barredo. Barredo made his winning move immediately after on the descent, but Cunego remained with the favourites to finish 22nd.

    Cunego's fall season started after the Italian Championships June 28. He had 10 days off the bike and went to the beach in Lido di Camaiore. He re-started his season at the Brixia Tour and then San Sebastián.

    Cunego is currently racing the Volta a Portugal stage race, August 5 to 16. His next race will be the Vuelta a España, August 29 to September 20.

    "Portugal and the Vuelta will be used as training for Worlds. I will not race for the classification, but if I have a chance for a stage win here in Portugal I will try. I would like to win one of the hard stages and give a strong signal."

    Cunego finished fifth in stage one, but he is aiming for tomorrow's stage to Mondim de Basto or Tuesday's stage to Santo Tirso. The climbs in Portugal and the ones in Spain's Vuelta should leave Cunego ready for the World Championships.

    He finished second to Italian teammate Alessandro Ballan last year in Varese, Italy. The...

  • Di Luca's failed doping control confirmed

    Danilo Di Luca (LPR Brakes) before the stage
    Article published:
    August 08, 2009, 16:13 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    Lab's counter-analysis confirms Italian doped

    Paris' Châtenay-Malabry lab confirmed Danilo Di Luca failed doping controls for blood booster Erythropoietin (EPO) - CERA in a counter-analysis, according to Italy's ANSA news agency. Last month, the International Cycling Union (UCI) announced the Italian cyclist tested positive twice during the May's Giro d'Italia stage race.

    Di Luca finished second overall in the Giro d'Italia, 41 seconds behind winner Denis Menchov. His two positive doping controls came from blood samples on May 20 (stage 11) and May 28 (stage 18).

    He gave a total of five blood and 12 urine samples during the three-week Giro d'Italia.

    The Châtenay-Malabry lab did the original testing on Di Luca's blood samples. Di Luca was not present for the counter-analysis of the B samples Tuesday in Châtenay-Malabry, in the suburbs of Paris. Doctor Santo Davide Ferrara, a medical expert at the Padova University, represented him.

    The lab mailed a photograph of the results to a World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) lab in Vienna, Austria, Wednesday for validation. Châtenay-Malabry received the validation and closed the examination last night.

    A WADA lab in Barcelona, Spain, validated the original testing on the A samples.

    Di Luca is ready to argue the results, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport. His lawyer Ernesto De Toni plans to challenge the methods used by the Châtenay-Malabry lab.

    Floyd Landis unsuccessfully challenged the Châtenay-Malabry lab when he tested positive for testosterone in the 2006 Tour de France.

    Di Luca previously served a three-month suspension in 2007 for visiting banned sports doctor Carlo Santuccione in 2004. The Italian cycling federation (FCI) suspended Santuccione for five years in 1995 and for life in 2007.

    The Italian Olympic Committee (CONI) will review Di Luca's Giro d'Italia case and should request a two-year suspension for Di Luca.

  • Barloworld ends its sponsorship after seven years

    Team Barloworld
    Article published:
    August 08, 2009, 16:52 BST
    By:
    Gregor Brown

    Corti searches for new title sponsor of his Pro Continental team

    Barloworld announced it will end its sponsorship of Claudio Corti's Professional Continental team at the end of 2009 following seven years of backing the squad. Corti said this week that he is looking for a new sponsor to replace Barloworld to continue for 2010.

    "The cyclists know Barloworld is out and know that I am working to find a new sponsor to keep everyone working," Corti told Cyclingnews.

    Barloworld decided to end is sponsorship after last year's Tour de France after its rider Moisés Dueñas tested positive for blood booster Erythropoietin (EPO). Despite the bad news, Corti and Barloworld agreed last autumn to continue working together through 2009.

    Over its seven years with the team, Barloworld has grown from a South African squad to an international level outfit. It received wild card invitations to the 2007 and 2008 Tour de France. In its debut appearance it won a stage with South African Robert Hunter and the mountains classification with Colombian Mauricio Soler.

    Corti said he is keeping calm despite a lack of a title sponsor for 2010. "I don't have the pressure of keeping riders like Mark Cavendish or Alberto Contador under contract," Corti said.

    Italian bike manufacturer Bianchi told Cyclingnews that it would stay with Corti through 2010. It became a co-sponsor for 2009 and also supplies the team bikes.

    Barloworld is a international management company based in Johannesburg, South Africa.

  • No US nationals for Caldwell

    Blake Caldwell (Garmin-Chipotle)
    Article published:
    August 08, 2009, 17:11 BST
    By:
    Shane Stokes

    Garmin Slipstream rider still recovering from injury

    Garmin Slipstream rider Blake Caldwell will miss the opportunity to improve on his silver medal in last year’s US national road race championships as he is still recovering from a bad crash this spring.

    On April 2nd Caldwell fell while out training in Girona, suffering a intertrochanteric fracture of the femur. Since then he’s been working on getting his recovery right, backing off after an earlier return to racing in order to avoid further complications.

    "Things are coming along with my hip," he told Cyclingnews this week. "I reached a point in June where I was able to train normally and do some small local races. However, as I continued to up the training, I had some pain come back in my leg, which is still bothering me.

    "It’s taking longer to heal than I expected and a lot longer than I hoped. But if it keeps healing in a positive way, that's all I can ask for. I'm up to training 3-4 hours, but without the high intensity."

    Around this time last year Caldwell was racking up some good results. He was second overall plus first and second on stages of the Tour of Utah, then followed that up with that fine ride in the US national road race championships in Greenville on August 31st. He took the runner-up slot there, narrowly losing out in a two-up gallop to the line with Tyler Hamilton (Rock Racing), who has since been banned from the sport.

    Returning to Greenville this year to chase gold must have been originally a target, but he believes that his priority has to be on getting his body back to where it needs to be.

    "My first goals are to get back to training at an intensity consistent with racing," the 25-year-old said. "At that point, I know I'll be ready to push myself without compromising the healing. In racing, you don't think about if your body can handle it. You just do it, which can be good and bad.

    "Returning to that point doesn't seem terribly far off, but since its largely beyond...

  • Jalabert calls for re-evaluation of French cycling

    Sylvain Chavanel (Quick Step)
    Article published:
    August 09, 2009, 13:33 BST
    By:
    Richard Tyler

    French only qualify six riders for Worlds road race

    French cycling team manager Laurent Jalabert says he is looking forward to a period of re-evaluation for French cycling after the team failed to qualify nine riders for next month's world championships. Jalabert will only be able to choose six riders for the mens road race on September 27.

    "It's very disturbing," Jalabert told French sports daily L'Equipe. "This does not mean that we are already beaten, but it says a lot about the true position of France in international cycling. I hope this will at least provoke some thought."

    Like fellow European nation The Netherlands, French riders have failed to accumulate enough International Cycling Union (UCI) points this season to gain a place inside the top ten nations, who will each be eligible to select nine riders for the Worlds road race.

    At last month's Tour de France Thomas Voeckler, Pierrick Fédrigo and Brice Feillu all claimed stage wins, but despite strong individual performances by French riders at their national Tour, the French nation sits 12th on the UCI's world rankings.

    L'Equipe reported that Jalabert expects to rely upon riders like Fédrigo and Quick Step's Sylvain Chavanel as he adapts the team's tactics to suit the smaller, six-man squad.

    "We'll just try to follow as long as possible," said Jalabert. "On a one-day course like this there are guys [in the team] able to get a result."

    Fédrigo and Chavanel were amongst 18 riders named in an eighteen man pre-selection announced on July 30.