TechPowered By

More tech

First Edition Cycling News, Saturday, November 2, 2013

Date published:
November 02, 2013, 0:00 GMT
  • Trek couldn't give Horner what he wants, says Guercilena

    Chris Horner (RadioShack)
    Article published:
    November 01, 2013, 10:44 GMT
    By:
    Cycling News

    Acknowledges suspicions raised by Vuelta win

    Trek Factory Racing manager Luca Guercilena has explained that he has not signed Vuelta a España winner Chris Horner for the 2014 season because his team could not match the American’s wage demands, preferring to place its emphasis on younger riders.

    The 41-year-old Horner was a surprise winner of the Vuelta but is not among the RadioShack-Leopard riders who will continue with the team in its new guise under the Trek banner in 2014.

    “We have to prioritise the youngsters and above all, I can’t give Chris what he wants: we have other priorities,” Guercilena told Tuttobici.

    Horner’s Vuelta victory was greeted with considerable scepticism, prompting the American to take the step of releasing his biological passport data on his personal website, although he had earlier refused to answer Cyclingnews questions on whether he was a redacted name in USADA’s Reasoned Decision on the Lance Armstrong case.

    Guercilena acknowledged that Horner’s victory “has raised infinite doubts and suspicions” but offered a qualified explanation for his startling performance at the Vuelta.

    “Starting with the premise that I would never in my life put my hand in the fire for anyone, I think that Chris’ victory can be explained as follows,” Guercilena said. “Chris rode very little this year due to injury and a subsequent knee operation. Furthermore, his direct rivals – from Nibali to Rodriguez to Valverde – were clearly more worn out than him after a very long and wearying season.

    “If you look close at the data, you’ll realise that the average level [of the race] was relatively low. I didn’t see incredible...

  • Cookson builds bridges with AFLD, meetings set with IOC

    New UCI president Brian Cookson with Thor Hushovd after stage 1 of the Tour of Beijing.
    Article published:
    November 01, 2013, 11:33 GMT
    By:
    Daniel Benson

    FIFA's Nicolas Valticos joins as legal counsel

    UCI President Brian Cookson's mission to improve the governing body’s credibility is set to continue in the coming weeks with meetings planned with key stakeholders in international sport. Cookson has already restructured elements of the UCI’s Management Committee, appointing three new Vice-Presidents and awarding the role of Director General under the new regime to Martin Gibbs, who had worked on the presidential campaign.

    Cyclingnews understands that Cookson met with AFLD President Bruno Genevois earlier this month and that on November 26 he will meet with IOC President Thomas Bach.

    “The UCI has started a constructive dialogue and that will continue as we redouble our efforts to tackle doping in co-operation with all the key stakeholders," a UCI spokesperson told Cyclingnews.

    We are working with WADA and other national anti-doping agencies to develop the UCI’s new approach and the steps needed to establish a fully independent anti-doping unit.”

    Gibbs has already met with WADA in order to begin discussions on how to build the independent investigation into the UCI’s leadership under previous heads Hein Verbruggen and Pat McQuaid, which Cookson promised as part of his manifesto.

    Cookson has also already appointed Aurelie Merle as Project Manager for the investigation. Merle has previously worked with IOC/CIO and LOCOG, the agency tasked with developing the London Olympic Games in 2012. Merle is set to remain as a consultant until the commission has been started.

    More changes have taken place behind the scenes with Nathalie Clerc joining as assistant to the directorate and on January 1, 2014 Nicolas Valticos, currently working at FIFA, will join the UCI as in the in-house legal counsel.

     

     

  • François Parisien unconvinced by Hesjedal’s doping confession

    Francois Parisien sprints to a win
    Article published:
    November 01, 2013, 12:42 GMT
    By:
    José Been

    "I don't believe it all," Argos-Shimano rider says

    Canadian Cyclist François Parisien doesn’t believe Ryder Hesjedal’s confession that he used banned substances ten years ago but not ever since. “I don’t believe it all,” the Argos-Shimano rider told Radio Canada. “Just like Michael Barry who said he quit using doping in 2006. I don’t believe it all.” 

    Parisien who won a stage in the Volta a Catalunya this season, continues. “These guys have been lying for lots of years and now they decide to confess. But they only did so after they had been exposed and with their backs against the wall.”

    In 2008 the now 31-year old rider from Québec was first subsititute for the Olympic road race team in Beijing. The Canadian team eventually consisted of Michael Barry and Ryder Hesjedal. In 2012 Hesjedal was the only Canadian at the start in the London Olympic road race.

    “It makes me sick,” Parisien said about his Olympic dream being taken away from him. “I feel a lot of frustration and disgust. These frauds defined a large part of my career since I was young.”

    Parisien started his professional career in 2006 with TIAA-Cref, the predecessor of Slipstream and later Garmin-Sharp. The year before he became national elite champion of Canada. The Québecois rode for smaller teams and for Team Spidertech in 2011 and 2012 before being taken on by World Tour-team Argos-Shimano this season.

    “This is not something to simply get over,” he says about the confessions of Hesjedal and Barry. “I will have to slowly digest and then learn to live with it. It has happened and it can’t be undone. You can’t go...

  • Video: British women favourites for first 4km pursuit at Track World Cup

    Great Britain won the women's team pursuit title
    Article published:
    November 01, 2013, 15:45 GMT
    By:
    Cycling News

    Round one gets underway in Manchester

    The first round of the 2013-2014 UCI Track World gets underway in Manchester on Friday and marks something of a milestone. For the first time at the World Cup, the women’s team pursuit will feature four-rider teams and take place over four kilometres.

    Great Britain’s trio of Joanna Rowsell, Dani King and Laura Trott triumphed over the previous 3,000-metre distance at the London 2012 Olympics and they remain favourites in the discipline with the addition of an extra kilometre.

    Rowsell, King and Trott are joined in Manchester by former junior world time trial champion Elinor Barker, who was herself part of the victorious team pursuit trio at the world championships in Minsk in February. The quartet set a new world record of 4:26.453 at the European Championships in Apeldoorn last month and will be expected to win out before the home crowd on Friday evening.

    “I think we’ve adjusted to the four kilometres pretty well to be honest,” said Trott, according to the British Cycling website. “When it comes to turn length you get an extra lap so it is technically easier. It’s just a bit further.”

    Friday evening also sees the final of the men’s team pursuit, where Great Britain’s four of Owain Doull, Ed Clancy, Steve Burke and Andy Tennant were the fastest qualifiers from the morning session, and they will face Australia’s Luke Davison, Alexander Edmondson, Mitchell Mulhern and Miles Scotson in the gold medal race.

    The men’s omnium is the other major event that gets underway on Friday, with 2013 world champion Aaron Gate (New Zealand) among those lining up.

    The main draw for the home fans in Manchester will be the British team, of course, and earlier this week, some of their leading lights spoke about their training regimen. Watch to the end for a competition to win a signed British jersey.