TechPowered By

More tech

First Edition Cycling News, Monday, September 27, 2010

Date published:
September 27, 2010, 1:00 BST
  • Melbourne police upset by Worlds riders' road training habits

    Former world champion Paolo Bettini talks to Luca Paolini (Aqua & Sapone) while stopped at lights in Geelong.
    Article published:
    September 26, 2010, 15:02 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    Those running red lights will be ticketed, police say

    The cycling elite has gathered in Melbourne for the world championships, and the Australians are aghast at the athletes' behaviour. “World cyclists running our red lights” read the headline in the Geelong Advertiser.

    “Daredevil cyclists running red lights in Geelong and risking life and limb have alarmed organisers of next week's UCI cycling titles,” the newspaper reported, while the organisers “fear serious injuries to cyclists blatantly running red lights around Geelong.”

    Traffic policeman Senior Sergeant Shane Coles said that those who break the law would be booked. "If they are detected they will be booked, it doesn't matter if they are the world champion, the law is the law and they've got to comply with it," Sgt. Coles said. "We're going to have a huge influx of bikes in the next week or so and for all my members on the highway patrol no one is having a day off so we are going to have a massive presence in the area."

    Michael Palmer, the general manager of the organising committee, confirmed that many riders ran the red lights and violated other traffic laws while training.

    "Stopping at red lights is something they don't spend a lot of time bothering about," Palmer said.

    "We're working with the teams to make sure they understand they've got to abide by the road rules, but there's plenty of examples ... there goes another one.”

    Palmer noted that in the time he was talking with the reporter, at least three riders had run the red light. "We'll be talking with them to make sure they stop doing that."

  • Düster out of worlds with broken pelvis

    Sarah D
    Article published:
    September 26, 2010, 15:27 BST
    By:
    Susan Westemeyer

    Serious crash for German woman in Sunday's warm-up race

    Sarah Düster broke her pelvis in a crash a the Herald Sun World Cycling Classic on Sunday, which was won by her German teammate Trixi Worrack. As a result, the German women's team for the road race next weekend is now down to only five riders.

    Düster, 28, crashed into a rider who had fallen in front of her. “This is extremely tragic," said Udo Sprenger of the Bund Deutscher Radfahrer (BDR). “Sarah was the innocent victim of a crash at low speed. “

    The German women's team was already one rider short, after Claudia Häusler suffered head injuries in the Giro dell Toscana that left her unable to ride for two to three weeks.

    “I'm terribly sorry for Sara and it is also bad for the team,” said women's team trainer Thomas Liese. “But we have to accept it, and won't nominate a replacement.”

    The team had already decided not to replace Häusler. “The athletes who are still in German have already ended their season and are surely not on form for the Worlds. There is also the whole stress of travelling and jet lag, so it just doesn't make any sense,” Liese said on the BDR's website.

    He is still optimistic about the chances for his team, which feature three strong favourites in Judith Arndt, Ina-Yoko Teutenberg and Worrack.

    “The quality is there in the team. The other top riders are in absolute top form and I think that we can still do something with this team. Trixi rode a very strong race today and the others showed that they are in good form,” he said.

    It was the second consecutive year of a disaster at the world championships for Düster. Last year she had to leave the team hotel in tears at the last minute when it was discovered that she was not registered to ride. The BDR acknowledged its administrative failure at what would have been her first Worlds appearance.

    “After our registration mishap last...

  • Cavendish warns his world championship rivals

    Mark Cavendish (HTC-Columbia) waves to the crowd
    Article published:
    September 26, 2010, 15:48 BST
    By:
    Stephen Farrand

    British sprinters accuses a rival team of playing mind games

    Mark Cavendish insists he is not a favourite for next Sunday’s road race world championships but after polishing his form, and most importantly, working on his climbing strength at the Vuelta, he warns his rivals against writing him off.

    "I'm not going into it thinking 'I'm going to win this'... but there's a chance," he told the Independent on Sunday newspaper in an interview done during the final stages of the Vuelta.

    "All this month my legs have felt hard, like they're made of steel. It's like last year before I won Milan-San Remo; you just know when you've got good form, you don't do your legs any muscle damage with a hard ride, you can feel them getting stronger. And that's what's happening now.

    "People forget a lot of things. I'll win what I aim to win," he said, explaining just how special the world championships and winning the rainbow jersey are to him. He has already twice won world titles on the track but wants the road race rainbow jersey.

    "The Worlds has always been a big thing for me. When I was at the [Under 23] Academy, I said to Rod (Ellingworth, the road coach) that I want to be world champion. Even after taking the track championships, the rainbow jersey you get doesn't have solid bands, like the one you get in the world [road] championships. I said to Rod, at least once in my life, I want those solid bands. I need them."

    Speaking his mind about the media, rival teams and the future

    Cavendish has never been afraid to speak his mind in interviews and blasted a journalist for daring to accuse him of holding onto a team car in the mountains at the Tour de France.

    "Are you f**king kidding me? If I go back, let alone if I'm dropped, I have two race officials, TV cameras, an ice-cream van and a marching band following me. How the f**k am I going to hold on to a car?” he asks.

    He also claims that a rival team is systematically playing mind games with...

  • Pozzato happy with warm-up win in Australia

    The podium (l-r): Bodnar, Pozzato and Guinez
    Article published:
    September 26, 2010, 18:58 BST
    By:
    Stephen Farrand

    Italians test their legs a week before the world championships

    Filippo Pozzato won the Herald Sun World Cycling Classic Ballarat but admitted that the world championship warm-up race was just that, a practice run for next Sunday’s far bigger race when the world title will be up for grabs.

    Pozzato beat Poland’s Maciej Bodnar, Carlos Guinez of Chile and Fabian Cancellara of Switzerland after the four riders jumped away from the key break on the final climb of the 120km race.

    The race was all part of a long day's training for the Italians. They rode 95km before the race, completed the 120km race and then many of them did some motor pacing behind the team car during the 45km trip back to their hotel.

    “If this is the race that counts, then now we’ve won, we can go home,” Pozzato joked to Gazzetta dello Sport.

    “It’s not the result that counts but how we raced that is important. We understood each other really well in the race. We were all in the thick of the action and shaped the race as we wanted to and as we’d planned to do.

    "We did it all without race radio and so that was a good test for that reason too. It’s important we work well together. We’re united and strong as a team. Everything looks in place for now, so lets see what happen. The world championships will be very different and a lot harder but we’re confident.”

    New Italian national coach Paolo Bettini was also happy.

    “It’s good when you win, whatever race it is. This win confirms that the team is ready. It wasn’t a big test because a lot of our real rivals weren’t here and those that were used it as a test of their form and a training ride. But it’s good that Pippo won.

    “We decided to test our form on the hilly course. It was a tough course and the average speed was 43km/h, without any flat bits. The wind was a factor too and split the race with an echelon. We got used to racing without...

  • Haussler promises carnage with Garmin-Cervélo at next year's Classics

    Heinrich Haussler (Cervélo TestTeam) awaits the start of the Tour de Vendée.
    Article published:
    September 26, 2010, 21:19 BST
    By:
    Jean-François Quénet

    Australian puts health first for a successful 2011 season

    Heinrich Haussler will miss the world championships in Australia due to his knee injury but he's continued with his 2010 season as preparation for the next year's campaign with Garmin-Cervélo. Haussler showed an interesting return to form at the Tour de Vendée as he gave a good lead-out to teammate Davide Appollonio who finished second to Koldo Fernandez (Euskaltel-Euskadi).

    "I've been on the bike for four weeks only," Haussler told Cyclingnews at the start of the Tour de Vendée in Montaigu. "It was not enough for the Tour of Britain where I resumed racing. I stopped in the first stage. That was not my type of racing.

    "My knee is okay now but in terms of condition I'm not near where I could be. I'm just turning the pedals towards the end of the season as a preparation for next year."

    Haussler has two races remaining on his schedule with the Münsterland Giro in Germany next week and Paris-Bourges on October 7, after which he'll return to Australia for family purposes and training. "Paris-Tours on October 10 would have been the only race I would have done intense training for but we haven't been invited by race organisers," said the Cervélo rider.

    Haussler was on the pre-selection list of the Australian national team for the world championship in Geelong and had hoped to earn the rainbow jersey on home soil after giving up his German citizenship and choosing to race for the country where he was born. Haussler, however, didn't make the final cut due to a lack of form.

    "It's bad to miss the Worlds in Australia because it's probably only once in a lifetime," he said. "But I didn't want to start if I wasn't at 100 percent of my capacities. I preferred to have physiotherapy and resume racing later than take any risk for the future."

    The runner-up at the Circuit Het Nieuwsblad, who had his 2010 season ruined by a knee injury, will be part of the super team Garmin-Cervélo...

  • Austrian Rohregger joins Australian team

    Tomas Rohregger (Milram) bridging up to Bastien
    Article published:
    September 27, 2010, 9:54 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    Climbing and time trailing skills to help with GC rankings at Pegasus

    Thomas Rohregger is the third rider from Team Milram to sign with Pegasus Sports racing team, the Australian team which hopes to hit the ProTour in 2011.

    According to Australian newspaper The Age, the Austrian is seen as one who could “finish the major tours highly placed overall,” citing his climbing and time trailing strengths.

    The 27-year-old's only win in his two years with Milram is the mountain title in the 2010 Tour Down Under. In 2009 he finished 28th overall in the Giro d'Italia and abandoned the Vuelta a Espana. This year he did not finish the Giro and finished 74th in the Tour de France, never finishing higher than 21st on a stage. He won the Tour of Austria in 2008 for the Professional Contintal team Elk Haus.

    He will meet Milram teammates Luke Roberts and Christian Knees as the Australian team.

    Also said to have signed with Pegasus are Darryl Impey of RadioShack, Bobbie Traksel of Vacansoleil, and Robbie Hunter of Garmin-Transitions, giving the team a total of 20 riders so far.
     

  • Operacion Puerto court cases facing an end?

    It's all about blood - performance-enhancing methods abound in pro cycling
    Article published:
    September 27, 2010, 10:18 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    No new names expected, but blood bags may be destroyed

    Operacion Puerto may soon be over, and all the blood bags taken into custody destroyed. The Spanish judge who ordered the case to be reviewed said that he doubted that further revelations or names would ever be revealed.

    Judge Arturo Beltran ordered that the case against Dr. Eufemiano Fuentes be reviewed again in spring 2011, after a series of court cases in Spain had sought to end the case.

    “When the final ruling is issued, after a possible appeal, then it is likely that in the end all the blood bags and evidence will be destroyed,” Beltran said on the German TV show “Sport Inside” scheduled to be broadcast Monday evening, according to the dpa news agency.

    Fuentes is said to have handled 200 athletes, and 50 names have been made public, most of them cyclists. Jan Ullrich, Ivan Basso and Alejandro Valverde are among his most prominent clients.

    “One could probably find out which athletes doped with Fuentes,” said Eduardo Esteban, the Madrid prosecuting attorney handling the Fuentes case. “But since Spanish criminal law isn't relevant to them, this investigation will not be conducted. And therefore is is most likely that no new names or sports will appear in the case against Fuentes .”

  • Bennati disappointed at Worlds exclusion

    Daniele Bennati (Liquigas-Doimo) wraps up after the finish.
    Article published:
    September 27, 2010, 10:57 BST
    By:
    Barry Ryan

    Italian says Toscana win is proof of his form

    Daniele Bennati (Liquigas-Doimo) took a bittersweet victory on home roads at the Giro della Toscana Sunday and then spoke of his disappointment at missing out on selection for the world championships. Italian coach Paolo Bettini opted to exclude Bennati from his team after deciding that the Geelong course would not finish in a bunch sprint.

    “My victory shows that I’m not a pure sprinter but a fast rouleur and that I’ve come back from the Vuelta in great form,” Bennati told Gazzetta dello Sport after the race. The Liquigas man failed to win a stage in Spain but had shown signs of improving form over the three weeks. “The only person who didn’t see that I was flying at the Vuelta was Bettini,” he added.

    The Giro della Toscana finished in Bennati’s hometown of Arezzo and his supporters were out in force at the finish. “I really wanted to win,” Bennati said. “I wanted to make my fans happy and I wanted to show that it was an injustice to leave me at home.”

    “I’m very disappointed not to be in Australia,” Bennati continued. “And I’d also say that the route of the Giro della Toscana had a lot in common with the Worlds course: I would have been able to make a contribution.”

    Bennati also confessed that he wouldn’t be staying up to watch the race on television. “It will be night time in Italy,” he said. “I’ll sleep calmly and watch the replay.”

    “I think Gilbert is the favourite,” Bennati added. “I think it will be hard for the Italians, maybe Visconti can do something.”

    Bennati will ride two more races this season, Paris-Tours and the Giro del Piemonte, before moving to the new Luxembourg team in 2011