TechPowered By

More tech

First Edition Cycling News, Friday, September 17, 2010

Date published:
September 17, 2010, 1:00 BST
  • Mosquera to Vacansoleil?

    Ezequiel Mosquera (Xacobeo Galicia) was impressive on the final climb.
    Article published:
    September 16, 2010, 23:02 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    Vuelta runner-up to announce new team next week

    With the future of the Xacobeo Galica squad uncertain, the team's star rider Ezequiel Mosquera, currently sitting second overall in the Vuelta a España, is rumoured to be close to an agreement with the Dutch team Vacansoleil

    Mosquera is still in contention for the overall victory in Spain, only 38 seconds down on race leader Vincenzo Nibali. The second last stage on Saturday to Bola del Mundo features a gruelling climb at the end and the Galician believes he has a real chance of winning.

    "Last night I dreamed that I was in red jersey in Madrid… I don't know if it's a premonition, but this is the big occasion of my life," the 34-year-old Spaniard said at the finish of stage 18 in Salamanca. He would not say who he will ride for next year.

    Mosquera finished 5th, 5th and 4th in the past three editions of the Tour of Spain. Until he joined Xacobeo Galicia, he rode for squads which did not qualify for the Vuelta.

    The creation of a Pro Continental team in his province of Galicia has put him on another level, but lack of funds make the future of this team uncertain. With his current results, Mosquera's profile has been raised so high that he's now strong demand on the market. Movistar (now Caisse d'Epargne) is another team reportedly interested in signing him.

  • Deignan close to deal for 2011

    Philip Deignan (Cervélo TestTeam) celebrates his Vuelta stage win
    Article published:
    September 17, 2010, 6:15 BST
    By:
    Richard Tyler

    Irish rider confident Cervélo roster will find new teams

    Philip Deignan is confident he will soon secure a contract for next season following the sudden collapse of his current team, Cervélo Test Team, last month. The Irish rider, who is recovering from a virus which forced him to withdraw from the Vuelta a España on stage 11, told Cyclingnews he is focussed on finding stability as he turns his attention to next season.

    "My season's over now, so I just need to focus on getting healthy again and start to prepare for next year. I'm still speaking to a couple of teams and hope to get something signed in the next week or so," Deignan said. "It's been pretty positive with the two or three teams I've been speaking to so it looks good to sign something soon."

    Deignan wouldn't be drawn on the identities of the teams he has spoken with, though he did indicate that at least one of the teams is a ProTour squad. He admitted that Sky had approached him last season, however the British team doesn't figure in his current list of options.

    "It's true, I had been speaking with Sky at the end of last year after the Vuelta, but I haven't been speaking with them this year," said the 27-year-old, who is based in Girona, Spain during the season and began his professional career with French outfit Ag2r Prévoyance in 2005.

    "I don't have any problem with the nationality of a team as long as it's a team where I know I'll get a good race programme and good support,” he said. “Obviously they're the most important things to me; that it's a well structured team with a good race programme."

    Confident Cervélo dust will settle

    At the end of 2009 Deignan had agreed to remain with Cervélo until at least the end of next season. The imminent withdrawal of the team from the peloton has left that contract in limbo, but Deignan would rather focus on...

  • Vogondy signs with Cofidis for two years

    French time trial champion Nicolas Vogondy (Bbox Bouygues Telecom) finished third in the time trial.
    Article published:
    September 17, 2010, 6:59 BST
    By:
    Jean-François Quénet

    French time trial champion leaves Vuelta for Worlds

    French time trial champion Nicolas Vogondy has signed a two-year contract with Cofidis. The contract was signed before the start of the Vuelta a Españ’s stage 18, Vogondy’s final stage at the event before flying to Australia for the world championships.

    Vogondy currently competes with Bbox Bouygues Telecom, but team manager Jean-René Bernaudeau is yet to announce a new sponsor for next year.

    “This morning I have signed a two-year contract with Cofidis,” Vogondy told Cyclingnews. “Jean-René told us that he would announce his new sponsor on August 15, then on September 1 and now it’s supposedly for September 20.

    “I’ve called him to tell him that I couldn’t wait any longer,” he added. “To have a contract for two years brings me serenity.”

    Like many Bbox Bouygues Telecom riders the 33-year-old had been patient with the squad’s sponsor search after the team offered him a lifeline following the closure of Agritubel. Vogondy is the sixth rider to leave Bernaudeau joining Yuriy Trofimov (Katusha), Steve Chainel (FDJ), William Bonnet (FDJ), Johann Tschopp (BMC) and Pierrick Fédrigo (FDJ), who signed yesterday.

    Thomas Voeckler, Cyril Gautier, Sébastien Turgot and Pierre Rolland have also been chased by other teams, but remain hopeful that Bernaudeau will come up with good news on Monday.

    Vogondy’s attention will now turn to the Worlds, where he’ll contest the time trial for France. “I’m stopping the Vuelta tonight,” he said. “I’ve worked well for the time trial at the world championship. I’m ready.”

    Vogondy finished 16th in the Vuelta’s 46-km time trial in Peñafiel on Wednesday, just behind race leader Vincenzo Nibali. He will not take part in the road race in Victoria.

  • Chodroff admits to EPO purchase and use

    Jonathan Chodroff
    Article published:
    September 17, 2010, 8:00 BST
    By:
    Daniel Benson

    USADA issues two-year ban for Papp client

    Jonathan Chodroff has admitted to buying and using erythropoietin (EPO) in early 2007 and has been given a two-year sanction by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA). The American, who rode for Jelly Belly in 2010, purchased the doping product online through a store run by Joe Papp before turning professional in 2009. He has fully confessed and has urged other riders who may be under investigation by USADA to do the same.

    “I’m taking full responsibility for purchasing a doping product over the internet about three and a half years ago,” Chodroff told Cyclingnews. “It was an internet store that was later to be revealed to be managed or designed or backed by Joe Papp.

    “I couldn’t live with myself by fighting this. It’s not fair to USADA and it’s not fair to the other riders. I want to fully admit to my errors.”

    Chodroff was contacted by USADA over a week ago. The governing body wrote a letter explaining that they had electronic evidence linking him with the online store. He immediately called USADA and fully confessed.

    “I deeply regret my actions and that I’ve let down my family, friends and the entire cycling community. I’ll have to live with this for the rest of my life,” he said. “The least I can do is be completely honest with the governing body and take full responsibility for my actions.”

    USADA’s CEO Travis Tygart spoke to Cyclingnews and confirmed the sanction. “Jonathan Chodroff was presented with evidence of his violation by USADA and he did the right thing by acknowledging his involvement and accepting the consequences that goes along with it,” said Tygart.

    "I think that's really important in sports, where the cheating may seem normalised, that when athletes are confronted with the evidence, they accept the situation and acknowledge their mistakes and move forward.

    ...
  • Sevilla denies doping charges

    Oscar Sevilla (Ind Ant-Idea-Fla-Lot De Medellin).
    Article published:
    September 17, 2010, 9:25 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    Spaniard calm but surprised

    Oscar Sevilla is “calm” but very “surprised” in light of yesterday's announcement by the International Cycling Union (UCI) outlining that the Spaniard has been provisionally suspended after testing positive for a banned substance last month.

    "I found out this morning and woke up with the news,” he told Biciciclismo. “I'm surprised because I do not know what that substance is and where it came from."

    The UCI said that Sevilla returned a positive urine test for hydroxyethel starch at the Vuelta a Colombia on August 15. On that day he won the closing time trial of the Vuelta and finished the race second overall. The 33-year-old can ask to have the B sample tested.

    "I'm talking to the doctors to see what may have happened. I have a clear conscience, I have not done anything irresponsible and will have to wait," he said.

    He was not happy with the timing of the UCI's announcement, however. "It also hurts me how they filter things and judge before they know what happened. I do not understand the UCI.”

    Sevilla turned pro in 1998 with Kelme and rode for Phonak in 2004 before joining T-Mobile. He was fired from the German team for his relationship to Dr. Eufemiano Fuentes. Sevilla subsequently rode for Relax-GAM and Rock Racing, before returning to the Continental ranks this season.

  • Eisel and Wrolich to Worlds for Austria

    Will Eisel be let off the leash when the race hits the cobbles?
    Article published:
    September 17, 2010, 9:44 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    No women but strong U23 mens team

    Bernhard Eisel (HTC-Columbia) and Peter Wrolich (Milram) will represent Austria in the world championships in Melbourne, but the country is looking to its U23 team to win a medal.

    Austria is sending four U23 riders, pinning their hopes on Daniel Schorn, who rides for the German Continental Team NetApp. He most recently won two stages at the Tour de Slovaquie.

    For the elite men's road race, Austria could have sent three riders, but the other three possible riders have all decided not to go. Thomas Rohregger (Milram) and Matthias Brändle (Footon-Servetto) both said that they were not in any condition to ride the race. Stefan Denifl of Cervelo TestTeam was to have been the third rider, but last week had to abandon the Vuelta due to illness.

    Eisel also abandoned the Vuelta, but earlier in the race. He will be the captain of the two-man team. “I will put myself fully in Bernhard's service and support as best I can,” said Wrolich “He is the one who could possibly do well.”

    Austria has decided not to send a women's team to the Worlds this year, and the elite men will not ride the time trial.

    Elite Men

    Bernhard Eisel (HTC-Columbia)
    Peter Wrolich (Milram

    U23 Men
    Andreas Hofer (Tyrol Team) road and time trial
    Matthias Krizek (Tyrol Team)
    Georg Priedler (RC ARBÖ Wels Gourmetfein)
    Daniel Schorn (Salzburg)

     

  • Uncertain future for Cancellara

    Time trial world champion Fabian Cancellara (Saxo Bank) finished third in stage 17's 46km race of truth.
    Article published:
    September 17, 2010, 10:05 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    2011 team choice, Worlds participation still pending as Swiss abandons Vuelta

    Fabian Cancellara has abandoned the Vuelta a Espana midway through stage 19 with doubts still hanging over both his participation in the upcoming Worlds in Melbourne, Australia, and his choice of team for next year. Still under contract with Saxo Bank's Bjarne Riis for one more season, the Swiss powerhouse meanwhile admitted to L'Equipe this morning that he was negotiating his current commitment.

    Rumour has it that Cancellara could buy himself out of his current contract in view of joining another team, possibly the new outfit created around the Schleck brothers in Luxembourg. But another new squad, Australian Pegasus Racing has also contacted Cancellara's agent, as well as the American BMC team. Asked where he would race next year, the two-time Paris-Roubaix winner told L'Equipe, "I still have one more year of contract with Saxo Bank and we are currently discussing it."

    The Swiss rider could thus decide to leave the team, just like he could opt to stay. "Bjarne and I are adults and every one of us needs to find his advantages in the deal. I want our discussions to focus on the human and professional aspect of my career, and not only on numbers," he added.

    Cancellara has worked with three team managers in his professional career: First with Patrick Lefevere at Mapei (2001-2002), then with Giancarlo Ferretti at Fassa Bortolo (2003-2005), and finally with Riis at CSC and later Saxo Bank (since 2006). "I think I have always taken the right decisions in my career. Every year, I've taken it one step further."

    But now, the mutliple world champion wants to "remain the leader of my destiny. I haven't settled my future yet. I don't want to hurt Bjarne, nor Alberto [Contador, the new team leader]... not even Fränk [Schleck]," he said.

    His participation in the Worlds two weeks from now is also still uncertain. Having been beaten by Peter Velits and Denis Menchov in the last time trial at the Vuelta, 'Spartacus'...

  • Cunego to miss Tour of Lombardy

    Damiano Cunego (Lampre-Farnese Vini)
    Article published:
    September 17, 2010, 11:10 BST
    By:
    Barry Ryan

    Italian will focus on classics and skip Giro in 2011

    Damiano Cunego (Lampre-Farnese Vini) will not ride the Tour of Lombardy and will instead finish his season at the Giro di Toscana on September 26. He had already withdrawn from consideration for the Italian team for the world championships ahead of its announcement on Tuesday. Cunego also revealed to Cyclingnews that he will skip the 2011 Giro d’Italia in order to concentrate on the classics.

    “I won’t ride Lombardia because I’ve ridden an awful lot this year: the classics, the Giro and the Tour,” Cunego said. “Honestly, I don’t think I’d be able to go on for another month, I’m very tired. I think it’s a mistake to take part in races when you don’t have the condition, you need to rest too.”

    Cunego has endured a somewhat frustrating campaign in 2010. In spite of being present at the front end of races from February right up to last weekend’s GP de Québec, the man from Cerro Veronese has failed to register a single victory this season. The Giro di Toscana will be his final chance to chalk up a win but Cunego is already looking ahead to next season. Having learnt from the mistakes of the year gone by, he has a radical change of programme in mind.

    “The classics are my main objective for next spring, and at this point in time, I don’t think I’ll ride the Giro d’Italia,” Cunego explained. “If you ride both of them, you only end up doing the two of them badly.”

    “To train for the classics, I have to do a specific type of training and then a different kind for the Giro, of longer climbs and longer hours in the saddle,” he continued. “I’ve tried doing both in recent years and it hasn’t worked out. Now I know I have to do one or the other.”

    “When you do the classics and the Giro, sooner or later you pay for it. Evans did the classics pretty well and the Giro...