TechPowered By

More tech

First Edition Cycling News for September 20, 2007

Date published:
September 20, 2007, 1:00 BST
  • End of the Guerini era at T-Mobile

    Time for a few drinks...
    Article published:
    September 20, 2007, 1:00 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    By Susan Westemeyer It was the end of an era in magenta on Wednesday as Giuseppe Guerini did not...

    By Susan Westemeyer

    It was the end of an era in magenta on Wednesday as Giuseppe Guerini did not start the 17th stage of the Vuelta a España due to illness, thus putting an end to his 15-year career. He had been with T-Mobile Team/Team Telekom since 1999, longer than any other rider currently with the team.

    The 37 year-old announced last month that he would stop riding after the Vuelta. His career highlights include two Tour de France stage wins and two second-place finishes in the Giro d'Italia.

    While the Bergamo native has started 19 Grand Tours, he has never finished the Vuelta, which he started four times. "I have no real feelings for the Vuelta," he told Cyclingnews in a January interview. "I like the Giro a lot because it was the first big win of my career, and I love the Tour now, so normally at the end of the season, I always feel very tired."

    His team and his sponsor paid tribute to him, as a man and as a rider. "Giuseppe Guerini is one of the most pleasant riders in the team history," Christian Frommert, director of sponsoring communications for sponsor Deutsche Telekom told Cyclingnews. "He was always a good representative, both on and off the bike. He is a real gentleman and we really wish him all the best for his private life and his career after his cycling career."

    Rolf Aldag was Guerini's teammate for many years and also worked with him as the team's sport director this season. "And so ends a great career," Aldag said on the team's website, t-mobile-team.com. "I have always appreciated Giuseppe very much. He is very friendly and a real team player. I hope that he enjoys the time with his family and his life after his riding career."

  • Boonen still uncertain

    Article published:
    September 20, 2007, 1:00 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    With just over a week remaining before the elite men's road race in Stuttgart, Belgium's Tom Boonen...

    With just over a week remaining before the elite men's road race in Stuttgart, Belgium's Tom Boonen is still deciding whether the injuries sustained in the Vuelta will allow him to take the start. According to a press release issued by Boonen's Quick.Step - Innergetic team, Boonen trained for almost four hours on Wednesday and will make a final decision after another long ride on Thursday.

    "My back didn't give me any trouble," said Boonen of the ride. "But I still have a few problems with my right knee as consequence of Zaragoza's crash. Tomorrow I'll be doing another long training session after which I'll be able to see my condition with respect to my participation at the World Championships."

  • Gerdemann to skip Worlds

    Article published:
    September 20, 2007, 1:00 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    Tour de France stage winner Linus Gerdemann has taken himself off the German team for the upcoming...

    Tour de France stage winner Linus Gerdemann has taken himself off the German team for the upcoming World Road Championships having recently been to withdraw from the Tour of Britain suffering stomach problems.

    "It wasn't an easy decision to make," Gerdemann said on his team's website, t-mobile-team.com. "I was really looking forward to racing the Worlds on home turf, but right now I feel that I am not in the right physical shape to help the team. You need to be in top form for a race like that - and I don't have that kind of form."

    He did not make the decision alone, but first consulted team manager Bob Stapleton and sport director Rolf Aldag, both of whom supported his decision. "After riding the Tour de France and the Deutschland-Tour, Linus is no longer in good enough form and the stomach problems come on top of that," said Aldag. "So it is only fair now that he scratches his start and lets someone else take his place in the team."

  • Spanish announce Worlds TT selections

    Article published:
    September 20, 2007, 1:00 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    Francisco Antequera, the Spanish national selector, announced on Wednesday the Spanish squad for...

    Francisco Antequera, the Spanish national selector, announced on Wednesday the Spanish squad for time trials at the World Road Championships. The men's elite time trial will be contested by Spanish time trial champion José Iván Gutiérrez and Luis León Sánchez (both Caisse d'Epargne).

    Gutiérrez will try to win his first world title after being Spanish champion four times and finishing second at the Worlds in 2005 to Aussie Michael Rogers. Young Luis León Sánchez was chosen out of three riders, himself, Santos González (Karpin Galicia) and Iker Camaño (Saunier Duval).

    Antequera explained that his selection was difficult, as none of the three selected riders performed well during the individual time trial on Stage 8 of the Vuelta. "Even if [Sánchez] and myself know that he is not in his best form because he had to work for his team at the Vuelta, he is the best selection because he is a specialist with a bright future," said Antequera. "It's evident that he won't win this year, but the experience will benefit him for future World Championships."

    The riders who will contest the under 23 time trial are Rafa Serrano and Sergio Domínguez while the women's selection is Maribel Moreno and Marta Vilajosana. The team will travel from Barcelona to Stuttgart on Monday. The time trial competitions will be held on Wednesday and Thursday.

    Courtesy of Monika Prell

  • Jaksche suspended for one year

    Jaksche at the Euskal Bizikleta in June.
    Article published:
    September 20, 2007, 1:00 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    Jörg Jaksche was handed a one year suspension by the Austrian cycling federation on Wednesday,...

    Jörg Jaksche was handed a one year suspension by the Austrian cycling federation on Wednesday, having been found guilty of taking EPO and growth hormones, as well as having used blood doping. The suspension was backdated to run from July 2, 2007, the day Jaksche made his public confession to German magazine Speigel. Such violations usually carry a two year ban, but the federation applied the 'state's witness' regulation, which reduces the sentence when the suspect cooperates.

    Jaksche's hearing, closed to the public at his request, was held by the anti-doping committee of the Österreichischer Radsport Verein (ÖRV) since the German resides in Kitzbuhel, Austria and therefore races under an Austrian licence. The 30 year-old has the right to appeal the suspension to the ÖRV's independent judiciary committee and ultimately to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

    The former Tinkoff Credit Systems rider was also required to pay 1,500 euro to cover the costs of the hearings.

    Jaksche was the first rider implicated in Operación Puerto to publicly confess his involvement with Spanish doctor Eufemiano Fuentes. According to Austrian press agency APA, he repeated that confession on Wednesday but with more detail, and said he would make himself available as a witness to the World Anti-Doping Agency, the UCI and to justice officials.

    His suspension must still be approved by the UCI. "When the UCI receives official notification, it will review the case and decide whether it accepts the decision," UCI spokesman Enrico Carpani told German press agency dpa.

  • Grand Tours out of the ProTour

    Article published:
    September 20, 2007, 1:00 BST
    By:
    Susan Westemeyer

    After three years of disagreement, UCI president Pat McQuaid has said the governing body is ready to...

    After three years of disagreement, UCI president Pat McQuaid has said the governing body is ready to accept demands from Grand Tour organisers to no longer be part of the ProTour system. Changes to the ProTour calendar could be made as soon as next year after both parties agreed to resolve their ongoing feud by September 21.

    "We've sent proposals to the organisers of the three three-week Tours before September 21," McQuaid told AFP. "We have agreed to meet their demands which consist of no longer being part of the ProTour. We've been at loggerheads for the past three years, it can't go on." McQuaid had previously said he was prepared to negotiate technical aspects of the ProTour but was not prepared to scrap it altogether.

    In a recent interview with Cyclingnews, Patrice Clerc, president of Tour de France organisers ASO (Amaury Sports Organisation) said: "Since the beginning, we don't want to be part of [the ProTour], and ask to find a different solution - they don't want to. Every time we found some acceptable common grounds, it was put in the trash. Now, if the UCI changes its opinions, its government, its direction - maybe then things could be different."

    Having studied the UCI's latest proposals, which are thought to insist on promoting the ProTour series globally, Clerc told AFP: "They are extremely worrying as regards the future of cycling."

    Cyclingnews' recent coverage of the ProTour-Grand Tours split

    October 4, 2008 - New ASO chief to maintain values
    September 26, 2008 - UCI declares peace, appoints new VP
    August 30, 2008 - UCI re-signs five ProTour races