TechPowered By

More tech

First Edition Cycling News for August 11, 2005

Date published:
August 11, 2005, 1:00 BST
  • Scotland team announced for Tour of Britain

    Article published:
    August 11, 2005, 1:00 BST
    By:
    Tim Maloney, European Editor

    The Scottish cycling squad who will face the world's top international teams in the UK's premier...

    The Scottish cycling squad who will face the world's top international teams in the UK's premier cycling race, the Tour of Britain, was announced at Drumlanrig Castle, Dumfries & Galloway. Four Scotland team positions have been confirmed with a further two still up for grabs.

    The confirmed Scottish places will go to Alex Coutts (21), from Gorebride who races with the Belgian Pro team, Flanders, Gary Hand (23), from Livingston who is part of the Pedalpower racing team; Evan Oliphant (23), from Wick, who races for the UK Pro team, MC Reclying.co.uk and Duncan Urquhart (33), from Tiree who is in the army and lives in Hampshire.

    "All four are proven international riders and all will also be racing to secure places in next year's Commonwealth Games in Melbourne," Scottish National Cycling Coach, Graeme Herd, said. "All these riders rode exceptionally well in last year's Tour of Britain and will be looking this year to emulate the success of team mate Duncan Uquhart's podium position after last year's first stage."

    The Scottish squad riders vying for the final two places are Gareth Montgomerie, from Castle Douglas; Stuart McGregor, from Motherwell, James McCallum, from Uddingston, Dave Smith from Thurso and Robert Palmer, who qualifies via parentage.

    Two of the Scottish squad were in training today in the grounds of Drumlanrig Castle which is one of the most scenic parts of the course. said: "I am training hard to secure a place in the Scottish team," Gareth Montgomerie said while training in the grounds of Drumlanrig Castle, one of the most scenic parts of the Scottish course of the Tour of Britain. "It would be great to be racing at this kind of level up against some of the world's best riders on roads that I have cycled on all my life."

    "The competition is going to be really tough to beat, but it will be great to be racing in Scotland with a Scottish jersey on," Evan Oliphant added, who was traniing with Montgomerie....

  • Naibo to Ag2r

    Article published:
    August 11, 2005, 1:00 BST
    By:
    Tim Maloney, European Editor

    The 23 year-old Carl Naibo (Bretagne-Jean Floc'h) will join the professional ranks as of next...

    The 23 year-old Carl Naibo (Bretagne-Jean Floc'h) will join the professional ranks as of next season. Frenchman Naibo, who won the overall classification of the Tour de l'Ain on Wednesday, has signed a two-year deal with the Ag2r team directed by Vincent Lavenu. At Ag2r, Naibo will be working for Tour de France fourth placed Fransisco Mancebo in 2006.

  • Two Spaniards for Discovery

    Article published:
    August 11, 2005, 1:00 BST
    By:
    Tim Maloney, European Editor

    The Discovery Channel ProCycling team has signed two Spanish riders for 2006: Egoi Martinez...

    The Discovery Channel ProCycling team has signed two Spanish riders for 2006: Egoi Martinez (Eusklatel-Euskadi) and José Angel Gomez Marchante (Saunier Duval). The 27 year-old Martinez has signed a two-year deal with the American team. His Basque directeur sportif Manuel Madariaga is aware that his rider could not deny the apparently generous offer of Johan Bruyneel.

    "I've spoken to Bruyneel and I know that the rider said that he owed us a lot, but that an offer like that didn't come around every day," Madariaga told Diario Vasco. Martinez won the Tour de l'Avenir in 2003.

    Gomez Marchante is currently still under contract for another year with Saunier Duval, but will reportedly buy his way out of the agreement to join Discovery. Marchante climbed the Mont Ventoux for second place in this year's Dauphiné Libéré. Another rider apparently targeted by Bruyneel is Illes Balears' Xabier Zandio.

  • T-Mobile and Fassa Bortolo announce San Sebastian rosters

    Article published:
    August 11, 2005, 1:00 BST
    By:
    Tim Maloney, European Editor

    The Clasica San Sebastian, this season's 20th ProTour race, will hit it off on Saturday in the...

    The Clasica San Sebastian, this season's 20th ProTour race, will hit it off on Saturday in the Basque country. The race will follow its traditional course through the province of Guipuzkoa and roll along scenic coastal roads before heading inland where the riders will face a series of sharp climbs. Six categorised climbs, including the Cat. 1 Alto de Jaizkibel are sure to shake things up in the peloton.

    The local Euskaltel-Euskadi riders will be looking to make amends for a poor showing in the Tour de France, with Iban Mayo, Haimar Zubeldia and Aitor Gonzalez all starting. Italian classics specialists Paolo Bettini, Davide Rebellin and certainly ProTour points leader Danilo Di Luca will be motivated for the race. In total 20 teams - including four wild card continental teams - with eight riders will line up on Saturday.

    German T-Mobile Team has announced a roster of classics specialists and climbers to Saturday's Clasica San Sebastian, headed by Spanish duo Paco Lara and Oscar Sevilla. "This is always a very challenging race. Due partly to the sweltering heat that usually rages there, but also because of the tough parcours," directeur sportif Frans van Looy said.

    Because of the withdrawal of Alexandre Vinokourov (cold) and new dad Giuseppe Guerini, Van Looy has had to reshuffle his cards. Coming into the roster, although originally scheduled for a German event (Rund um die Hainleite) are Sergey Ivanov and Andreas Klier. "We will probably see a small lead group form [at the Alto de Jaizkibel]. We have to make sure we are alert and ready," Van Looy continued. The parcours could suit Matthias Kessler in particular. "He is a prime candidate for a good placing, as are our Spaniards," adds van Looy.

    The T-Mobile roster in Spain will thus include: Sergey Ivanov, Matthias Kessler, Paco Lara, Daniele Nardello, Oscar Sevilla, Andreas Klier, Christian Werner and Steffen Wesemann.

    Meanwhile, Italian team Fassa Bortolo has also...

  • Divorce, Italian style

    Article published:
    August 11, 2005, 1:00 BST
    By:
    Cycling News

    By Tim Maloney, European Editor Although the rumours have been around since the Giro d'Italia, it...

    By Tim Maloney, European Editor

    Although the rumours have been around since the Giro d'Italia, it appears now that the team cohabitation between Lampre and Cafitta will finish up at the end of the 2005 season. Team co-manager Giuseppe Saronni's Lampre squad is where diesse Giuseppe Martinelli will end up along with his protegé Damiano Cunego as well as most of the key riders from the current Lampre-Cafitta squad. Valsir, a Brescia, Italy based building products company that is currently a co-sponsor of the Barloworld team, and Lampre will likely be riding Wilier Triestina bicycles as they did in 2004, before the fusion with Cafitta, when they switched to Cannondale.

    As for Lampre-Cafitta team co-manager Claudio Corti, it's not clear where he and the Cafitta sponsorship are going in 2006, but one thing is sure: Lampre-Cafitta's Giro d'Italia runner up Gibo Simoni will be riding elsewhere in 2006. The oldie but still goodie Simoni, who turns 34 later this month, is reportedly being courted by Quick.Step, Cofidis and Illes Balears for next season.

    In other transfer news, 14 year pro Andrea Noé will stay with Liquigas-Bianchi, while last year's World Pro Road Championship bronze medalist Luca Paolini will leave Quick.Step to join Liquigas-Bianchi.

  • An interview with Sylvia Schenk

    blank
    Article published:
    August 11, 2005, 1:00 BST
    By:
    Tim Maloney, European Editor

    Former German Cycling Federation (BDR) president and current member of the Union Cycliste...

    Strong-minded Sylvia Schenk continues quest for Law & Order - Part I

    Former German Cycling Federation (BDR) president and current member of the Union Cycliste International (UCI) Management Committee, Sylvia Schenk believes that the upcoming UCI election has been seriously compromised and filed a complaint with the International Olympic Committee's (IOC) Ethics Commission in June 2005. Schenk complained about the UCI's financial support of Pat McQuaid, Road Commission President and UCI president-elect, and is about to file another complaint with the UCI Appeals Board before eventually taking the case all the way up to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), as she told Cyclingnews' Hedwig Kröner in an exclusive interview. (See also: Part II)

    Schenk, a Frankfurt attorney, alleges that McQuaid's cost of living in Switzerland has been entirely paid for by the UCI since February 2005, and that it violates Article 52 of the UCI Constitution. "Pat McQuaid obviously lives in Switzerland at the expense of the UCI since February - and Verbruggen doesn't deny that," she said. "So one has to conclude that there is either a contract existing or if there isn't a contract, it represents a by-pass of the Constitution which stipulates that no member of the Management Committee may have a contract with the UCI at the same time."

    Schenk also questions the UCI's - or more personally, its president Hein Verbruggen's - involvement and handling of the upcoming election for presidency. Verbruggen, who is already Chairman of the IOC Coordination Commission, is leaving the UCI for an as-yet unknown position with the IOC, after the vote for presidency at the UCI Congress is held during the World Road Championships in Madrid on September 23, 2005.

    The 42 voting delegates will determine which candidate of the three - Irishman Pat McQuaid, Malay Darshan Singh or Spaniard Gregorio...