TechPowered By

More tech

Team DFL-Cyclingnews-Litespeed

The final race of the Rockhampton Cup

A break from a break

Cycling News
December 23, 2007, 0:00 GMT,
April 22, 2009, 20:23 BST

By Cameron Jennings I'm back into the daily swing of training now after a good four week break up...

By Cameron Jennings

I'm back into the daily swing of training now after a good four week break up home. My break away from the bike was interrupted for three days when the Rockhampton Cup on Wheels rolled into the town on the 9th and 10th of November. I headed out for a ride Thursday morning just to make sure I was not completely useless come Friday night, then proceeded to beg, borrow and steal a track bike and line up for one of the richest track carnivals on the East Coast.

A week of rain leading up to the carnival made a few people nervous, but come the day the clouds had rolled away and the two days racing were completed without rain delay. Like many other years a few popular names from the southern states made the trip up to Rockhampton.

In the past it has been the Hopkins brothers, Ryan Bailey and of course the local girls Anna and Kerrie Meares making the trip, whereas this year it was a bunch of Victorians in the shape of Mitchell Docker, Nic Sanderson, Hamish Taylor and Brad Edmunds. Miles Olman was also home after winning two amateur Six Days in Amsterdam and Dortmund, and local favourite Grant Irwin also made the trip up for his new Brisbane home. The boys put on the good show for the Rockhampton viewing public and had a good time while they were at it.

So to the racing. Things actually went pretty good, and I was going a little better than I thought I was going to go. Friday night felt a little dusty with making the Keirin final about my only highlight, but Saturday night went a little better: 4th in the Elimination then winning my wheelrace heat and making it through to the final where I came second behind Lindsay "Pidge" McMaster.

I picked up a bit of money which is the main thing. I finished off the night with the Madison, then a 20 lap scratch race, then it was off to the Olman's house to have a few drinks and for a bit of early morning story telling.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank a few sponsors of the carnival. It was pushed forward a number of weeks so a few sponsors were caught by surprise, but still came up with the money to keep the carnival going. Some of these sponsors have supported the cycling club for many years and have also helped me out financially in the past. So to:

Central Queensland University
In Focus Financial Management
CQ Crane Hire
Trevor McMaster Air-conditioning
WIN News
Rockhampton Morning Bulletin,

... and to the sponsors I am sure I have forgotten, thank you very much.

Also big thanks must go to a number of dedicated volunteers here in Rockhampton who help get everything organised and to Damo Harris and Brett Ruff for the entertaining banter and commentary.

Til next time we meet.

Cameron Jennings

Cameron Jennings (DFL/Cyclingnews)

Victory Down Under

Cycling News
November 09, 2007, 0:00 GMT,
April 22, 2009, 20:23 BST

Hi all, Well I am back home in Rockhampton enjoying a break from everything cycling after the team's...

Hi all,

Well I am back home in Rockhampton enjoying a break from everything cycling after the team's successful trip to Victoria for the Jayco Herald Sun Tour.

I arrived back in Australia on Friday October 5 and settled back into life with the family and the girlfriend. After recovering from the flight home and getting in some good training rides, albeit very early training rides with the guys up home (ie 4:45am), I travelled down to Melbourne the following Friday to meet the Bernie, Munge, Lloydy, Dag, Eric and Mark to drive to Bendigo. Rhys and Harro would join us the next day.

Everyone was in good spirits, but poor old Munge was a bit tired after arriving in Australia the day before just a couple of days after completing Circuito Franco-Belg and the equally challenging Nico Mattan's 'end of career' party. I met the soigneur for the tour, Chris, who volunteered his own time to look after us for the week and gain some invaluable experience. After a quick, cold ride in Bendigo that afternoon and a couple of drinks and stories that night, we were all in a good mood and ready for the Sun Tour.

Saturday we got up early and participated in a fun ride with hundreds of other cyclist as a part of the cycling weekend promoted in Bendigo. I say fun ride but it was anything but. A few of the guys and other teams were keen to set a pretty quick/uncomfortable pace for the 90 kilometre loop and we got back home in no time with a pretty healthy average.

Bendgio Criterium

The opening stage in the 2007 Jayco Herald Sun Tour was the Bendigo Clasic race. An hour-long crit around a tough circuit in the heart of Bendigo. It was great to catch up with my parents as they came down from Rockhampton to watch and follow the tour in its entirety. Also down for the tour was Munge's old boy Jeff and best mate Glen - it was good to see you again 'Knackers'.

This wasn't an official stage in the race, but the winner would get the chance to race the first stage of the tour in the coveted yellow jersey. It was also a chance for the riders to fire the opening salvos in the race and blow the cobwebs out. I considered myself to be pretty active early in the race and got away in a break and then Bernie got away soon after in a strong break with all the big teams represented.

The bunch was pulled out with 10 minutes remaining while Bernie and the break were left to fight it out. He was looking good but was brought down in a fall with three laps remaining. Luckily he was unhurt as he was on form after a third overall in the Tour of Tassie the week before. The stage was taken out by Astana ride Aaron Kemps.

Stage 1 Bendigo - Nagambie

The tour's first stage was on pretty early, as to be expected, along with the strong hot north westerly wind. Bernie showed no after effects of the previous day's crash and was away in a strong group early. After 30 kilometres we headed towards the second climb of the day up Mt Alexander and the group was still away. Bernie scored points on the two climbs and was second in the competition.

I got gapped a little over the climb but was able to get back on with a strong group, unfortunately the break of the race was already up the road. Rhys and Munge also came back and immediately we set about a chase along with a couple of Drapac riders. The time gap came down, but then began to go out again and we shut things down and turned our attention to the coming days. We rolled in 12 minutes down, but still in reasonable spirits and determined to turn things around.

Stage 2 Mitchelton Winery - Mansfield

The strong northerly winds were replaced with an even stronger southerly. The race and thoughts of the present weather conditions were put on hold though as prior to the start the bunch paused for a minutes silence in memory of Scott Peoples, the young talented Victorian cyclist who was killed on the road last year. It certainly put things in perspective and we all realised that we are the lucky ones, despite the strong wind and hills that we were about to face.

Straight away from the flag drop it was on and into groups. Munge got caught behind a crash after 20 metres of the race and spent the rest of the day chasing with a small group. A dangerous group formed early with no Jayco Australian National Team riders represented. After 60 kilometres of hard racing/chasing it was all back together at the bottom of the first climb of the day up Strathbogie. We were present at the front to help Bernie get into the King of the Mountains jersey. Close to the top Jorg Ludewig attacked and as I jumped across taking a few with me, Bernie included, we were away.

Bernie picked up points on Strathbogie and the second KOM, getting the competition's lead. Bonnie Doon came and went and our lead was about 3.30 minutes, so we were assured of staying away but I was feeling a little dusty. Ludewig attacked with seven kilometres to go and Bernie and brother Wes joined him. I was in the chasing group of four, but sitting back with watching proceedings with Bernie up the road. Wes won the day, Bernie third with the KOM jersey and I came across the line sixth. I don't think Ludewig realised that the two guys he was away with were brothers, but I am sure he knows now as the boys from Flowery Gully stitched him up pretty good in the last kilometre. It was a good day for the team and making amends for the previous day's debacle.'s Matt Wilson was still in yellow.

Stage 3 Mansfield - Beechworth

Today our main goal was to retain the KOM jersey for Bernie. With the KOM coming early in the day Munge, Dag and Rhys did a great job setting a good pace up the climb with Lloyd and myself coming up in the last kilometre to lead Bernie out. Bernie got the first place points and Lloyd placed second at the top. It was pretty hectic over the top and down the descent before things settled down a little before the uphill run into Beechworth.

A decent size bunch was away, but along with Munge, Rhys and Dag again did a heap of work on the front to bring things back for Bernie who was feeling good and the tough finish suited him. It was all back together with one kilometre to go and Bernie sprinted away to sixth on the day.

There was still one attack left in the bunch after the finish line, as one of the Dutch National riders got swooped by a Magpie. Worth a good chuckle as the Dutchy didn't know what was going on. Cry's of "Godverdomme stomme Vogels" ran loud and clear through the streets of Beechworth.

Stage 4 Beechworth - Falls Creek

Stage 4 is the Queen stage of the tour, with the 116 kilometre effort finishing on top of the 30 kilometre climb to Falls Creek. Apart from the climb to Falls Creek there was another nasty climb after 60 kilometres which split the bunch, but after a quick descent I caught back up to the peloton and it was a pretty large group at the foot of Falls Creek.

I guess the true climb up Falls began 10 kilometres from the line as the preceding 20 kilometres included a lot of flat and downhill sections. As 10 kilometres to go ticked over I rode at my limit and did what I could up there, I was determined to keep my top 20 classification, but at the line I had slipped just out of the top 20 as I lost eight minutes to the winner Steve Morabito. Dan Lloyd and Bernie were again climbing well and although Bernie and our team did their best Bernie lost his lead in the KOM comp as the winner Morabito snatched it from him for winning up the highest classified climb.

Matt Wilson had a great ride up the hill to limit his loses and lost the jersey (for now) by eight seconds to Dutch rider Joost van Lijen. Hats off to Munge, who had a rough day working on the front early and toughed it out to finish and fight another day.

Stage 5 Mt Beauty - Wangaratta

With Bernie now second in the KOM competition on equal points with the Astana rider, we were determined to get it back. The first and only climb of the day was after 35 kilometres so Rhys, Munge and myself set off on front of the bunch along with a couple of Dutchies to set a good pace before the climb. It was all together at the bottom and Dag came to the front as Rhys and Munge cruised back.

I did a long turn on the climb and then Dag took over 1.5 kilometres from the top and set a strong tempo. I got out of there and left it up to Dag, Lloydy and Bernie. I wasn't there to see the sprint but it was close with Bernie taking the inside line and pipping Morabito by a tyre on the line.

After the second intermediate sprint a break of 10 or so formed and I followed a wheel and got across to it. Dag was there and pulled a hard turn and along with Pete Herzig and myself we were away. We were working well and with three kilometres to go we had a gap of 25 seconds. Dag said he was not struggling a bit, but Herzig was still going strong. I was feeling good and felt confident against Pete in the sprint if it came down to it.

Dag lead into the final kilometre and Pete attacked from the back with 500 metres to go and I quickly got to his back wheel. Dag was gapped a little but kept the pressure on which in turn kept the pressure on Pete to keep up his pace. Through the final turn I took the inside line and kicked on in the final 150 metres to take my first professional win ahead of Pete Herzig. It certainly felt good to throw the paws in the air over the line and finally register a win, in Australia no less and in front of parents who have supported me through thick and thin and against their better judgments at times.

It capped of a great day for the team with Bernie regaining the jersey and Dag (Jeremy) getting third on the day. The only sour point for the team today was the DNF of Munge. He had been feeling a bit dusty over the past couple of days, but worked hard at the front for the first 40 kilometres today to help Bernie before the climb, but was subsequently dropped on the hill and decided to call it a day.

Stage 6 Melbourne ITT

We drove from Wangaratta to Melbourne on the previous night for the final two days of the Sun Tour. Stage 6 was a tough little TT around the Botanical Gardens in Melbounrne. Sharp corners, a couple of speed bumps and a couple of hills were on order today and with it all pretty tight up the top of general classification it was going to be an important day for the overall contenders.

My ride went okay, but I suffered due to constraints with getting on the course and having a look at it. I went out in the morning to have a look but was told to get off the course as there were races going on and then was unable to have another look just prior to the TT start as there was another race going on. It may not have made much of a difference to my ride, although I nearly went the wrong way as a marshall was having a chat to a policeman and did not see me coming.

12.14 minutes for me around the course would have to do and I kept my spot in the classification. Matt Wilson rode well to once again regain the jersey going into the last day. Of our guys, Lloyd had a good day to finish in the top 10 and Dag had a shocker and missed the start much to our amusement and Eric's despair. "Dikke Stomme Ezel" as Eric would say.

Stage 7 Melbourne Criterium

The last day of the Jayco Herald Sun Tour began with the customary Sun Tour market where all teams set up and sell some clothes, bikes, wheels to lighten the load for the trip home and help pay for the off season. I sold a couple of things for myself and the team then went and got ready for the crit.

The criterium was on and was keen to let a group go, providing no dangers were present. I had a couple of dips early, but knew pretty early that I was not feeling the best. Rhys got away in the break as it built a good lead and was never going to be caught. For the next 60 minutes we lapped around St Kilda road behind the team, content to leave the break out front. Aaron Kemps won again, making it three wins for him and Matt Wilson weathered the last-minute attacks from Morabito to take out the 2007 Jayco Herald Sun Tour.

For the team we had a good, enjoyable week, minus the first road stage. Bernie won the KOM jersey and scored a third and finished in the top 20. Lloyd was in the top 20 overall, I picked up a stage, a sixth place and fifth in the points, Dag a third and we were fourth in the teams competition. Rhys and Munge rode their hearts out all week on the front at different times for the team so that can never be forgotten or unappreciated. Bikes were spotless at the start of each day thanks for Mark, legs were attended to by Chris every afternoon, suitcases and laundry were done by Rik and the team car driven by perfection once again by Eric (I don't go to race meetings during the tour) Vanderaerden. Can't fault yas, it was a good way to end the year. All that was left was to sell some more kit, chase up a bit of coin and have a few drinks with team-mates, family, friends and our girlfriends later that night.

So I'm now back home and having some time off. Time off will come to an end briefly come November 9 as I line up for the Rocky Cup on Wheels. The event has been pushed forward a couple of months due to a State titles clash, so will be good to throw the leg over a track bike again and race in front of a good home crowd for a bit of coin. Shall let you know how it all goes.

Until next time we meet,
Cameron Jennings

The team shared a few drinks

Good Sun!

Cycling News
October 30, 2007, 0:00 GMT,
April 22, 2009, 20:23 BST

It has been a pretty busy end of the year for me. I had Franco-Belg then just two days after I was...

It has been a pretty busy end of the year for me. I had Franco-Belg then just two days after I was straight on the plane back to Australia, with just enough time to spare for a swim on the Gold Coast, then back on a plane heading to Melbourne for the Herald Sun Tour. By this time I was really over plane rides, that will do me for the year. Franco-Belg was flat out everyday, a very solid tour. This was Nico Mattan's last ride for his career, so there was a few nights of last drinks with a legend; a label he would remind us of most nights.

On the last day of the tour we headed straight to Nico’s farewell party, it was a great night! The next couple of days were time for packing up the Booischot house and preparing for an epic flight home. I got back on the Gold Coast for one night then headed straight down to Melbourne for the Sun Tour. Our good mate Rocko (Director) came out to Australia to look after us, or for us to look after him.

We had a great Sun Tour, with Bernie getting the King of the Mountains jersey and Cameron winning a stage. All round it was great team work by all members. I got sick on the second stage and then rode myself into the Broom Wagon on Friday. It was a serious head cold, but I wasn't really that sad to miss out on the Time Trial and a hard Criterium. I used this time to catch up with the locals and have a few beers with my Dad.

This was a perfect way to end the year for the boys, they where all pumped up and looked like a team. We had some celebration drinks and a dinner on the Sunday night, all the boys where very well behaved because they brought their girlfriends along...good for them.

Time for a drink

Also a big thanks to Rocko, Funky, Rick and Chris for there help during the Sun Tour. So, now I am back on the Gold Coast in the ocean everyday getting ready for the Noosa Criterium weekend. This should be a great couple of days to farewell the bike and lycra for the season.

Rick telling us a real good yarn

For next year it is still uncertain that the Munge (myself) will be going back to Belgium. The team is still finialising the 2008 season, but I hope it will all work out. For now, surfs up, time to get in the green room.

Shake 'n' Bake,

A Couple of Long Breaks

Cycling News
October 01, 2007, 1:00 BST,
April 21, 2009, 11:56 BST

Well, back in Belgium after a trip to America for the Tour of Missouri but more on that later....

Well, back in Belgium after a trip to America for the Tour of Missouri but more on that later. Before I get into that the team race Memorial Rik van Steenbergen here in Belgium and turned into be a pretty successful day.

GP Rik van Steenbergen

Started off with me sleeping through my alarm and missing my train up to Booischot to leave with the team. A hasty phone call later, Gil came down to pick me up and got me to the start late but still with plenty of time to spare. First time for everything I guess.

Race started in its usual hectic way with many of attacks. We were all having a good go at getting away, and after 30km of racing as the race headed into the town of Putte I followed a wheel and I was away in a group of five. Quickly built a lead of one minute and the gap continued to climb steadily to a maximum lead of fiev minutes. As the rain started to fall halfway through the race, I was quite happy to be up front away from the bunch and the associated dangers.

Through the feed zone and onto the two cobble sections our lead was coming down and just prior to entering the local laps with 40-50km to go we were caught. 130km or so out in front with a bit of National TV coverage was good for the team and self satisfying for me. The final 50km was flat out with a strong group of 15 getting away with two laps to go. Matti came in solo in 16th place just behind the group of 15 and the rest of us came in in the peloton a couple of seconds back. Was pretty flogged after the race but happy to have felt good and made something of the race. An day easy, packing and leaving my apartment in Leuven (lease was up) and I was off to America for the Tour of Missouri.

Tour of MO

Kitted up and left for Kansas City, Missouri via a quick stop in Chicago. Arrived in the afternoon and then had a good three days there in Kansas City before the race start to train, enjoy the sun and get ready and maybe check out an old spot or two. Personally I was feeling pretty dusty from the flight and concentrated on the training and resting part and watching an old movie or two in the hotel while the other guys headed into Kansas City for a look. The three days passed and was ready to get the tour underway.

The first three days I continued to feel very average for reasons I am yet to figure out. From feeling great at Rik van Steenbergen just days before I found I could barely 'pull skin off a custard”. To add to this the team had bad luck with Matti puncturing two times on the finish circuits in the first stage and losing three minutes. Kane, Rhys and myself dropped back to help out but all was lost and had no chance of coming back. We then missed the break on the second day. We gave chase for as long as we could but with little help from the other absent teams (apart from Toyota) the break pulled away. The guys set a good pace to prevent the break from gaining a day on us, but any chance of a good overall GC was definitely lost.

It took a great ride by Matti in the Time Trial to finally get the ball rolling on stage three. Matti was one of the early starters and stormed over a very tough TT course, catching six riders enroute (me included) to finish third on the day just behind noted stars like Levi Leipheimer and Nathan O'Neil. Everybody else got through the day.

Finally things had started to go OK for the team. On the long 214km stage four, after a very hectic two hours of racing, I once again got into the right move and had another long day out front. The maximum lead our group got was approx four minutes, but a few teams could smell a bunch sprint and began the chase in earnest some 30km to go. Stayed away for the two intermediate sprints, scoring in one, but we were reeled in with 10km to go; another 130km out in front. Hung in over the tough final couple of kilometres and rolled in with the bunch.

The team continued to go well in the next two stages, with Matti getting away in the day long break and scoring a fine 6th in stage five, and then Jeremy getting away during the final stage around St. Louis. The final day came down to a bunch kick and Gert and Rhys were in a good position, but a nasty crash in the last kilometre ultimately ruined their chances. All that remained of the tour was a quick trip around St. Louis to find our hotel and to step out to the Tour's after party for a well earned night out.

So after a rough start for me and the team with a bit of bad luck things turned out OK. We all enjoyed the tour and the American experience. Organisation was great, great hotels, good hard racing and the people of Missouri embraced the tour and made everyone feel welcome.

A couple more weeks

So not long now before I head home. Bernie kicked things off and headed home today. Tour of Tassie coming up for good old badger and he is in good form so should give it a shake. Another week for me and Jeremy, whereas Rhys is heading home on the 5th and poor old Munge will be bouncing around the house by himself for a couple of more days and heading home on the 9th.

Have just finished my last little block of racing back here in Belgium, with some of the races going well and some forgettable. Koolscamp Championship of Vlaanderen was on Thursday after getting back, and with the flight still in my legs did not go too well. Then had another good/consistent result on Tuesday at a Pro Kermis in Vichte with 20th but then got blown away and around at Lichtervelde the very next day. Stayed upright in the atrocious conditions unlike five of my team-mates, but did not get in the 25 rider split after 20km that decided the race. Nevermind, one more week in Belgium with a bit of training planned, then home for a week to soak up the sun, a few early morning bunch rides and maybe an odd dip in the sea before heading to Melbourne for the Sun Tour to meet up with the guys again for one more race. All looking forward to it.

A couple more things... Congrats to Harro and Jess on their wedding. Good day had by all. Congrats to Matti with his 16th in the Elite Mens TT at the World Champs. Good luck to Dag and Glen Chadwick for Sunday's Road Race

Til next time we meet.

Cameron Jennings

Some one say supersize?

Tour of Missouri

Cycling News
September 19, 2007, 1:00 BST,
April 22, 2009, 20:23 BST

Well I have just come back from the great Tour of Missouri. It was my first time in the States and I...

September 19, 2007

Well I have just come back from the great Tour of Missouri. It was my first time in the States and I wasn't disappointed. Everything is fast food outlets and Super-Size servings!

Arriving a couple of days early in Kansas City gave us time to look around and adjust to the new time zone. Rhys and I where room buddies for the Tour, and between us, many trips to the BP station for coffee, beef jerky and more coffee were made. Ask for a small coffee and you get 500ml, the fridge in our hotels were stocked with 500ml cans of energy drink and 1lt cans of Fosters, only in America! Most of the time we where just wandering around looking at all the crazy stuff you could buy.

We were lucky enough to be staying close to a Harley-Davidson factory which had a huge open day for the public. So the DFL boys rode through there in our lycra while all the bikers with their tattoos and leather jackets looked on in shock, you had to be there! While we were there we picked up some Harley-Davidson beef jerky, very good.

The Tour started out badly for us, Roudy our GC rider, had an unlucky first day with 3 flats, so Rhys, Worm and I dropped out of the pack to help him limit his time losses, but on the 2nd stage we missed the break and lost all GC chances! A sad day!

Roudy luck eventually turned around and on the fast time trial stage, he placed 3rd. A really good effort on a very tough course and up against some big hitters!

Roudy's 3rd place fired the team up and from then on we were in all the moves over the next stages, we even had a crack at the sprint finishes! Stage 5 was another good day for DFL's silent assassin, Roudy, when he placed 6th.

For me the tour was OK, I had a few hard days on the bike but tried to help the boys for the sprints as much as possible!

The Missouri locals came out in force to support us and they where all so nice. We stayed in some great hotels and rode through some really nice parts of Missouri. The supporters would set up on the climbs and along the course, yelling, "Thank you! You can do it! Go faster!" People where just thanking us when we walked down the street before and after the race, when they where the ones being nice and accommodating us! I will definitely be going back next year!

The last stage was a fast circuit right through the middle of St Louis. Dag was the man in the break for DFL, but it wasn't to be and four of them got caught with 5km to go. We set it up for our sprinter, Skruf, but a very bad crash 100m from the line stuffed our chances.

The whole team had a pretty good time at the Tour and performed well after a few bad days.

After the final stage, Tour organizer put on an after party for us, so we all put our best kit on and attended the party. It was great to have a few beers with the boys and catch up with some other Aussie riders.

I came home with a couple of new T-shirts and an NFL jersey. It was one of the best tours this year for me, great racing, friendly people and good sunny conditions.

Now back in Belgium we are faced with grey sky and drizzle! You gotta love it!! We have more one day races over the next weeks before flying home for the Sun Tour on the 9th!

Be Good.


Racing and resting

Cycling News
August 21, 2007, 1:00 BST,
April 21, 2009, 11:56 BST

Hi all, Well Denmark went okay, and I was not feeling too bad after China. I left on Monday to go up...

Hi all,

Well Denmark went okay, and I was not feeling too bad after China. I left on Monday to go up to Bremen and then completed the trip on Tuesday with another five hour drive up to our second stop in Logstor, a little windy town by the sea.

During the first two days I was feeling good early during the stages, but was winding up tired come the day's end. I then started to feel better and had a good third stage with extremely tough finish laps and held my own during the fourth day. Munge had a good ride during the road stage on the fourth day and was away in a good break that got caught three kilometres from home. In the afternoon the Time Trial reared its ugly head, I was feeling good during the pre-ride around the course and my warm up, so I gave it a good solid go. I never do too many TTs during the year, so I was interested in seeing how I would go. I ended the day 1.20 minutes down on overall and averaged 47km/h.

The last day was a right off unfortunately, with a break going in the first five metres of the race. I was up the front in the second row in the middle of the bunch. The break flew up the road on the left and immediately had 1.30 minutes after two kilometres. The bunch just did not react and I was left being a bunch bunny for the rest of the day. Munge had a funny day after feeling a vibration in his pocket and realising he still had his mobile in his back pocket. After taking a few photos in the bunch and then calling Eric on the phone so he could come and pick it up we settled back into the race and got ready for a ensuing bunch sprint. It was pretty hectic, but I stayed out of trouble. I was up the front looking for a late break but the field was strung out and nothing was going to leave the bunch. After a quick shower, drive and then a boat ride over the pond to Germany, we drove to Bremen once again for another stop over as no one was keen on arriving home at 4:30am in the morning.

So I have had a bit of a break this week. I kept training for three days after the race just to ride the tour out of the legs and then took some time off to do a bit of traveling. I spent days in Gent and Maastricht and have been checking out the annual music festival, Maart Rock, here in Leuven. With artists like Kanye West on the bill it was a good couple of days.

Munge had the same idea and headed off to Germany to watch a mate of his in the Kayak World Championships while all the other guys have had their respective break periods during the year and have been busy training. I will be getting back to the busy training this week and a full end of year awaits. The next race for me will be GP Zottegem on August 21.

Til next time we meet.

Team DFL-Cyclingnews-Litespeed

With a bolstered squad including the acquisition of 2005 Gent Wevelgem winner Nico Mattan plus an upgrade to Professional Continental status, look out for the DFL-Cyclingnews-Litespeed boys pounding the pavé of the Belgian Classics and other high profile European races this season. Follow all the adventures of Cameron Jennings and the gang as they battle against snow, cobbles and the lure of Belgian beer in their quest to reach the top tier of Continental road racing. For further reading about the team, visit the To check out Team Cyclingnews during 2005 and earlier, visit the 2005 site. Australia UK USA